Improving mixing

PThorne

Hi there,

I am a writer/producer looking to improve my ability to mix my own music.

I have done a fair amount of learning myself and have some understanding of some of the key tools - EQ, compression and reverbs for example, however I would like to see if I can learn something from someone more experienced.

I wondered if I could get someone to mix a song of mine and give me back the project so they can show me what they did, and perhaps also do some brief writing explaining some of the key mix decisions. I work in Ableton so it would be ideal if it was done in Ableton, but I also have a bit of experience in Reaper.

Obviously I would pay someone for their time, but I'm not looking to pay lots of money, as it is really a learning experience for me.

I am currently working on the track and it is nearly finished. However, below is an example of my music, and the new song is in a similar style to this. This track was produced by me and mixed by my friend, who is also going to give me some pointers on mixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3GqjVmYlqY

Send me a message if you're interested, and I would also appreciate any thoughts and suggestions on how to improve mixing skills.

Many thanks,

Paul

There is a "Mix This" subforum. I'd recommend trying there as well, though this spot may be appropriate too. good luck

Honestly the best thing you can do is mix other people's music... all different types... you will get better at mixing. You should also do some old fashioned research and experiment. Listen to your favorite records and try to copy those sounds. You can't fix a problem if you can't identify what it is. Here's a link to free stems from a variety of artists and genres: Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio (Cambridge Music Technology)

Back