I used to really dislike......

There is the silly goatee you sport on occasion other than that I'm all over yer...

Oh and the Marshalls, Not too keen on them but I can live with that...;)

The goatee is long gone. It was long and nasty. I didn't like it either. I grew it to ruin my sister's wedding.

Marshalls are british amps. I would have thought you'd have a Marshall alter somewhere in your house. :D

I always dismissed New Order....guess it was that fucking England song that did it...now Movement and Power Corruption & Lies are two of my favourite 80's albums...superb

The goatee is long gone. It was long and nasty. I didn't like it either. I grew it to ruin my sister's wedding.

Marshalls are british amps. I would have thought you'd have a Marshall alter somewhere in your house. :D

Never been into Marshall's they just aint my sound. Nothing wrong with em they just aint for me. I have a very old Pro Amp Viper made by ex Marshall guys which was aimed at their market back in the late 70's early 80's. I Love that amp... It's the oldest bit of kit that I still have that I got from new..

Back in the day, the 70s, I was into Mott the Hoople, Slade, and T. Rex. No one I knew, except some immediate friends who were influenced by me knew who they were or liked them. Meanwhile, I guess I was a rebel within a rebel. I hated listening to LedZep, Boston, Springsteen, Floyd, or any of the bands that were popular at the time. It's not that I didn't like their music per se, but just rebelled against the mainstream.

I think the older I get the more music I actually like or at least find some band or artist within particular genres that I like. There are still genres I pretty much can't stand, like rap and hip-hop, but even within those genres I can find a song here or there that appeal to me.

Anyways, I can't really think of a particular band that I hated and now like.

I used to be an Elvis and newer rock and pop guy, but once my kids got into band and orchestra I decided I was going to learn right along with them. I've opened my ears to classical and big band music and I like rigid jazz, but I don't like the atonal no boundaries jazz.

I'm so sick of classic rock and at my age I think I'm making a fool of myself if I try to play anything current, but I've found there's a treasure trove of older music out there I used to just completely dismiss.

On the top of my list would be Sinatra, not so much because of his singing talent, but because of his repertoire and arrangements. He was for the most part in control of this and probably doesn't get enough credit for this aspect of his career. One for my baby and The way you look tonight would be my favorites.

Over the years I've discovered that my musical tastes have widened. I can appreciate more musical genres than I used to, even though I may not head-over-heels like them. But, for example, where I once used to instantly dismiss Doris Day, I now appreciate her silkiness, technique and effortlessness in vocal delivery, as much as I appreciate the raw uninhibitedness of Shane MacGowan.

And, Rosemary Clooney? :o

Weekend nights NPR has some really good programming that can expand music tastes for those with open ears and mind. It sure beats the hell out of the repetitive corporate mandated playlists of commercial radio stations. Fire up the grill have a seat with your favorite beverage, and enjoy some sounds to which you would not normally be exposed, or even know to choose if you were looking to hear something different. My grandkids even like it, which is a bonus...exposes them to different styles of music, some of which that is being otherwise lost through the passage of time.

I used to seriously dislike Elvis. On reflection, it was the hype I was severely irritated by. I hated the idea that this cheese was called the king of rock'n'roll. Even though I dug the Beatles and they were big, big fans of Elvis, I thought he was as lame as his movies, which I thought, even as a kid, were tripe no rat would eat. It was also some silly youthful snobbery on my part as I looked down on anyone that didn't write at least some of their own material.
But just as this century began, I began to appreciate some of his early stuff and there's now about 11 of his songs that I think are damn good. He also had a very distinctive voice.

I also used to hate disco music. Maybe hate is a bit strong. All my mates and all the girls I fancied, indeed the whole city I lived in at the time {'79~'80}, seemed to have gone gaga for disco. And I had just discovered Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Melanie, Creedence and a slew of music that was passe even to the disco~lites.
What lowered my defences were all the parties I went to and visits to my friends where all you heard was Donna Summer or Chic or the Gap band or Earth, wind & fire or Sister Sledge or whoever the heck it was that I couldn't escape from. I guess that stuff came in by osmosis. I love those songs now. Though they were aimed at dancers, fact is, most of them are neat songs that have stood the test of not only time but my rigorously biased filters.

New thread opportunities:
"Groups that I used to like that I now realise are shite and I've hidden/sold/burnt their CDs/LPs/MP3 files and feel shame when I think about"
"What conclusions would someone draw if they saw the first screen's worth of Artists on my iPod?"
"If there were only two bands left in the world and you had to kill one of them, and those two bands were ELO & ELP, who'd get machine gunned?"

I persuaded myself that I couldn't possibly like Jeff Buckley as my GF at the time had zero musical taste and cred and she thought he was awesome, so therefore I had to dislike him. Except I later realised I didn't. And then he died, thus saving me from making the situation worse, over the years.

I never disliked Cream but it took me years to "get" them. I was fascinated by them after reading about them when I was 16 and just before I turned 18, got "Live Cream vol 1." I certainly liked the heaviness of the guitar, bass and drums but I found I couldn't process the lengthy improvisations of "NSU" and "Sweet wine." The songs were good up to the point when the improvisations began and then I was just lost. It seemed like aimless inaccessible meanderings which seemed to bear out Tony Palmer's observation that songs were played "until physical and mental exhaustion brought them to an end."
So I put them down for 9 years and it was when I had been well into jazz, avant garde and improvisation as well as being a jamming player myself, not adverse to playing for 90~120 minutes at a time, that I thought I'd revisit the Cream ouvre. And lo and behold, I got it. I understood why they went the way they did and I can really dig their stuff. So much so that I see them as a really important fulcrum and staging post in 4 genres, psychedelia, hard rock/heavy metal, progressive rock and jazz rock.

Back