Need an interface with lots of inputs and no preamps!

Johnny Don't!

Hey guys! First post here, but I'm not a recording newbie. Really love this forum; a lot of you guys really know yer stuff. ;)

So, I've been upgrading my studio over the past few months; I built a new PC (Intel Core7 3.4Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSDs) and installed my M-Audio Delta 1010LT and have been using a cheapo ART VoiceChannel as my mic-pre/compressor etc., but I recently was given a Tascam M-320B, and the thing sounds great. (It'll sound even better after I've cleaned the connections and re-capped the pre-amp and EQ section.)

My question is, does anyone know of a good out-of-the-box rackmount interface with many inputs and no preamps? I don't need the preamps anymore because I'll using the pre's on the M-320B. My PC has all sorts of connection options for an interface (FireWire, USB 2.0, USB 3.0), and I've noticed some audible hum/noise on the inputs on in-the-box M-Audio card, which I'm assuming is from a combination of ground hum and the noisy interior of my PC case.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Yeah, there is a big hole in the market for cheap interfaces with only line inputs. You are pushing $2G here.

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick replies!! You guys are RAD.

I've seen the MOTU options I think yer both referring to, and yes, they're expensive, but if they're my only option...I'll have to deal with that.

I'm wondering if anyone makes a PCI/PCIe card that would allow an ADAT connection from one of the expansion units PreSonus makes. Any thoughts on that?

I'm wondering if anyone makes a PCI/PCIe card that would allow an ADAT connection from one of the expansion units PreSonus makes. Any thoughts on that?

You can pick up an EMU 1212m for fairly cheap money nowadays. That carries 8 channels of ADAT in and out. The 1212m is just the PCI card, they also do the 1820m with a breakout box. Endless internal routing on that card also!

I know it is £2000 but if you wanted some track count futureproofing?

Antelope Orion 32. There is a very favourable review of it in this June's Sound on Sound.

Dave.

You can pick up an EMU 1212m for fairly cheap money nowadays. That carries 8 channels of ADAT in and out. The 1212m is just the PCI card, they also do the 1820m with a breakout box. Endless internal routing on that card also!

So, if I got the Emu 1212m and then something like a FocusRite OctoPre, I could send the optical outs from the FocusRite into the EMU PCI card's inputs?

Back