insane clipping

roflcopter

i've been experimenting with recording drums using one mic. when i play the result back, pretty much any snare/kick hit is above 0db...my snare is rather piercing and my kick has no front head so i'm sure these are contributing to the problem as well. it sounds terrible...i even have the little gain switch on the mic set to 'low'. and if you move the mic farther away, it sounds...well, far away.

i've found that backing the track off on the mixer just makes for a quieter distorted track. doesn't help.

what can you do to reduce the gain at the mic?

Give me you entire recording chain and I'll see what I can recommend. Beyond the obvious: you are only using one mic, are you using a mic pre or a mixer?

it's simple...i just use an MXL large-diaphragm that i run directly into fl studio. no other hardware, like an interface or preamps or anything...but i think they possibly have built-in preamps and it runs into the mixer within the program.

but if the signal is too strong for the microphone to manage, then backing it off at the mixer is doing me no good. it's the same signal, but just quieter.

and it totally compromises the sound and feel if you play it quieter, man! if i can just capture the sound and have it come out clean, it's gonna sound good.

it's simple...i just use an MXL large-diaphragm that i run directly into fl studio. no other hardware, like an interface or preamps or anything...

Are you plugging the mic into your computer's built-in mic input?

If so, that's your problem right there. It's not built to take that kind of volume. You need an interface.

well it's usb. but yes, i'm plugging it it right into the computer.

i really want an interface, and whenever i scrape together the coin i'm gonna get one.

Back