IMPORTANT: read this FAQ BEFORE POSTING HERE!

grahamware,

Good job with this. I thinks it's a great start. You obviously worked hard on it.

A correction. You have the Audix D2 as a "kick drum" mic on the chart. I think you meant the D6. The D2s are more commonly used on toms.

I think this should be a sticky with regular updating.
Great job!

Es.

Re: MXL 1006/V63/V57

Aren said:
This mic could appear as well...
The MXL-990 too.

Oren

No problem. I'll have those up by tonight.

Orignally posted by Rev E
A correction. You have the Audix D2 as a "kick drum" mic on the chart. I think you meant the D6. The D2s are more commonly used on toms.

Thanks Rev E! I fixed that right up, and I'm glad you like it.

Originally posted by Dethska
You'll have to ask Tekker, but he makes it sound like he is the one that compiled it down.

Thanks Dethska. I'll PM Tekker and see what he says.

Originally posted by Dethska
This has been harder than I thought.

Heh now you see how much fun this has been! Kudos to you and Mark7 for your searching. For certain mics, information is quite scarce - only the V67 and the 57 were easy. Keep on goin' though! It'll be worth it...

I'm also glad to see newbs are reading this thing! Dumb questions are on the decline.

-Graham D.
http://www.hr-faq.org

VOLUNTEERS ALWAYS NEEDED!

So I just checked out the FAQ again, and you already have about half my quotes on the Sennheiser section. Nuts. I didn't realize that you already had some. I'll send you what I have, this evening. And then we'll see if I need to find anymore.

Heh now you see how much fun this has been! Kudos to you and Mark7 for your searching. For certain mics, information is quite scarce - only the V67 and the 57 were easy. Keep on goin' though! It'll be worth it...

Probably a lot on SP b1's and c1's as well :D. And I don't mind helping. I feel like I should try to give a little back for everything I learn here. I can't really comment on a lot of gear, because I haven't used a lot of things. But I can collect quotes from people that have.

It would be nice if more people thought this way, but I'll take care of myself, and hope my example (and yours and Mark's) is an inspiration to other not-quite newbies, not-yet experts here.

Oh man...sorry Dethska. Sennheiser mics were down for a while, and I only put them back up recently.

I'm thinking maybe of starting a new thread to get some attention for this thing. A week ago it was a single page, and now its a full-fledged mic database...man I've got a lot of free time!

Maybe then, people will be more inclined to help out. I know people have jobs and stuff, but man, this thing will be kickass when it's finished, and the sooner the better.

Re: Re: MXL 1006/V63/V57

)
grahamware said:
No problem. I'll have those up by tonight.

Cool.
Congardulations on a superb job, by the way.
(I forgot to mention it earlier :D )

Oren

Graham- I've emailed you my Sennheiser quotes. I'm ready for my next assigment:D

Where do the major holes appear to be? You probably have a better idea than I do. Let me know, and I'll get right on it.:D

Dethska - I received the email, but no quotes. Try again I guess, and if that doesn't work try putting the quotes in the body of the email.

If you're looking for more, though (or anyone else...):

MICS:

Neumann anything (TLM-103 especially)
AKG D112
Behringer B1 (to keep newbs away)
MXL2001
Oktava 219 and 319
Some more Rodes (NTK so far, but there's many more)

Theory:

Electric guitar is still kind of weak. Most people just refer to the ubiquitous SM57 or MD421, and some other opinions would be good.

Also, electric/acoustic bass needs some information.

Theres a good start!

DOH!

I had trouble with Outlook this morning, and my first message didn't go through, so I sent it again, but I forgot to attach the doc to the second email. sorry, I'll get it to you this evening. I've found a couple more quotes that I'll add as well.

I'll take on the D112 and Behringer B1 as I own both those mics. I can even add some quotes from myself. :D Maybe I'll do some testing so I can have useful quotes. :D

I'll see what I can dig up on micing a guitar too. I could stand to learn something new about that. Sounds like a busy friday night (why do I feel like I need to get a life?:confused: )

Silly me

Well, last night I finally got a v67, but i also got this book by Mix called Professional Microphone Techniqes. So, for my acoustic guitar I mic'ed the new v67 facing up at the bottom of the top, behind the bridge, the wide section of acou. guit. I used the OPL and Warm, acoust. setting on the V3 Art preamp. I was really impressed with the sound.

Not exhaused, today, I decided to compare it w/ my old sm57 at the same mic location, that I never used before, since it came out of the new book. So today, I have an even better sound down. My old mic, new placement, same pre. But I'll keep the new mic anyway b/c it has a different sound and my vocals were nice with it.

moral of the story, you might not need a load of mics, but you definitly need a load of placements, or at least one you like.

The mic differences were v67 warmer, something subtle about it, less bright. sm57, puchier, more bright at the upper mids, not the high, high end. Neither has any hiss or super high end like my ecm8000. I had to get that one to start out with in order to compare all else in the room I'm in. It helps a lot to know exactly how your room sounds and how the room reflects onto your tracks at a longer mic'ing distance. Then you know what you are getting when you use diff. mics, distances, angles, placements, eq, and pre settings, and you know what that sound is in on the recording - I mean you learn to identify that sound on the track which is the sound of your room, as opposed to all else in the chain and the instrument. It's worth $40 and the book I got was worth $40 just to learn the new placement.

-j (unplugged - except for the mics, the pres, the DAW, the monitors, power supplies, surge protectors, UPS, computer, etc...)

Dethska, your quotes are now up! Good job, a couple of new ones besides the ones I already had :D

junplugged, thanks for takin' a look!

It's true: new mics CAN improve your sound, but practicing your instruments or mastering mic placement WILL improve your sound. So far, the FAQ is all about what mic to buy, and I hope to get more in about how to use those mics.

Harvey's thread is an amazing reference, but it's hard to read the whole thing, looking for what you need. I think a "best of Harvey's thread" section could help a lot. It would contain most of what Harvey has said (without some of the repetition from repeated questions), but in a more organized fashion, instead of all out at once.

-Graham

Funny thing, I like the sound of the acoustic guitar solo w/ the sm57, but when I bring up a vocal, the guit rec. w/ the v67 sounds better because of the difference in eq. So I guess I might as well use the freq. response of the mic as the eq anyway since I don't have much eq available to me w/ my cheapo DAW.

EQ isn't perfect either and if I don't need to use it I won't. Why not just go w/ the freq. response of the source anyway, seems like a purer way to go.

Is this thing useful to anybody? Cause a lot of work is going into it. Sometimes I get the feeling that nobody cares. :(

Once again, I'll send it back to the top. :cool:

Back