Interface Upgrade Toneport UX2 to MiniFuse 2?

Just wondering if it's worth it? I just do home recording as a hobby. I've had the UX2 for years and it has no problems that I know about. However all these videos for volt 276 and MiniFuse get me thinking I should upgrade.

Will I really see any benefits?

I'll repeat whats often said ...depends on what I/O youre needing. Soundwise I dont expect a lot of difference.

Ive had a couple UX2's here and the power feed from a USB can be on the weak side, but its very useable interface as you know.
Are the Preamps going to sound $500 different ...not imo.
The UX2 has the Gearbox/Podfarm which is really like a poor-mans Apollo...and it works really well. The Volt has some too, never tried it.
will the headphone amp be louder? will the preamps be louder?
for our UX2 a mic booster for a SM7b works and the outputs feed a Behringer Multi-Headphone amp unit so plenty of power for monitoring with that.
its humbling how good such a cheap unit can sound like the UX2.

I'll vote NO, you wont see much of a difference in sounds. Will you like the VOLT and Plugins better than the PodFarm? MAYBE...

I agree all the videos can make EVERYTHING sound great. same with mics, and plugins....

There are reviews of both the Volt and Minifuse 1&2 in the current edition of Sound on Sound and they get a pretty good rep. I am going to buy a Volt 2 shortly as it has some bundled plugins that will be of great interest to my son. He records classical guitar in a rather 'dead' flat and would like to add some quality, subtle reverb.
The Mfuse2 also has MIDI ports and a 'loop thru' facility. This puts back the function that USED to be with a Windows OS, that is the ability to record any audio stream going through the computer. The function was lost with W10. Son finds when using ASIO drivers that he cannot monitor YT sounds and has to shut down Samplitude Pro X3 to do so. I think Loop Thru will fix that?

Dave.

not comparing sounds to the UX2, but tech comprison the upgrade for the Volt and Minifuse is obvious.

The new Minifuse & Volt has the USB - C
That would be more power on the Volt and MiniFuse...where the old UX2 is USB 2 (500ma), the USB-C goes 1.5a and beyond, and all the other "new technology" benefits. Would it help make the system recorded music/audio sound better? IDK...

Maybe someone with USB 2.0 vs USB-C interface experience can chime in. Does your PC have USB -C? I know my old PC doesnt.

Thanks all.

PC does not have USB C so no major advantage there. Not sure what extra power really offers me.

I already own Analog Lab so that being included doesn't help either.

Seems like no advantage might be the answer.

What is the mic booster mentioned?

Boosters for Dynamic mics like SM7b , SM57, SM58 and the booster brings them up to a "louder" level.
They really are like a outboard preamp without any knobs, only gain boost.
The Cloudlifter took a active amplifier from a Ribbon-active mic and sell it, but there are cheaper ones like Cathederal Pipes and others.

If you have loud sound sources like guitar amps and drums etc...you dont need a booster, but singing softly into a SM7b the booster can help carry the work as some interface preamps often struggle a bit. (UX2 being one that struggles...I think it has a 15db mic pre or something)

Seems like no advantage might be the answer.
yeah I come to that conclusion a lot..lol :eatpopcorn:
im more gearhead than player so for home hobby, trying different gear has become the hobby past few years.
pretty much more what you like working with, layouts, display, GUI etc..how many I/O do want or need...

sound between 2021 chips and 2010 chips arent huge to a home studio doing music, noise floors in electronics are not even close to a room noise,
the plugins are so many its paralyzing at times...(which reminds me I bought something and havent even loaded it up)

I thought the UX2 was super entry level until I heard some stuff recorded on it that sounded really good. Ive used the UX8 for years and have at times compared others to it and its either a Zero Gain Beneifti or not as good....

eventually some stuff gets forced into retirement like Firewire, USB 1. and WIndows 98 etc...the graveyard.
but from what I read USB 2.0 handles more than a hobby to pro even needs.
one dude has a RME USB 2.0 that does 32 channels etc...no problem.

converters? converter chips...more miniscule a difference imo.

I bought a MONSTER power conditioner and my LDC mics picked up more noise from its transformers...so its sitting in a pile. not used, no benefit.

DAW are now Unlimited tracks...where does a person upgrade from Unlimited Tracks? lol
I suppose a bigger computer with more RAM and SSD speeds might handle 5000 plugins running at the same time.?

Make me wonder how they did all those great albums without plugins and unlimited tracks and 192khz? :confused:

I've done well recently. Considering lots of new gear but buying nothing. I get overwhelmed by the options in instrument plugins and spend all day tinkering and not playing. For my family christmas present I am getting the Positive Grid amp, so that will be more overwhelment and toys :). I really need a new PC but that is the most boring update and so many options out there when I can't afford the perfect solution.

The advantages of USB C are the reversible plug (no groping in the dark with the spiders for the correct orientation and, to my mind, a much more robust connector than USB A or Micro. Even if your laptop does not have the full fat USB C almost all have some USB 3.0 and these can deliver 900mA, nearly twice the current of 2.0. That matters in audio kit because low noise means you need low resistances and low resistance means higher current. Many AIs, my venerable Ni KA6 e.g. struggle to deliver much headphone power and 4 ins, 4 outs, MIDI, SPDIF and cans is pushing 2.0's 500mA limit close to the wire. That extra 0.4A should ease things a lot.

I am pulling the trigger on a Minifuse 2 very soon.

Dave.

And none of the above is relevant to me since I have a working UX2 without any issues :) (the reversible plug advantage has always made me chuckle, not least because I am not unplugging my interface. I'm not going to upgrade interface because of USB C, that's for sure. It'll will be because I get something I don't have now.

Another advantage of my current setup, I just realized, is the UX2 has dedicated line, guitar and 2xMic inputs. This means I can leave my gear setup. The shared plugs on my of the lower cost new ones means constant switching.

And none of the above is relevant to me since I have a working UX2 without any issues :) (the reversible plug advantage has always made me chuckle, not least because I am not unplugging my interface. I'm not going to upgrade interface because of USB C, that's for sure. It'll will be because I get something I don't have now.

Another advantage of my current setup, I just realized, is the UX2 has dedicated line, guitar and 2xMic inputs. This means I can leave my gear setup. The shared plugs on my of the lower cost new ones means constant switching.
Fair enough. Believe me, you WILL appreciate 'foolproof' plugs as you get older and the eyes grow dimmer! Especially if like me you only have one good mince!

I did not aim my dissertation at anyone in particular, just pointing out that 'C' does have those advantages even if the PC only has A type 3.0 ports.
I read a mention of USB FOUR the other day. Must have a shuftey at that!

Dave.

I just got a Antelope ZEN GO...its got the specs and really well done. It reminds me of the UX2.
Its in the 2ch family, it has the real-time tracking PlugIns like Apollo, and Podfarm/GEarbox all the others.
The ZEN GO allows for a bunch of the plugs to be used , like 8! on each channel using its own DSP....so its like the Apollo Twin Im told. It came with 52 free ones. I have older Windows 8/10 and two USB3 blue ports, rest 2.0 and it worked fine and I was up and recording in an hour or so...tracking with
plugins...

but in the end
Is it better than the UX2? I dont know... doodling in the house with this gear, I cant say it makes my final recordings, or weak skills sound any better. That goes for all the gear Ive ever bought. So maybe NO it doesnt make "me" sound better.

Is it a technically better unit with amazing functions and excellent laid out mixer and brilliant hardware knob-control that is so simple you dont need a manual at all... YES, the ZEN GO was really well done and using the same HiEnd parts from a HiEnd company making a entry home studio piece of gear.
5 stars...imo

but Id give the UX2 5 stars for cost, plugPODFARM, simple ease of use and the sound is good enough know one can tell which interface the output came from.

So maybe its all about money? if you have it...go buy top of the line everytime. vintage etc,,, Antelope, RME, UA...
If you dont have the cash, think twice because it might not make "your recordings" sound any better at all.
Im convinced if you cant sing well into a MXL, it wont be much different singing into a Rode Classic tube or U47...for myself at least.

One thing I notice is the UX2/UX8 software has a simple guitar player like vibe, the ZEN GO is also simple but really well done as to not overwhelm, and its powerful and offers more of a mixing mastering vibe , maybe one of the best interface software panels between the interface and DAW.

I totally get what you're saying, I'm only doing this as a hobby, mostly for my own fun, no amount of good guitars is going to make me a good guitar player.

I am getting a new computer, I am not convinced that my UX2 is not showing signs of age, so maybe something simple like a mini fuse will do the job.

The zen go is $500 and has features I don't understand and definitely don't need for this hobby.

that Minifuse with 5 yr warranty is leader on that.
Behringer 3yr, Antelope ZEN GO is 1yr..(in US/ASia) 2yr in UK. Line 6 3yr... RME 2yr...MOTU 2yrs...this is brief Google search....seems like Synthax and Sweetwater can add some extra Warranty time also. Still 5 yrs is like unheard of...

I don 't worry too much about warranty, my Toneport lasted me more than 10 years I think so. Just looking for the best price conscious option.

Back