I tried, I really tried !

I just bought that one!
Time will tell.
Some Yes fans love love love that album. I think it comes down to what you want from Yes on any particular record. They're a very hit/miss band for me (despite being one of my all-time favorites). Early 70s and mid 80s are the only eras I revisit, while everything else they've made is respectable stuff it doesn't grab me enough to devote any ear time to it.

Some Yes fans love love love that album. I think it comes down to what you want from Yes on any particular record. They're a very hit/miss band for me (despite being one of my all-time favorites). Early 70s and mid 80s are the only eras I revisit, while everything else they've made is respectable stuff it doesn't grab me enough to devote any ear time to it.
My feelings exactly.

I am a fan of Yes, and have quite a few of their albums, from the Time and a Word to Relayer, Drama, Tormato, 90125 to Ladder. I used to listen to Topographic Oceans years ago. It's been a long time since I've pulled it out since it's on vinyl and in box without any sleeves. Next time I'll scrubbing albums, I'll have to dig it out and give it some love.

After posting this morning, I had a quick listen to some tracks off the Topographic Ocean album and there were musical and vocal phrases which were similar to previous albums with more commercial material. Not much else, though - just enough of a glimmer here and there to remind me of earlier works that I like very much.

Jaco genius RIP man
I've never been able to worship at the altar of Jaco. I think Colin Hodgkinson on Back Door's debut album was doing long before Jaco, what Jaco is constantly revered for doing.
Captain Beefheart is horrible
If I had a voice like his, I'd expect to be jailed or deported !
I totally agree with the comments about Beefheart. I remember when he got some glowing review about his avant-garde approach to music. He was on a Warner Bros record that had a bunch of their artists. My impression was "this is crap". A friend bought Trout Mask Replica, and was pissed because he had spent good money for it. It wasn't even good for comic relief!
The funny thing with "Trout Mask Replica" is that it has one of my top 5 album covers1671441574703.png I really love that cover, it is a brilliant, yet so simple, piece of art. I also think the title is utterly fantastic.
But there the praise ends. Musically it is awful. Vocally it is arrest-worthy.
You want to torture me for my secrets ? Tie me to a chair and keep playing Trout Mask Replica ! I'll cave by the second track.

That's old info that has been in the public domain for over half a century.
But it doesn't change the reality that for me, Revolution#9 is aural diarrhoea. Or constipation. I can't quite make up my mind which !
I've been here for nearly three quarters of a century, but until recently I had never read anything about the why's or how's of #9. It may be old info to you, but it was new info for me. TAE can perhaps appreciate #9 from a different perspective than my own perspective that #9 was never a Beatle song in the truest sense, but the decision was made to include #9 on the album. It could have been worse, though, if Yoko had added her voice to #9.

IMO, she destroyed the Beatles.

Almost everything about the Small Faces' 1968 album, "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" 1671526032461.pngis brilliant. East London mods that have absorbed soul, R&B, Brit pop, and the emerging harder-edged rock meet LSD and with Ian McLagen turning his hand to piano, electric piano, harpsichord, organ and mellotron and the Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane writing team delivering superb songs and becoming real contenders in that dept, they turned in one of the first real concept albums {the side long story of Happiness Stan} and though arguably a year late, one of the great British psychedelic albums. It was out long before the Pretty Things' "SF Sorrow" or the Who's "Tommy" and never gets the credit for having beaten those two to the punch.
It has the right balance of variety of styles, electric and acoustic instruments and great singing, and also one of the best balances of actual songs and jamming, with neither outstaying their welcome. The musical influences all come together in a quite startling way and could only really have been made by the Small Faces. The Kinks from North London, the Who from West London, the Pretty Things and the Stones from that South London/ Kent enclave ~ none of them could have authentically put this together. And the parody cover of a tin of tobacco is so psychedelically subversive, wicked !
I love this album.
So what's wrong with it ?
Stanley Unwin !
On the "Happiness Stan" side, they get this comedian, Stanley Unwin, to do voiceovers and narration. He was famous for speaking English in a sort of nonsensical way and he links a lot of the tracks.
He absolutely drives me nuts. He is so annoying.
Conceptually, I love the idea of having him on the album. Executionally, I'm not a fan. The band originally wanted Spike Milligan to narrate but I'm not sure that would have worked either.
Thanks to Audacity, I've managed to edit him out of most of it, limiting him to a word here or a syllable there, except on one of my favourite songs, "HappyDaysToyTown" in which he has a significant monologue as the band are jamming the song out and I have to include him because it would have butchered the song too much to take his bit out. So I'm doomed 🥶 😱 to hear Stan's "Unwinese" as long as I'm alive to listen to the album.

I also can't stand Whitney Houston's "I will always love you." I'm generally quite open to songs. If I like them, then I like them, I don't care what their standing is in the hip stakes. But I just can't get behind that song. I even played it on stage once, back in '97, as a singer I was playing with wanted to cover it. We practiced it over and over but it just never did anything for me. It went down really well but I just wanted everyone to forget they ever saw me playing it.

"Three times a lady" is another one in that vein. I had a mate back in the late 70s that played that song incessantly. Every time I was at his house, he played it over and over. All the other songs he played a lot, I grew to quite like. But not that one. Years later, I was talking with a different friend and he pegged the song as "too classic to be a classic." I knew what he meant. It's almost as though it was written to be a classic great. But it never makes it.
Don't buy it for me for my birthday ! 😡

Elton John album 'The Fox'.
Elton is really not my cup of tea, but I think I bought the album second hand. It was all crap.
Actually, I didn't reeally try very hard. I think it just got one listen.

Wait. . . Wait. . . I'm squeezing out another one . . .

YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans

I bought this album fully expecting to hear some really nice material produced for the commercial market, then. . . nothing.
I listened through completely the day I purchased it, put them back in their sleeves and never touched it after that. That was the most UN-enjoyable album experience I've ever had. That flipped my YES switch off.
Yup As a keyboardist I am a HUGE fan of Wakeman. As a singer I have total respect for Jon as he sings like an angel. But yeah awesome album cover but the music on the album was not for me.

OK it all makes sense now.... Coincidence? Perhaps not....... Paul kept trying to get them to put it on an album but Noooooo!

BTW one of my favorite McCartney melodies.

1671545490589.png

This has both versions...first with vocals and then the "sing along" I fricking love both versions. Totally dig that tasty mellotron in the sing along..

I gave Enya a shot - no dice. I became bored with the same synths and vocal treatments in every song. It's like all her material is just one long sameness of a single song. I suppose if I were a rich man, sitting in a custom log cabin atop some wilderness peak, with a large fire crackling in the main room, I might dig her stuff as background music - but I'm not that guy.

I lasted one very boring evening at my cousin's house back in '89 with Enya. A couple of people have tried to persuade me of her charms. I'd struggle to be her recording engineer. 😄
Her sister Maire's band however, a totally different proposition.

Jefferson Starship - I was really turned off when this new body emerged from the ashes, succumbing to the need to write for the radio in pursuit of income. Gotta make a livin'

Heart - Ditto, after Dog & Butterfly

Back