i5 / i7 6th/7th gen for home production

alexondrums

I’d like replace my current laptop with a mini PC for hobby home recording and production.

Typically I record my Roland V-Drums, usually via MIDI, and/or input via my MIDI controller keyboard.

Occasionally I record headphone jams via my V-Drums (MIDI), a guitar and vocals via the inputs on my Behringer UMC204HD.

Finally I also mix and master fairly simple recordings – all the above with a handful of plugins, usually 1 or 2 for each track, and no more than 8 tracks. I’m using Ableton Lite 10/11 most of the time.

My Current laptop spec:

Lenovo Ideapad Z570
  • Intel Core i5-2410M 2.3GHz
  • 6GB DDR3 1333
  • SSD
  • Windows 7 / Windows 10
I have a budget of around £250-£300 and am really keen on the Lenovo Mini PCs such as this i5

https://www.tech-bazaar.com/product/lenovo-m910q-mini-pc-intel-i5-6500t/

I’d upgrade to 16GB RAM and an SSD, although 32GB RAM is an option.

Alternatively, I really like this i7 version, but it’s just a bit out of my price range.

https://www.tech-bazaar.com/product/lenovo-thinkcenter-m710q-mini-pc-intel-quadcore-i7-7700t/

Are either of these going to handle what I describe above, and can I settle with and i5 or an i7, and 16GB or 32GB RAM.

I know the usual advice is get the best you can afford, but here I’m curious to know If the i5 will do, and if I should go 16 or 32GB RAM?

Any other suggestions or advice welcome

Virtual instruments are more demanding on the system than almost anything else. So, I would save up for the i7 but, even more than that, I would insist on M.2 SSD speeds. And get a big SSD that will fit everything.

Your current setup looks adequate to me.
Recording midi is almost no load at all.
SSD makes quite a difference, but you already have that.
i5 is plenty, I was happily recording on an i3, although a fast one.
Your budget is not big enough to make enough of a difference.

One thing to look out for is that you need at least an 8th generation Intel processor to run Windows 11. If you're buying now, plan on 4 years left for WIn10 support.

I would run your current laptop until you can at least snag a good used 9th or 10 gen unit in another year or so. Intel is currently on 12th gen processors. Save up enough money and you'll probably be able to get enough money to buy a new one. Faster memory, SSDs, faster processor, Put £2 a day in a jar, lay off the Starbucks and McD's and in a year you'll have enough for a right nice rig!

IMHO 16G of ram is OTT for such basic music/MIDI work. I understand that lots of ram is needed if you are running a massive samples library or editing 4k TV but not for music. But, if you have it, fine.
All else being equal (never is) the PC gurus say a fast processor is the major factor in audio work especially for low latency.

SSD yes because W10 'expects' one to be fitted.

I would also look to upgrade that Behringer interface. Don't all shout at me! Yes, I have HAD a 204HD and they are remarkably good for the money but there is much better about . NI KA6, MOTU M4.

Dave.

Your current setup looks adequate to me.
Recording midi is almost no load at all.
SSD makes quite a difference, but you already have that.
i5 is plenty, I was happily recording on an i3, although a fast one.
Your budget is not big enough to make enough of a difference.

Thanks, although I’m a bit surprised by this, I will admit I’ve not really had any issues so far. I do use VST’s to playback the MIDI though, which is much more resource intensive, but it’s been OK so far.
It is only a 2nd gen i5, so over 10 years old now. I have had some trouble with it since I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 a few days ago, but I think I have that mostly sorted. It also coincided with an upgrade from Ableton Live Lite 10 to 11.
Some of the reason to upgrade the laptop was for convenience, and I had the feeling this laptop was on the edge of handling it - but that’s a slight placebo effect just from advice I’ve had before that states I need the highest, fastest, most of everything I can afford for this application.

One thing to look out for is that you need at least an 8th generation Intel processor to run Windows 11. If you're buying now, plan on 4 years left for WIn10 support.

I would run your current laptop until you can at least snag a good used 9th or 10 gen unit in another year or so. Intel is currently on 12th gen processors. Save up enough money and you'll probably be able to get enough money to buy a new one. Faster memory, SSDs, faster processor, Put £2 a day in a jar, lay off the Starbucks and McD's and in a year you'll have enough for a right nice rig!

Right now I absolutely do not intend to go Windows 11 anytime soon, or even in the next few years. I’ve only just upgraded this laptop from Windows 7 to 10 in the last few days.
TBH, it’s not like I’m a kid saving his pocket money to buy stuff – I could probably just go and buy a Intel 12th gen PC tomorrow – but that’s not how budgeting works! At the same time, this is just a hobby so I don’t really have a need to invest a ton of money on a new PC for it. Just something that does the job well. Thanks for the help!

IMHO 16G of ram is OTT for such basic music/MIDI work. I understand that lots of ram is needed if you are running a massive samples library or editing 4k TV but not for music. But, if you have it, fine.
All else being equal (never is) the PC gurus say a fast processor is the major factor in audio work especially for low latency.

SSD yes because W10 'expects' one to be fitted.

I would also look to upgrade that Behringer interface. Don't all shout at me! Yes, I have HAD a 204HD and they are remarkably good for the money but there is much better about . NI KA6, MOTU M4.

Dave.

I was thinking 16GB would be a happy medium, as I know Windows 10 itself is much happier with 16GB than 8GB. It makes sense that I need fast CPU and storage options to prevent latency etc, but it sounds like I might not need anything too outrageous for now.
Regarding the interface – I only bought the Behringer 3 months ago and have yet to use it in anger, so I’m defo not about to replace it! Having read tons of reviews and watched countless YT videos on it, for my budget and needs, the HD204 seems ideal. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Fair enough Alex. I found the 204 HD quite a good interface, mic pres are low enough in noise and high enough in gain for most dynamics for speech, might struggle with a 7b though! The output level is low compared to my NI KA6 which does not really matter a lot except it bugs me! Getting the gain in the OP stage to say +12dBu for 0dBFS costs nothing.

I sent mine to my son in France and he was happy with it but found the outputs and operation a bit confusing. He now has a MOTU M4 and is much happier with that.

Not that I am any PC guru but I am told it is at least as important as fast hardware to have a 'lean, clean' computer? If you have any protection software on it except Windows Defender, ditch it. Malwarebytes free is fine. I run it about once a month, rarely finds anything but don't let it update as it pleases! Check that there are no 'legacy' programs running at start up.

I apologize if this is a 'granny and eggs' scenario!

Dave.

Upgrading to something that could drive a 4K screen might be worth thinking about. That would improve the whole experience.
That is probably the time to get the best wizz-bang processor, and a lorry load of ram.

Right now I absolutely do not intend to go Windows 11 anytime soon, or even in the next few years. I’ve only just upgraded this laptop from Windows 7 to 10 in the last few days.
TBH, it’s not like I’m a kid saving his pocket money to buy stuff – I could probably just go and buy a Intel 12th gen PC tomorrow – but that’s not how budgeting works! At the same time, this is just a hobby so I don’t really have a need to invest a ton of money on a new PC for it. Just something that does the job well. Thanks for the help!
I understand staying with WIn 10. I have 3 out of my 4 computers that are stopping with Win 10. The processors are just too old to have the TMP 2.0, one is a 2nd Gen I3, and one is an old AMD Phenom X6. They are both over 10 years old, but still run fine. My recording computer has a 4th gen I5 and works great. I'll probably keep that one on WIn 10 but it won't stay online, and move the 2nd Gen I3 to Linux when 10 loses support. The Phenom will be replaced, and by that time, I'll probably just get a 12th or 13th gen desktop.

My thought was that if I was buying today, I would make sure it was good for 10 more years. Heck, it might last longer than me! It's just that the new systems really are much more capable. I expect this chip shortage and price jumps will be gone within a year, so you'll be able to find powerful system at decent prices. Frankly, even today, systems are affordable. I remember spending $150 for my first computer in 1981! I used a cassette deck to store programs. That is about $450 today. I got a 10th Gen I7 laptop 2 years ago for under $500.

Just looking on Craigslist, I see a refurb Dell I5 mini tower system with 8GB ram running Win 11 with a 22" monitor for $275. Easy enough to add 8GB more memory, and an SSD for under $100. That should be plenty to run anything you are wanting to do.

Fair enough Alex. I found the 204 HD quite a good interface, mic pres are low enough in noise and high enough in gain for most dynamics for speech, might struggle with a 7b though! The output level is low compared to my NI KA6 which does not really matter a lot except it bugs me! Getting the gain in the OP stage to say +12dBu for 0dBFS costs nothing.

I sent mine to my son in France and he was happy with it but found the outputs and operation a bit confusing. He now has a MOTU M4 and is much happier with that.

Not that I am any PC guru but I am told it is at least as important as fast hardware to have a 'lean, clean' computer? If you have any protection software on it except Windows Defender, ditch it. Malwarebytes free is fine. I run it about once a month, rarely finds anything but don't let it update as it pleases! Check that there are no 'legacy' programs running at start up.

I apologize if this is a 'granny and eggs' scenario!

Dave.

Thanks! My application is mostly for demos and personal projects – it doesn’t have to be perfect, as long as it’s decent. Once I’ve outgrown my interface, I’ll look at upgrading it, but I’m pretty much still at the learning phase as not had one before.

Ref my laptop, it’s in very lean shape, as I’ve just wiped it and clean installed Windows 10 a few days ago. It only has Ableton and some plugins installed!
No worries about the granny and eggs stuff! This is the internet, and no one knows each others backstories so I just appreciate all the help and advice :-)

Upgrading to something that could drive a 4K screen might be worth thinking about. That would improve the whole experience.
That is probably the time to get the best wizz-bang processor, and a lorry load of ram.

That’s the dream! Haha, but for now I’m content with my 1080p 22” setup which is fine for 8 tracks limitation of Live Lite. (y)

I understand staying with WIn 10. I have 3 out of my 4 computers that are stopping with Win 10. The processors are just too old to have the TMP 2.0, one is a 2nd Gen I3, and one is an old AMD Phenom X6. They are both over 10 years old, but still run fine. My recording computer has a 4th gen I5 and works great. I'll probably keep that one on WIn 10 but it won't stay online, and move the 2nd Gen I3 to Linux when 10 loses support. The Phenom will be replaced, and by that time, I'll probably just get a 12th or 13th gen desktop.

My thought was that if I was buying today, I would make sure it was good for 10 more years. Heck, it might last longer than me! It's just that the new systems really are much more capable. I expect this chip shortage and price jumps will be gone within a year, so you'll be able to find powerful system at decent prices. Frankly, even today, systems are affordable. I remember spending $150 for my first computer in 1981! I used a cassette deck to store programs. That is about $450 today. I got a 10th Gen I7 laptop 2 years ago for under $500.

Just looking on Craigslist, I see a refurb Dell I5 mini tower system with 8GB ram running Win 11 with a 22" monitor for $275. Easy enough to add 8GB more memory, and an SSD for under $100. That should be plenty to run anything you are wanting to do.
Yeah, if I was going to invest a lot of time and effort into my DAW stuff, I would probably match my budget, but this is something that I’ll be doing in my spare time at my leisure.

Good to hear your similarly aged hardware runs well – it gives hope for my laptop which should be ok for a while yet.

I agree the you get an awful lot of capability for the money these days – those links I referred to demonstrate that, and they’re not even the best of value. My first PC in 1991 – a 486, cost £1500 – in 2008 I built a Core2Quad PC for under £500 (I still have it), my 2nd gen i5 laptop that I’m using for DAW stuff was about £600 in 2011, and I’ve recently bought a refurbished ThinkPad P50 as my main workstation, with an i7 for £500. So I absolutely see how the cost of this tech has gone down dramatically over the years! There’s some great value stuff out there. :-)

Alex, you say you use Ableton? You might like to check out Bandlab's Cakewalk, similar sort of DAW and free!
My son has been using Sampitude Pro X 3 for years and still does for editing but for building music loops he now uses Cakewalk.

Dave.

Alex, you say you use Ableton? You might like to check out Bandlab's Cakewalk, similar sort of DAW and free!
My son has been using Sampitude Pro X 3 for years and still does for editing but for building music loops he now uses Cakewalk.

Dave.
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve actually tried Cakewalk about 5 months ago, and think it will be quite excellent (also use Bandlab to collaborate with a freind) – but I’ve been learning Ableton for the past 2 years and after all that effort (and it was an effort!), I don't want to learn another DAW just yet! I knew Cubase way back, around VST 5 and SX 1.1, but didn't want to pay for a new version at the time, so decided to go with Ableton, which came with some hardware I bought during lockdown.

I’m really enjoying Ableton and think I’ll stick with it for a while longer. Once I’m more confident with all the fundamentals in signal routing and all the associated DAW terms, I will probably migrate over to Cakewalk, or at least use both.

I’m not really into looping and all the stuff Ableton is good at, but have more recently become interested in stuff like this and curious to learn it a bit, and try out some EDM.
Most of what I do is recording band jam sessions or demos with 1 or 2 other people – just guitar, V-Drums and a mic. Other stuff might be overdubbed. I also use a MIDI controller keyboard for composing.

I did get Studio One Prime with some Presonus monitors I bought, which I wanted to try out – but it wouldn’t run on Windows 7. This is one reason I’ve just upgraded to Windows 10.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve actually tried Cakewalk about 5 months ago, and think it will be quite excellent (also use Bandlab to collaborate with a freind) – but I’ve been learning Ableton for the past 2 years and after all that effort (and it was an effort!), I don't want to learn another DAW just yet! I knew Cubase way back, around VST 5 and SX 1.1, but didn't want to pay for a new version at the time, so decided to go with Ableton, which came with some hardware I bought during lockdown.

I’m really enjoying Ableton and think I’ll stick with it for a while longer. Once I’m more confident with all the fundamentals in signal routing and all the associated DAW terms, I will probably migrate over to Cakewalk, or at least use both.

I’m not really into looping and all the stuff Ableton is good at, but have more recently become interested in stuff like this and curious to learn it a bit, and try out some EDM.
Most of what I do is recording band jam sessions or demos with 1 or 2 other people – just guitar, V-Drums and a mic. Other stuff might be overdubbed. I also use a MIDI controller keyboard for composing.

I did get Studio One Prime with some Presonus monitors I bought, which I wanted to try out – but it wouldn’t run on Windows 7. This is one reason I’ve just upgraded to Windows 10.
Yeah, EDM. More the sort of thing son is doing (also the first movement of Brandenburg #3) I used the term "looping" as a rather lazy, shortcut to making music with samples.

Dave.

Just realize that if your computer was made after 2010, its about forty trillion times more powerful than the systems I mixed hundreds of albums on

Back