I'm new, here is my proyect

Victor Man

Hi to all, I’m a new member, who decide to share pictures of my home recording “studio in progress” I found this great community few months ago and I had been learning a lot from this great site. My project is about two recording rooms, a room A 12X7-7’ well isolated for vocal, acoustic instruments and drums, room B (live room) 12X12-7’ for line/amp electronic instruments, and small control room 6X7-7’. I’m dealing a lot with the money to spend for flooring, walls and doors. I already spend a lot of money… and the estimates are double than my initial idea, but now I can’t stop the plan and I will keep going ahead until everything gets done. Thanks for your feedback and visiting my posting. You can see my pictures here http://www.puroquesojazz.com/RecordingStudio.html Thanks Victor Man. :cool:

Last edited:
Hello Victor. Looks like you have your self a studio :D Lots of hard work trying to do things right, huh? Looks like space and isolation/transmission loss is your primary design criteria. Mind if I ask you why you poured concrete and then floated a floor? If the original walls are still exposed(I don't see a decoupled second leaf wall/ceiling assembly) why are you floating a floor?
fitZ

Thanks for asking

Dear Rick As many of the new members I’m doing the things as best as I can, I had to pour new concrete because the old concrete was not complete flat, I did removed it myself with the help of a big hammer, I did floated the floor because I guess it will be better but I didn’t know anything about walls and ceiling, now I’m really worry about this issue. Is it to late or I can do something at this point. I did the frame over this irregular wall (under the porch) I’m trying to insolate everything by inside, and I guess I getting better it feels warm now, and not noise from outside at this point. Thanks for asking I saw your treats and I know you are an expert, and of course I did register myself here to be advice and share my concerns and give few cents if I can to the others. Thanks for visiting my pictures and asking. Victor Man

Wow its amazing to see you did all that yourself. You seem like a very dedicated person! I know next to nothing about studio design, but anyone who is going to that length and putting that much effort into their passion is sure to yield excellent results! Congratulations!

Dear Rick As many of the new members I’m doing the things as best as I can, I had to pour new concrete because the old concrete was not complete flat,
Thats what I figured. I was just curious. Usually, if you float a floor, the walls should be built on TOP of the subflooring sheithing of the floating floor, and then a ceiling either built on top of these walls, or suspended from the existing ceiling via RSIC clips or Resiliant Channel, BETWEEN the new walls but not touching. Every gap and joint in the drywall should be caulked BEFORE joint compound/tape is applied. Although, at this point, its rediculous for me to suggest anything as I don't know how far you have progressed since these pictures were taken. No matter, the plan is cast in stone now it looks like.

Let us know how the isolation (transmission loss) between rooms works out. One thing I just learned. Read this for your doors. Very important lesson
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=2780
This thread is from Brian Dayton. He is a very astute professional in the world of acoustics. He runs acoustical lab tests on building assembies, because he works for a company the manufactures GREEN GLUE. Ever heard of it? If not, let me know and I will post a link Green Glue is probably the only product on the planet that works to laminate layers of drywall with for increased Transmission Loss performance. It works wonders. Which, btw, if you HAVE'NT finished drywalling let me know. Since you have NOT DECOUPLED your wall framing assemblies(I don't see any decoupling), the only thing I can suggest at this point(IF YOU SUSPECT YOUR ISOLATION GOAL ISN"T GOING TO BE UP TO PAR)is adding one or more layers using GREEN GLUE .However, that may be moot at this point, I don't know. Anyway, no matter, your project will STILL achieve more than what was existing. I hope you have a ball in there(fun)!!! Looks great so far as far as partitioning space is concerned.

First off, I am certainly NOT an expert, but here is one thing I DO suggest. In regards to your 12x12 room, I don't know what you are doing to treat this room, but square rooms are notorious for creating difficult modal response and standing wave formation at frequencies related to wavelengths proportionate to the distance between paralell boundarys, and since this room is a square(same dimension), then these resonances form between two opposing planes which further reinforces these peaks and nulls, . Since room modes terminate in the corners(ALL), to counteract these modal resonances(low frequencies), ABSORPTION, via whats known as SUPER CHUNKS should be used in ALL WALL/WALL and WALL/CEILING intersections. If you've never heard of Superchunks, give me a holla or do a search. There is tons of info here in the archives. I simply don't have time to go over it again although here is a link...
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535

As to standing waves between paralell walls,patches of broadband absorption
on opposing walls will not only help reduce them significantly, but offer a second effect...DIFFUSION :) And given the pattern/thickness of these absorbedrs, you'll get even MORE absoption via the EDGE EFFECT. In otherwords, imagine a checkerboard where one color is your wall, and the other color is absorption patches(rigid fiberglass or rockwool). At the boundarys between absorption media and the wall, diffraction occurs, of which absorption occurs as a byproduct of this phenomena. Diffraction is still not well understood, especially by me, but I think you get the gist. It has been proven in a lab though. Anyway, the link site will tell you anything you want to know about acoustics. Good luck with the isolation and keep us up to date on your progress.
fitZ :)

Dear Rick

Thanks for all advices, links and information provided. I feel better about the walls and ceiling now after being thinking how to avoid the contact between them and the floor, but not so much to do at this point, this room is a small room under the front porch of my house with fat walls as support of the house structure. I have a good guy working with me who never did a recording studio but is trying to understand everything and helping a lot with good ideas. Today we where looking for doors and we got two of them but we need five and specially one of them that most have a glass. I will draw a plan to show you all how is everything being done and why. Today we got the glass for our windows, we pay 600 bucks :eek: for 5 sheets and the glasses where prepared for very well known company in Pittsburgh who made the cuts with the different thickness. :rolleyes: I’ll post some pictures tomorrow, we are working on the frames and I want to show pictures of the process too. ;) Ok Thanks a lot for your help and I hope to hear from you and see your projects soon. Victor Man :o

Dear Tel Paul THanks at all for your warm comentaries. I have a good guy working with me in this project now, the guy in the pictures is.. "my worker" ;) I put a lot of my hands on it too :cool: , not just taking pictures :D . Best regards Victor Man :)

Back