Interface advice/opinions

pg4c

currently running m-audio fw1814 w/m-audio dmp3 pre. looking at either getting BLA mod on fw1814 which includes: From BLA website "When approaching the FW1814, we wanted first of all to clean up the quality of the audio signal as it heads into and comes out of the conversion process. We achieved this by using an amplifier with roughly half the noise, twenty times the bandwidth, and forty times the speed of the existing circuit. By doing this, we not only reduce noise, we improve the ability of the circuit to provide a clean, detailed signal.

The second area we wanted to address is, of course, the internal clock. We knew from our experiments with clock circuitry and propagation that we would need some way to limit oscillator jitter and noise down to the theoretical minimum, so we've developed an internal clock for the 1814 that utilizes a proprietary method that limits jitter at the clock source to 3-4 picoseconds."

The other option is to sell fw1814 and dmp3 and spend around 600.00 u.s dollars on new interface. I used fw1814 as big dongle for PTMP now I switched to Sonar and will use m-audio fast track pro interface if pt needs to be opened.

I have been looking at several interfaces and have narrowed my choices to
1. Presonus Firestudio Project
2. Focusrite Sapphire Pro10
3. Echo Audiofire 8

I want something that has good enough pre's built into the unit and AD/DA that is better than that of the the fw1814 from m-audio. Alot of people seem to really like the BLA mod, but the Echo Brand seems really interesting and with that option I'd keep my dmp3 and have a total of 4 mic pre's if needed.

any advice/opinions appreciated....

All those units are good but I think it's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. I'm not sure any of them $600 better than the 1814. Maybe you need the extra pres, or is 4 enough? How much is the mod? A sharp clock is always good but are you sure you need to spend on money on your interface? You should be able to get a good sound from the 1814 and you could then invest in something else like new monitors or some nice effects...

Back