I'm ready for some football.

Sam Bradford.....:facepalm:

You seem like a nice young man, and you're a very wealthy nice young man by signing the last of the mega rookie contracts. Your contract broke the system. They had to make new rookie contract rules because of you. But fucking hell, you are made of glass, dude. Just retire.

Yeah I feel bad for the dude. He's a good player. It's tough to rehab and come back from an ACL tear, much less twice so soon too.

Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady. We can all agree those guys are the best of the best at QB, and barring injury, they can pretty much do no wrong, right? Right. Aaron Rodgers physically has the most gas left in the tank, but those other three are mentally at the top of their game. None of those guys will get tricked by defenses very often.

Who else in this coming season can we put on that list? Russel Wilson and Colin Kaepernick? Maybe. I don't see them as pick-a-defense-apart guys yet. They're not yet at *that* level of cerebral football. I think Russel Wilson's chances are better though. He seems like a smart guy. And both of those guys are benefactors of tremendous defenses and stud running games. Jay Cutler? He has the physical gifts, but he's a whiny, moody twat. He can't shake his mistakes. They bum him out too much. I think Matt Ryan could be one of those cerebral type guys, but his offensive line can't keep him upright. Phillip Rivers seems to be coming back from a bad few years. Joe Flacco has some great moments, but I've never been totally sold on him. Eli Manning seems to be broken. Carson Palmer? Way past his prime. Tony Romo? Lol. Just LOL. Matthew Stafford. That's a guy, like Cutler, has a superb arm, but he's fragile and plays for an undisciplined trainwreck of a team. Did I miss anyone? Anyone not mentioned isn't worth mentioning.

So who could it be? There can't be only 4 great QBs in the league.

IMO we're just getting past a golden age for QBs. The four guys you mentioned plus Brett Favre are all comparable to Marino/Elway/Young in one way or another (well maybe not Rodgers yet, but he has several more years to get there). Even second tier guys like Rapelisberger and Rivers had some pretty great 100+ QB rating seasons.

You forgot Luck. He's done nothing yet to warrant being mentioned in that company, but he looks the part in every way. He's acurate, football smart, tough, has game-winning drives all the time, can run - he's the total package. The hype was generational, and it was legit. The torch will be passed to him IMO.

During his rookie year I may have said RGIII but that injury has hurt him more than anyone in the press is acknowledging.

IMO we're just getting past a golden age for QBs. The four guys you mentioned plus Brett Favre are all comparable to Marino/Elway/Young in one way or another (well maybe not Rodgers yet, but he has several more years to get there). Even second tier guys like Rapelisberger and Rivers had some pretty great seasons.
True, the age of the statuesque pocket passer is almost gone. There are no Marino/Aikman/Brady/Mannings on the horizon coming out of college. Aaron Rodgers is like a hybrid, and even Brees is pretty athletic and squirmy when he absolutely needs to be. Blake Bortles maybe? He's that kind of QB, but there's no way to tell how he will do. He could potentially be one of the last big white immobile pocket passers for a long time.

You forgot Luck. He's done nothing yet to warrant being mentioned in that company, but he looks the part in every way. He's acurate, football smart, tough, has game-winning drives all the time, can run - he's the total package. The hype was legit. The torch will be passed to him IMO.

During his rookie year I may have said RGIII but that injury has hurt him more than anyone in the press is acknowledging.

You're right, I totally forgot Andrew Luck. Doh! I think he's a solid kid. He has the potential to be awesome. Smart, sturdy, skillz. Good player possibly destined for greatness. I have no knock on him besides simply not having a big resume yet. If they surround him with a decent team, he just *might* make Indy fans forget about Peyton Manning if they haven't already.

I'd bet RGIII is DONE! Yup, I said it. He's mentally and physically finished already.

I'd bet RGIII is DONE! Yup, I said it. He's mentally and physically finished already.
I agree.

Pretty much anytime a QB comes into the league being touted and "the most incredible QB ever!!!!!" they're done.
It happens over and over ..... expectations are too great and the presuure to preform RIGHT NOW!! forces them and their teams to throw them into the meat grinder too soon or they don't have a protective enough line to keep them uninjured because they have no money left after going for the star QB.

I'm in the air about whether that'll happen to Manziel but I think if he doesn't immediately become the starter it'll be the best thing that could happen for him.

I feel like RGIII could be on that list if he would just get his shit together...like learning how to slide and not sacrifice his body for like 1 extra yard. Hopefully he's got a lot of time left in the league to develop. I could see him getting there in the next couple of years. Andy Dalton is another up-and-comer who a lot of people hate on but I think he's got good potential. They were flashing his stats from the past 3 years and they matched up perfectly (actually better) with Peyton Manning's stats his first 3 years.

And yeah I agree that Eli Manning is just totally broken now! :laughings: WTF is up with that dude.

I agree.

Pretty much anytime a QB comes into the league being touted and "the most incredible QB ever!!!!!" they're done.
It happens over and over ..... expectations are too great and the presuure to preform RIGHT NOW!! forces them and their teams to throw them into the meat grinder too soon or they don't have a protective enough line to keep them uninjured because they have no money left after going for the star QB.

I'm in the air about whether that'll happen to Manziel but I think if he doesn't immediately become the starter it'll be the best thing that could happen for him.

It's the business of football now. Win now. Gotta win right now. You draft a QB in the first round, there's gonna be a ton of noise to play him right now. The worst thing to happen to RGIII, besides getting beaten to death, is that he was pretty good in his rookie season. Death blow. Now he will forever be under the gun to be better than that one fluke year. And that one fluke year put unnecessary pressure for future QBs to live up to. Teams used to never even consider starting rookie QBs. Now it's almost expected. Insane.

I feel like RGIII could be on that list if he would just get his shit together...like learning how to slide and not sacrifice his body for like 1 extra yard. Hopefully he's got a lot of time left in the league to develop. I could see him getting there in the next couple of years. Andy Dalton is another up-and-comer who a lot of people hate on but I think he's got good potential. They were flashing his stats from the past 3 years and they matched up perfectly (actually better) with Peyton Manning's stats his first 3 years.

And yeah I agree that Eli Manning is just totally broken now! :laughings: WTF is up with that dude.

I thought about Andy Dalton, Katy kid, from my neighborhood. He's a middle of the pack QB IMO. Not great, not terrible, way overpaid, but he's a ginger, therefore not worth mentioning.

I definitely feel bad for Bradford. An Oklahoma boy, so I have a soft spot for him. But damn, not a whole lot of guys come back from 2 consecutive ACL tears in the same knee. Even if he physically heals, how does a guy ever get his confidence back for stepping up in the pocket?

I think you're right though, we're at the end of an era for high-caliber QB play. In another 5 years, Luck may be the only one left, assuming he continues his current trajectory.

College football starting tonight motherfuckers!

I'm watching Texas A&M Faggies vs S Carolina. SEC matchup. Pulling for the Cocks in this one.

Longhorns with the new coach tonight. I'll be out celebrating my 15th wedding anniversary so I will miss the game.
Should I Tivo it? Does anyone Tivo a game anymore? I have a lot of problems watching a recorded game.

Back