In the market for a new acoustic

Guitarer

Alright, I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm looking to get away with buying one guitar that's suitable for both live and recording.

I understand I can do much better for the money if I ignore the electronic aspect, but it's necessary for my purposes. I play a coffee house regularly with one of my bands, and my other band (which right now is a recording project only) focuses heavily on acoustic work.

I realize I'm kinda answering my own question here, but I've recently fallen in love with Breedloves. The LR Baggs electronics sound fantastic, and the guitar itself sounds lovely on its own. This is the $1k model range which has laminate sides. For another $800, I can go completely solid, which I have not had a chance to try out. Would the difference be worth it?

I have this preconceived notion that anything laminate is no good for recording...is that wrong?

So I have 2 questions:
1. Is it worth an extra $800 to have solid sides?
2. Are there any other guitars worth looking at?

PS. As per question 2, I've always been a Martin guy, but I find the models in the price range I'm looking at pale in comparison for both playability and electronics. I also find Taylors to be too bright, and have shady craftsmanship in this price range.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Alright, I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm looking to get away with buying one guitar that's suitable for both live and recording.

I understand I can do much better for the money if I ignore the electronic aspect, but it's necessary for my purposes. I play a coffee house regularly with one of my bands, and my other band (which right now is a recording project only) focuses heavily on acoustic work.

I realize I'm kinda answering my own question here, but I've recently fallen in love with Breedloves. The LR Baggs electronics sound fantastic, and the guitar itself sounds lovely on its own. This is the $1k model range which has laminate sides. For another $800, I can go completely solid, which I have not had a chance to try out. Would the difference be worth it?

I have this preconceived notion that anything laminate is no good for recording...is that wrong?

So I have 2 questions:
1. Is it worth an extra $800 to have solid sides?
2. Are there any other guitars worth looking at?

PS. As per question 2, I've always been a Martin guy, but I find the models in the price range I'm looking at pale in comparison for both playability and electronics. I also find Taylors to be too bright, and have shady craftsmanship in this price range.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Forgive me for sounding like a commercial for Seagull--but it's what I know best. I spent over 4 months researching and playing when I last upgraded my acoustic situation. I'd never heard of Seagull until I read about 'em at places like this. When I found a shop that carried them, I was blown away.

I almost didn't want to believe it could be that good for that little dough. I wanted to believe I needed a Martin or Gibson or Taylor. Nope. I bought a Seagull.

They started out emphasizing the cedar top models (that's what I got, and I love it) but I see a lot more standard spruce in their lineup now. They're all made in Canada, and the basic philosophy is to forego some of the bling and focus on the wood and the workmanship. Mine is an Artist Mosaic--near the the top of their line when I bought it a few years ago. It was a year old, and a bit dinged up, and I paid about $700 with a case.

Oh yeah--it's all solid wood, no laminate. In all my playing around looking for the right guitar, I found that to make a serious difference, regardless of the brand.

I'm a shopper and buyer--I'm up to 18 guitars. I stop in a music store over lunch once or twice every week. I always play the high end guitars--just looking for that one that makes me say "Oh--this is why you pay $3000 for an acoustic guitar." (Then I'd buy it and sell my Seagull.) I still haven't found it. Mine plays like butter and sounds and records beautifully. Decent LR Baggs electronics too.

Okay, commercial over. One thing that's true no matter what brand/model you go with--you've gotta play it. Even after I settled on the approximate model/price range I was going for, I hunted down and played 6 of the exact same model. They were very consistent, but still had minor differences. Turns out the one that had the perfect combination of playability and sound for me was the old "last year's model" with a few dings.

I've only played one Seagull and albeit it was briefly.. but I do remember being quite impressed. If the rest of the line up is anything like the one I played would definitely second WhiteStrat's opinion.

I've only played one Seagull and albeit it was briefly.. but I do remember being quite impressed. If the rest of the line up is anything like the one I played would definitely second WhiteStrat's opinion.

I have been consistently impressed by their lineup. I'd certainly (as a Martin player myself) advocate making a point to spend some more playtime on one before you make any decisions.

try the new Wechter line available from sweetwater,(unsolicited). i just bpught one.the dreadnought elite. they come with optional fishman electronics if you want to plug in. they do have laminate sides. mine sounds great and i've only used it on one recording but it sounds good to me. i was waiting to afford a martin d28 but i'm afraid that day will never come. the pricing is reasonable. they are made in china but finishing touches,(i.e.) computerized plek pro set up, are done at the american factory.

I do really like the Seagulls (My GC carries them) but I cannot get over the dreadful headstock...Stupid, I know...Maybe some more play time on one will change my mind...But I'm still very impressed with the Breedloves.

So I guess it comes down to trying out some Seagulls and comparing the 2 Breedloves...

I do not believe that laminated back and sides are necessarily bad for recording. If the guitar sounds good and plays good it IS good. But, the definition of a good guitar is personal. You'll just have to get out there and play as many as you can.

Don't ignore the smaller bodied instruments. Often a Martin OM or 000 sized guitar will be much more versatile than a dreadnaught. They tend to record better as well. You can get a surprising bottom end out of some of them.

Take someone with you who can play it for you so you can stand in front of it and hear how it sounds to the listener. This is closer to what a mic would hear. Microphones are better for recording most of the time.

If the guitar you love comes without electronics you can install an aftermarket system. Focus on the best acoustic instrument you can get. If it comes with a pickup, great.

Don't get distracted by price tags and logos. The best guitar in the store may come without a pedigree. Decide with your fingers and your ears.

Back