I'm Not Worthy

Snowman999

I posted a thread about a Gibson Custom that was fake. This one isn't.

I search guitars at various auctions sites and found this one. It was listed as a "Vintage Montgomery Wards Acoustic Guitar". The photos looked really cool. I looked up the guitar and it was made by Gibson. It was 250 miles away. So, I couldn't go try it out. But, the bidding was low. It didn't stay that way. But, I had my heart set on getting it. I WON.

I picked it up and you could immediately tell the owner took care of it. It has wear from being almost 90 years old. But, it's beautiful.

When I got it home, there's a short letter from the kids telling the new owner how their dad bought it before WWII and played it with his friends. They hope it gets in the hands of someone who will love it the way their father did.

Now I have to sell it. I will love it. I probably won't take the kind of care of it, that it deserves. I think the case might be original.
1685572857932.jpeg

I posted a thread about a Gibson Custom that was fake. This one isn't.

I search guitars at various auctions sites and found this one. It was listed as a "Vintage Montgomery Wards Acoustic Guitar". The photos looked really cool. I looked up the guitar and it was made by Gibson. It was 250 miles away. So, I couldn't go try it out. But, the bidding was low. It didn't stay that way. But, I had my heart set on getting it. I WON.

I picked it up and you could immediately tell the owner took care of it. It has wear from being almost 90 years old. But, it's beautiful.

When I got it home, there's a short letter from the kids telling the new owner how their dad bought it before WWII and played it with his friends. They hope it gets in the hands of someone who will love it the way their father did.

Now I have to sell it. I will love it. I probably won't take the kind of care of it, that it deserves. I think the case might be original.
View attachment 129804
What a beaut... why do you "have to sell it"?

Neato! Good score! Is it rude to ask how much you paid?
$900. It was worth it. The sound is incredible. I was playing it after I posted. It sounds better than any of my other acoustics.
What a beaut... why do you "have to sell it"?
I don't have to. But, the person who owned it, played it. Treated it almost like a child. I play occasionally when I feel like it. This guitar (all my guitars) deserves better than me. I have a Gibson double neck from 86 that's barely been out of the case. Instruments should be played. I'm not selling it tomorrow. I won't as long as I play it. Once it starts sitting in the case, I'm going to put it up.

$900. It was worth it. The sound is incredible. I was playing it after I posted. It sounds better than any of my other acoustics.

I don't have to. But, the person who owned it, played it. Treated it almost like a child. I play occasionally when I feel like it. This guitar (all my guitars) deserves better than me. I have a Gibson double neck from 86 that's barely been out of the case. Instruments should be played. I'm not selling it tomorrow. I won't as long as I play it. Once it starts sitting in the case, I'm going to put it up.
You're a good soul!

I'm such a peasant when it comes to musical instruments. For me, they are not works of beauty to be admired, even when they are beautiful, they're tools to be used. If I had a gold hammer encrusted with diamonds, I'd still be hammering those 5 and 6-inch nails with it.

I'm such a peasant when it comes to musical instruments. For me, they are not works of beauty to be admired, even when they are beautiful, they're tools to be used. If I had a gold hammer encrusted with diamonds, I'd still be hammering those 5 and 6-inch nails with it.
I bet you play them. That's what matters. Making music with an instrument. I just hope you don't carelessly smash them into walls or door frames or stages.

I enjoy appreciating the beauty of my guitars' designs and finishes, I don't get into the road worn thing. My "studio" is roughly 10ft x 12ft. When I get set up to record, I've got a mic boom, guitar stand and a desk chair protruding into the middle of the room. When I get the Jazz bass out, there's barely enough room to move around, so every move I make with bass in hand requires attention and planning in order not to ding it on something.

I could swing a dead cat, though. That would be in clear airspace above the noise, so to speak.

gorgeous old old guitar with a story of emotional attachment....
playing it , selling it , trading it, .............I can relate to the part about it doesnt get played, just sits there in a closet.

"Montgomery Wards, now theres a name I havent heard for a very long time"- Jedi ObiWahnKinobi

gorgeous old old guitar with a story of emotional attachment....
playing it , selling it , trading it, .............I can relate to the part about it doesnt get played, just sits there in a closet.

"Montgomery Wards, now theres a name I havent heard for a very long time"- Jedi ObiWahnKinobi
I just received a catalog in the mail from them with an offer to open a MW credit account.
Blast from the past. Robert Halls.

I have yet to see a guitar that I am "unworthy" of playing. It's a guitar. There are guitars that I think aren't worth the presumed "value" that you see in magazines or Reverb (a half million for a guitar is really stupid) but that's just because I don't put a lot of stock on trendy things. It doesn't matter if it's guitars, shoes, cars or furniture.

I have a dozen guitars. They cover a pretty wide range of costs. The reason I bought them was not for status or to impress anyone. I got them because they are cool instruments and I have fun playing them.

RE: Montgomery Wards and Robert Hall. Those bring back memories. Service Merchandise, Kinney Shoes, Woolworths, A&P Grocery, Kresge's, Zayres, FotoMats. Now we have Amazon, Walmart and Costco!

I have yet to see a guitar that I am "unworthy" of playing. It's a guitar. There are guitars that I think aren't worth the presumed "value" that you see in magazines or Reverb (a half million for a guitar is really stupid) but that's just because I don't put a lot of stock on trendy things. It doesn't matter if it's guitars, shoes, cars or furniture.

I have a dozen guitars. They cover a pretty wide range of costs. The reason I bought them was not for status or to impress anyone. I got them because they are cool instruments and I have fun playing them.

RE: Montgomery Wards and Robert Hall. Those bring back memories. Service Merchandise, Kinney Shoes, Woolworths, A&P Grocery, Kresge's, Zayres, FotoMats. Now we have Amazon, Walmart and Costco!
My parents purchased my first guitar from Two Guys.

Back