"Insignificant" (final mix)

Cycle through some hihats and find one that is a tad softer. All of the cymbals, really. The snare needs to be replaced with something that has more crack, less piercing snares, and more size. Soften the intro a smidge after the hihat count-in, the abrupt volume change is more startling in a 'that was not neat' kind of a way than any 'oh cool' effect possibly intended. You have several guitars going at once, some need to be out of focus so that others can be more prominent... if they are all equally prominent it's just too much.

Very nice. From what I remember your work is always pretty good. Personally the snare, hi hat and cymbals I'd take a bit of top of maybe, or just down in volume. Glad I'm not the only one who ends up with more than one final mix :)

Cycle through some hihats and find one that is a tad softer. All of the cymbals, really. The snare needs to be replaced with something that has more crack, less piercing snares, and more size. Soften the intro a smidge after the hihat count-in, the abrupt volume change is more startling in a 'that was not neat' kind of a way than any 'oh cool' effect possibly intended. You have several guitars going at once, some need to be out of focus so that others can be more prominent... if they are all equally prominent it's just too much.

hey fairwarning! appreciate the detailed listen,
i've gone back now and taken all the cymbal work down a bit, plus some new EQ'ing.
snare, i like, but i de-tuned it a bit now, and drew the bottom mic down a bit, because i figured out that the hats were coming more from the room ribbon mics, and i didn't want to take THAT down because i really like the room sound...
i found a good compromise there.
mix is now tweaked too, for balance between all the rhythm elements.

Very nice. From what I remember your work is always pretty good. Personally the snare, hi hat and cymbals I'd take a bit of top of maybe, or just down in volume. Glad I'm not the only one who ends up with more than one final mix :)

howdy ho toad uk!
thank you for listening and comnenting...

i've got those cymbals and hats dialed in now.
a combination of choice of cymbals/hats, level, and tuning.
that helps the white noise on top come down to match the meat in the middle.

the final mix thing,
well, i've posted 8 of the 10 songs i've done already, in demo form,
which is kind of a faders up approach, and then i live with em a while, post for comments, and then i get into deep mixing sessions, where i try to pull in ideas from the comments and basically 'vett' them,
and more times than not, they are right!

so i appreciate the help.

Back