Im bored to death!

Billy,

Lol! You've got a hangover and was sick too but didn't even have a drink!

Sounds interesting about what's happening there with you band.

What's the deal?

LOL Saturday nights are drinking warm over priced designer beers and telling tales of how it never really was, then Sunday means a couch bound boyhood regression into watching bad hangover re-runs or even cartoons if possible!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well dude. :(

Ok here's the band deal. (It's gonna sound one sided of course because it's evidence of my dissapointment.)

Four years ago I started teaching a kid I knew to play guitar... He took to it like a complete natural (Amazing really), so we decided to get a band going and with his poetry background he was soon writing the songs, bringing them in and we'd flesh them out. (No problem) We took on his sister to sing which was fine... I set her up with a guy and they got married! (I'm Always trying to help these kids and get things going.) Well along the way I helped this kid buy his first guitar (Gave him a hundred bucks no questions asked.) Gave him a tuner, I let him use my amp, my four track, my drum machine, my keyboard, I gave him sheet music and books, I sequenced backing tracks and recorded us, I took them places to play out that they never even knew exsisted! When it was time to put a full band together, I ran ad's, I brought people I knew in to try out, I got us hooked up with a bass player guy I knew that had a drum kit and a P.A. and a place to play loud. (Along with that deal came a drummer that we've kept.)

(I have been in bands that have practiced 4 times a week, rented rehersal space, played shows and gone into the studio.)

Now.. These kids (as I call them) and I used to play 3 times a week no problem and in doing so we've built up like 60 songs, BUT NOW they are enamored with the drummer to a point where it's somehow okay for him to show like once or twice a month!!!! They have caught this blow off disease where we went from two week nights and an all day weekend to just one week night that is a hit or miss if the drummer shows up.
He COULD BE a really great player IF he made an attempt at tempo, played 80% less fills and showed up on a regular basis, BUT that hasn't been happening and he hasn't even bought a set of sticks! He WAS using this old fucked up kit we had at the jam spot that has two crash/rides (Fucking Sabian B8's!) until I HAD TO take all of them to his house, into the basement and carry out pieces of an old Tama kit with no cymbals or stands...Just a bass and a tom! He's using my DW pedal and now they want me to take my Sonor kit out of storage and all my cymbals and hardware for him to use. These kids think they are gonna do gigs with that kit he's using now!
The whole thing is a fucking mess I swear, BUT BUT BUT BUT!!!!!!!!
When I said "This kid has got to get it together or go 'cus he's holding this thing up."

It was an argument and they just didn't want to hear that if someone doesn't show up the band sucks! (Keep in mind I've known the drummer for years and they've known him for months and I STILL want him gone.) They SOMEHOW think you can get something out of it that you don't put into it.

So in the midst of this insanity (Again keeping in mind all the things I've listed above as contributing.) I was informed by the kid I taught guitar to that it was HIS BAND!!!!
I said "Whoa fuckin' Nelly!.. This is OUR band!" (Meaning everyone in it.), but no, it's HIS band!!! Seriously I was gonna kick HIS ASS, but I stayed as cool as possible.

So with that in mind, how would you guys approach this?

Oh and BTW, this is the band I should buy a new guitar instead of a 312b for!!!!

:)

Last edited:
Hey Billy, I've played in bands 30 yrs, how much time you got. What is the age difference? Right off the bat, the kid has already developed an ego. Time to go. They haven't played long enough to learn what it's really about. PLUS, they anint PAID NO DUES man. Maybe in 10 years they might get it. Musicianship is like any other profession in life. Try acting like that in any other and your down the road pal.
So, don't take my word for it, but I'd bet $100 you heading for a permenant headache, heartache, and an emptys wallet. Let them growup on their own, you got better ways to waste time and money.Well, my ,02
fitZ:)

Thanks for the reply and advice Rick.
I've tried to explain to these guys that if anyone treated their job with the commitment the drummer is showing that they'd be fired in a heartbeat... I don't get it.

LOL- Don't worry guys, I'm not looking for anyone to talk me into what seems obvious or anything like that, I'd just like to hear your reaction to it. I'd ALMOST like to print out the replys and show them like "Look, here are guys that have played longer than you guys have been alive and they don't care one way or another about this band, but they can see this shit doesn't add up!"

I feel like the fire department has to show up before they'll be convinced that when I said I smelled smoke I was serious.

Ahh! Memories..............

Back about 20 years ago when I was playing clubs with our band, each member was responsible for their own gear and for showing up for EVERY practise and gig.

If you were a slacker, you were gone. Period.

If you couldn't afford gear, same story.

None of us were independently wealthy enough to dish out like you seem to have done for these "starlets".

You sound like a great guy Billy. I think you are being used and abused by your band-mates and I don't like to see good people being taken advantage of.

We stopped playing live because our lives were changing and most of knew we were never going to make a real steady income from gigging so, we did break up as a band but remained friends.

The music is still the most important thing in my life and that's why I built the best studio I could afford, piece by piece and use it to this day for pleasure. Never for pain.

Cheers! :)

Wow- Thanks Ghost.

Isn't it insane to imagine some one showing up one or two times out of 12 per month and then the line being drawn against me for pointing it out?

Mark me down as a sucker! (LOL)

Seems like you have a nest of hand-picked and groomed primadonnas,...

who think you're their ticket to rock stardom.

Well, I feel for you, man, but you shouldn't overextend yourself to people who obviously don't give a damn, or who are in it for themselves, to see how much they can get,... [how many freebies].

Just nip it in the bud. Buy the M312 and a less expensive guitar, call quits to the band, get back everything you've given or loaned out, and just get on with solo home recording,... which in light of things like this, is actually more productive and more fun. Definitely less headache.

I know, and I think we've all been there, when a group has members who are completely into it, and other members who are not. It sucks, straight out, and there' s no cure for it either,... except to go your separate ways. Anyway, in the balance of things, you've already been blown off, many times, and your little group is just a nuiscance or matter of convenience to your 'bandmates'.

Also, the thing about loaning out all your gear, so your gearless friends can have a decent setup to jam on,... no. That will only lead to more leaching activity on their part, coupled with an attitude layed on you as if they deserve it. I've been there, too, so I'm speaking from experience. Don't do it.

Do it all for yourself, instead, and/or find another group of friends to jam with.

Thanks Reel you're dead on too.

It just came to me (Duh!) that the way emotions and friendships are involved it really feels like a dating break up....
( LOL- Guess who WAS putting out pretty easily?)

I just started to read the end of this post as it seems to be one of the only things going on in this forum lately. But I am in a simular problem too.

I had given up on being in a band and was going to do everything solo, then hire people to play in MY band later on when I get to the record deal part of this whole thing. But now I am good friends with someone who plays drums and have been jamming. He ain't got a dime to drop on anything. I was using my name Berntson as the band name (granted I was the only one in it), but my buddy isn't too happy and wants a different name. But I already dropped over $250 dollars on a silk screen kit and T-Shirts that are already printed up. I already made patches and I write all the songs. I am more than acceptable to creative input, especially the kind that goes, "hey.....uhhhh.........don't try to hit that note anymore........ain't gonna happen........" Nothing better than someone with that kind of honesty. Plus I have ALL the recording equipment. But is kind of hard to say, "hey, I know we have a band and all, but its seems to be 99% mine. So, you don't get any money from clothing sales.....cool.....?......"

I don't know, I am kind of at a loss here. Don't really know what to do. I would like to have a drummer and even a full band, but I think I need MY OWN band. Guys who just wanna play. People who will write their own parts to my songs, but still accept that I run the show. They get money off live gigs, but thats it for now.

I feel like the jackass living in a fantasy that isn't going to happy, as I haven't found anyone like that yet, but I have to lay it on the line tomarrow with my buddy who is drumming. Its my show. I want you play. I want your input. I want you to contribute. But I am financing this whole thing, so I own it.

Something tells me this isn't going to go over too well. But I gotta do it.

Sorry for the rant. But its nice to now I am not alone with these problems.

Hey Outlaws, ever heard the term "sideman"? Seems like no one these days understands the meaning. IF, you want to be the CEO, then from my experience, you gotta pay the wages. THAT means all of it. Rehearsal wages, playing wages, and even
per deim, if they gotta travel. That is the real world. Otherwise, if you want a demacratic band, they have a say. But if they are WORKING for you, you have the last word, make the profit, and get the glory. But you have to pay to get the people to do it your way. Period. No one, at least mature musicians will have it any other way.
Well, thats my take on it. I understand though.
fitZ:)

Rick,

Understandable.

My biggest thing is that the name is Berntson, and I write the base songs. If they want to contribute, then that is fine. They will get credit. Kind of like DaveMathewsBand. They are all in it together, but one of them is the song writer. They all get money from the live shows evenly, and they all get merchandise profits. But I am funding it for the time being, so its my game.

Seems fair enough to me.

This is all kind of tricky because I had everything figured out to work perfectly in my solo career. Now I have someone who I WANT to play drums. Sticky situation.

Sorry to highjack this thread......but its on the fourth page so I think there is some unwritten rule that its fair game now.

No it's cool Outlaws... (I hijacked it actually, but it seems we've been doing that here so..)

I know someone that was in your situation and went through the motions of band members being disatisfied.
I doubt it will be the same for you or helpful, BUT they got over the nightmare by hiring (At friendly sideman rates) people to cut a record, THEN they advertised for members to join the band like, "The John Doe band seeks a drummer" and by doing that it was understood from the get go that that was the chain of command. (Or at least discussed from the start with out time, cash or friendships being at stake.)

In my case If this band started off that way (As HIS BAND) I would probally not have minded, but after 4 years of me doing things including relocating within my city to jam, scoring a job with a record label for contacts AND even coming up with the name of the band, then being told in no uncertain terms it was not "Our Band" is just way WAY too much...It's spit in the face actually.

I think the younger guys NEED a thread or something like that for these kind of things.... Maybe a site that acts as a "Peoples Court" for bands and the ruling would be given by poll or by a panel of experienced people.

Hey outlaws, it's the internet, remember?:D me too. And I didn't mean to make light of your post. But I have been in many situations as a paid sideman. In fact, my first band happened to get a gig as a solo artist backing band. I was the "leader" only cause I knew more than 3 chords:D Over a years course, we got to back a hundred or more solo artists. Played lots and lots of concerts. BIG concerts. Had to learn their songs in 3 minutes or less. I was all of 17. Made lots of mistakes, and took a lot of shit from the so called "artists". Most of them were one time wonders who didn't know thier ass from.....you know. But I got paid. And had a ball doing it. It's called "paying dues". And from that experience, our band was offered a recording contract with Capitol records. Only, 4 members including me, got draft notices in ONE week. Before we could sign.:( oh, sorry for the ramble. Old farts tend to do that.:D
fitZ

Since this is a hijacked thread, a quick hello from a newbie on this board.

To answer the orignal question, I use a Deltalabs ADM256 and a Ibenez HD1000. Oh and a Fender Champ and a SM57 set up in the bathroom. :-D

djw

Yeah,... right,... and so,...

what was the original question?

Whatever the question, I like the "Fender Champ & SM57 set up in the bathroom" answer. It puts home recording in proper perspective!

Anyway, what was the original question? Oh, never mind!

My pool's almost that big! 30'x35' rectangle + 8'x9' outset spa!

Here's my son, practicing his casting from the deep end.;)

[... in better days,... now trees are gone, grass is gone, and water is green!... Yikes!]:eek:

Attachments

• jamey - pool.jpg
    jamey - pool.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 52
Welcome Bones,

I have no idea what the starter question was either, but no worries... As long as you don't mean Freddy Fender with a 357 in the bathroom, then it was the right answer.

Just kidding-Welcome really.

Back