I want to record on the computer...help needed

waylay00

Hello guys,

I'm a serious musician who wants to start recording. My dad used to be an active musician , and he recorded alot back in the 70's/80's. Because of this, I am fortunate to start off with some OK/decent gear, such as two SM57's. He's taught me about mic placement, etc. However, he is just as clueless as I am when it comes to the whole digital/computer recording.

I want to be able to mic my amp, record it, master it, and use drum and bass loops to create my own songs. I've heard alot about the PreSonus stuff around here. I was looking at the Inspire, until I heard many here mention the Firebox. Is the extra money worth it to get the Firebox if you are doing what I'm doing? What about the Line 6 Toneport?

As far as software, I'm starting to understand the whole VSTi/DXi things and how you can "ReWire" them to a host program. However, I do not know which host program would be best suited for me. I'd really like to keep costs down as much $200 max for software. I've played around with Cubase SE, Sonar Home Studio 4, and FL Producer, but I'm so lost at this computer recording stuff that I can't prefer one over the other.

For example, can I make drum loops within Sonar Home Studio or Cubase, or do I need a sequencer like FL?

Also for example, which is better for my situation, Cubase SE or Sonar Home Studio 4? I'm lost with all of this.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade

Oh yeah, here are my computer specs if needed

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
2GB OCZ PC3200
74GB Western Digital Raptor SATA 10,000rpm HDD

I'm sure you could create drum beats in either of the softwares, your problem there would be having a drum program for the midi notes to trigger. You may want to check out BFD or Drum Kit from Hell. I use BFD and I am quite happy with it.

All right, what about the other stuff?

BTW, how is Fruity Loops audio recording interface versus something like Cubase SE or Sonar Home Studio?

waylay00 said:
All right, what about the other stuff?

BTW, how is Fruity Loops audio recording interface versus something like Cubase SE or Sonar Home Studio?

Fruity loops is not an audio recording interface; just a music production software.

FL Studio Producer has an audio recording interface. (That's one reason that sets it apart from regular FL Studio)

Back