IMPORTANT: read this FAQ BEFORE POSTING HERE!

Need some advice here...

How do you guys think I should sort the microphones on the FAQ search?

Right now I have:

Dynamic
LD Condenser
SD Condenser
Ribbon

But I'm not sure this is the best way to sort...so I went to 8th street. They do it like this:

Vocal Condensers
Instrument Condensers
Dynamics
Special Purpose
Drum Mics

But then mics like the V67, which are used for both instruments and vocals at times, have no place to go...the E100 is somehow listed in the vocal condensers category, and this is certainly not the place for it, as it makes such a stellar kick mic.

How do you guys think that mics should be sorted?

Hey Graham

How about:

• Large Diaphragm Condensors (Side Address)
  • Medium Diaphagm Condensors (SA or EF)
  • Small Diaphragm Condensors (Endfire)
  • Dynamic Mics: Moving Coil
  • Dynamic Mics: Ribbon

You could also split both Condensor families into sub groups depending on whether the backplate is permanently charged (Bck Electrets) or charged from an external power supply (Capacitors).

Just an idea.

Not bad...maybe:

Side Address Condenser
-Electret
-Capacitor
Endfire Condenser
-Electret
-Capacitor
Dynamic
-Moving Coil
-Ribbon

What'da think?

grahamware said:
Not bad...maybe:

Side Address Condenser
-Electret
-Capacitor
Endfire Condenser
-Electret
-Capacitor
Dynamic
-Moving Coil
-Ribbon

What'da think?

I'm pretty sure capacitor and condensor can be used interchangably. If you're going to split it up like that I'd say:

Side Address Condenser
-Electret
- "True" Condenser (externally biased)
Endfire Condenser
-Electret
- "True" Condenser (externally biased)
Dynamic
-Moving Coil
-Ribbon

However, I think your original categories were much more helpful:

LDC
SDC
Dynamic
Ribbon

I say go with these!

thanks cominginsecond!

The reason I started to doubt the original system was the CAD E100 - I was kind of confused as to where to place it, because I wasn't sure on the technical size of the diaphragm, as it isn't posted anywhere on the CAD site. Maybe it qualifies as a medium diaphragm? It most certainly isn't small, so I stuck it under LD.

On the other hand, terms like SA or EF may confuse someone new to mics - LD and SD are more palatable, and much more discussed around here. But, the more seasoned shopper may not want an electret condenser, for example, and should be able to search as such. And, it would be a lot easier to sort! Diaphragm size isn't always mentioned on manufacturer's sites, and unfortunately I don't know what mics fall under the Medium Diaphragm size.

I guess Mark's idea was pretty good in this respect - flexibility between the two main groups, newbs and olds.

I would plan on newbies being the main audience for the FAQ. I think anyone one with experience knows how to use the search function, and will find things out for themselves. They also will probably have a starting idea about what they want if they are getting into the details of condensor construction. I think LDC, SDC, etc. is the way to go. Subgroups wouldn't hurt. And maybe rename the LDC, as "LDC (and MDC)".
I think you should keep all simple as this is mainly a newbie tool.

BTW- are there any other models by Sennheiser you would like to be included? I just picked what I knew were pretty common. I know the e609 and the 609 have been mentioned, I just have no experience AT ALL on this model, so I didn't know if I should include it or not.

Dethska, you're right. The focus should be the newbie - I forgot that for a minute!

That's a good plan you got there:

LD(MD)
SD
DYN
RIB

And I'll mention stuff like backplate/moving coil afterwards.

OH, and as for Senn models, It'd be best to get every model that's mentioned often on the forums. Obviously, do what you want to do, but that is my end goal - to get the most talked about mics in the database.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to include subgroups like Electret, and allow the search to filter it if the user wanted.

mwarkentin said:
I wouldn't think it would be too hard to include subgroups like Electret, and allow the search to filter it if the user wanted.

That is now the plan. Main groups Dynamic, LD, SD, Ribbon, and subgroups for those of the technical persuasion.

Another believer!

Thanks mwarkentin!

Not only am I polishing up my MYSQL/PHP skills, I'm learning about mics and helping out! Hell yeah.

Excellent work! Pardon me if I missed this, but why no Studio Projects mics in the specific mic area? I know there's been lots on them. I can only offer insight into the B1, which I find versatile and a great value for the money. I've used it on vocals and acoustic guitar so far and, on a powerful baritone male rock singer, I preferred it to the V67G.

Fab

Sorry Fab4ever, I put in a new (searchable) database system and not all the mics are in yet...should be done by tonight.

Excellent work!

Now... how about a good, useful explanation of when/why to use a hypercardioid vs a cardioid.

I'm looking at purchasing an ATM25, and see it is hypercardioid. I will buy anyway, but am curious why... would this not record noise from the musicians in front of the kick drum?

Second, how about a good explanation of what is meant by an XY configuration of overheads for cymbals.

I'm on it!

Just searched the big thread, and lo and behold:

WHAT HARVEY HAD TO SAY:
It's a little tricky to explain without the design theory, but lemme see if this'll help a little bit:

Cardioids have a heart-shaped polar pattern at most frequencies, but they tend to be more omnidirectional at low frequencies.

Hypercardioids are less wide compared to cardioids, but still have some omni characteristics at lower frequencies.

Supercardioids are similar to hypercardioids at high frequencies, but they act more even at low frequencies by creating a deeper rejection point at around 125° off axis.

So what the hell does all this mean when it comes to choosing the right mic, based on polar patterns?

If you're getting a mic for recording just your voice, it's easier to use a smooth cardioid mic that will be fairly flat and natural and you don't worry too much about picking up bleed from other instruments due to the wide pattern of most cardioid mics.

If you're playing guitar at the same time, you want to try and keep the sound of the guitar out of the vocal mic, so you need a tighter mic pattern (like a hypercardioid) and you try to put the guitar in the null of the pattern so that it doesn't get heard by the vocal mic. And it holds true for the guitar as well; you might use a second hypercardioid on the guitar to keep the vocal out of the guitar mic. But hypercardioids aren't perfect, especially at lower frequencies.

That's where the supercardioid comes in; it's got a solid null point at 125° at just about all frequencies.

So why not just use hypercardioids and supercardioids for everything? Part of the problem is that hypercardioids and supercardioids don't always have the best frequency response, so you pay a price in performance for that deeper rejection. And they have more proximity effect (which is not always a good thing).

For stage and live work, the rejection in a hypercardioid and supercardioid mic is a blessing, especially when working with on-stage monitors, but it's not as important in the studio, where accuracy counts more.

I'll stick that in real soon!

EDIT: Also, does anyone know who compiled the 'big thread' into that word file? I want to give credit where it's due.

Mipres maybe ? LOL

Mostly the 100-500 dollar ones.

Ie VTB-1 used with a B1 type of thing.

Just asked because im doing searches myself right now .LOL

Should probably go to the Rack though.

Malcolm

Preamps aren't a bad idea Malcolm - but there is much to do first:

-More on individual mics
-Then some on mic placement

-THEN preamps

BTW...still looking for help here...I won't be able to finish everything myself, and I can't do this for hours at a time in a couple of weeks.

So far Mark7, chessrock and Dethska are cool...what about the rest of ya? :D

Just checked the big thread. The following is the new link for the big mic thread word file. You'll have to ask Tekker, but he makes it sound like he is the one that compiled it down.

http://www.freewebs.com/tekker/harv...tmicthreads.htm

BTW- I'm almost done collecting Sennheiser quotes. This has been harder than I thought. There is an extreme lack of useful quotes on the forum (at least for Sennheiser mics). And a lot of "do this, it's the best" bit, with no real reasons for the recommendations. I'll try to finish up by this weekend.
:D

Back