interesting discovery

billmcdonald

A friend of mine had a broken epiphone les paul special jr and he gave it to me to fix up (just to have something to do...I enjoy messing arround with things, even if they may never work again) and I was using sandpaper to get off the laquer (its all I have right now) and to my suprise, doing a little sanding revealed a texas college football logo.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/518717/

which would mean that the 300 dollar guitar is exactly the same as the 90 dollar guitar.

I dont know why anyone would buy a collegiate guitar anyways (probably not anyone that plays guitar :confused: :p ) but I still found it pretty interesting.

any thoughts?

also, does anyone know of a better way to get the paintjob/laquer off of a guitar? :D

It's probably more expensive because of whatever licensing fee they'd need to pay to use those logos.

I heard that whenever Rickenbacker got a custom order for a Jet-Glo guitar they would just pull a Fire-Glo off the rack and paint it black.

Probably the same thing - for some screwed up capitalistic reason, it's cheaper for them to make a boat load of collegiate guitars and then paint them black or white when they need to fill an order of LP Junior Specials.

Or maybe they made more Texas guitars than they could sell, so they repainted some of them. I don't follow college football - did Texas suck this year or something?

Some Guitars are Better than Ohters

Sometimes when you stripe off the finish of your guitar it may reveal this.......................

Last time this happened to me it stepped right into my bedroom :D

Attachments

• babe_03.jpg
    babe_03.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 40
Back