Interesting Ebay buy in Georgia?

Looks to be a pretty clean box-stock 48 there...no pics of the heads OF COURSE!!! :spank::eek::mad:

Sheesh picture taker...have another :drunk:!

What kind of tape IS that?? Somebody know how to cross reference the part number? I would bet its sticky prone and/or not appropriate for audio but I don't know.

Looks to be a pretty clean box-stock 48 there...no pics of the heads OF COURSE!!! :spank::eek::mad:

Sheesh picture taker...have another :drunk:!

What kind of tape IS that?? Somebody know how to cross reference the part number? I would bet its sticky prone and/or not appropriate for audio but I don't know.

From what I could find on the web, it is a pancake of tape and was listed as being available still when other formulations such as 456/457.406/407 were around so this might be lower grade voice quality/logging tape as it came in 10,12 and 14" reel sizes.

Also, anything with 4 digits in the model number and starting with an A or B seems to belong to their logging/instrumentation data recording tape, family of products.

More info here;

http://recordist.com/ampex/docs/apxtape.txt

No wonder there's 35 rolls of the shit available with the machine as the previous owner knew this stuff wasn't exactly the right stuff to use with the 48.

The packaging on the boxes is very similar to how they looked back in the mid 70's as I've got some older 456 stock from that era which looks the same, box-wise.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Back