I think I've outgrown my Behringer Pres...

Doug H

I'll be there
I'm coming to the conclusion that my 902a is basically a boat anchor with a five page manual.

I've got two main mics, an sm57 and a sp b1 and I use a delta.
I'm hoping to get something that makes the delta the weak link in the signal chain when recording my guitar.

Any help would be appreciated, I've got a couple of things in mind.
I don't want to spend $800 on a pair of pres, but it'd be nice to get something that puts me into "real" pre amp territory if possible and I don't want to mess around with tubes unless it's really the way to go. I'm also more into the rock or crisp accoustic sound area as apposed to mellow jazz.

I'm thinking a decent two channel SS pre and I don't mind of it's better than the rest of my system, I may upgrade later.

I'm gong to be researching this myself, but if anybodys willnig to share some common knowledge or offer an opinion I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Doug

depending on your budget:

RNP - $475 this will make both of those mics sing

Delta DMP3 - $119@GC - really nice clean sound, a step up from the Behringer, but maybe not as much as you'd like, but definitely worth the price.......

Those Behringers make pretty good headphone amps for singers/musicians when tracking, even after you outgrow it as a mixer IMHO. See if you can score the DMP3 for $119 at GC.

Chris

Thanks guys.
I've done some reading through the forums. I think I'm getting the just of it all.
What I've got now, 802a, is more or less usable crap. From there you go to a bunch of different choices that aren't too bad for different applications. Then you get into $500 items that compete with real pro gear, once you clear a grand you're into the real thing and it's a matter of preference and how much you want to spend.

I'm sure I'll get my $175 out of the Behringer, but I wouldn't buy it again if I knew better. It was handy through evolving my setup, which is still pretty simple.

I'm going to do some more poling around, I"m looking for something that doesn't have any strange idiocyrasies as an all purpose pre. The rnp may be a bit out of my price range, it's likely to be $800 here in Canada.

The Delta seems to have decent reviews.

I have the 802 and the DMP3. IMO the DMP3 is quite a step up. It combines warmth with clarity and just sounds great on vocals and acoustic guitar. Paired with a MXL 603s and a MC012 it can do wonders on acoustic.

I faced this same situation a few months ago. Had a Behringer mixer and upgraded to a DMP-3. The DMP 3 has a much smoother, richer sound. It's a good investment.

Gidge said:
Delta DMP3 - $119@GC - really nice clean sound, a step up from the Behringer, but maybe not as much as you'd like, but definitely worth the price.......
It's crazy to me how people on this BBS start quoting an ultralow price that a few people have gotten as the actual price. The going rate for the DMP3 is $199. If you're lucky you can get it for $119.

say you're recording drums with multiple channels though. would bother purchasing multiple dmp3's or just get a much better mixer?

Has anyone compared the DMP3 to the preamps in the new Behringer UB mixers?

I've compared the Behringer MX802A and UB1204-PRO with the Audio Buddy. To my ears, the Audio Buddy was superior to the MX preamps, while the UB series preamps were noticably clearer sounding than the Audio Buddy.

I wonder how much of an improvement there is from the Audio Buddy to the DMP3? After hearing the Behringer UB preamps, I thought the Audio Buddy was sort of murky sounding. Then again, I also found the Studio Projects VTB1 to be better (more natural) sounding than the Behringer UB preamps....

One of the accessible options in my area is an ART 2001 Studio Tube MP. I've heard differing opinions on the board concerning art stuff. It sounds like having one of these around would be cool, but's its not really an all purpose pre. Also, part of the price has to be the tube and vu meter, both of which I"m not very interested in, but I guess just about any low-low mid range pre is going to have one or both.

The dmp3 sounds like a good bet. I priced it at $279 CAN and they are currently sold out. The rnp sounds good, but it's pretty expensive and a bit out of my range. I had someone talk up some recent gear from presonis (this was at a shop that didn't sell mic pres), so I may look into that because I know there's some available around here.

Thanks guys for either replying or adding to the thread.

Doug

cominginsecond said:
It's crazy to me how people on this BBS start quoting an ultralow price that a few people have gotten as the actual price. The going rate for the DMP3 is $199. If you're lucky you can get it for $119.

i Called the Guitar Center in New Orleans and after debating for awhile with an assclown salesperson, the manager said they'd do the $119....everybody seems to be able to get it with a little haggling......I havent seen anyone post that they couldnt get the price.......

have you tried to get it at that price?

Gidge said:
depending on your budget:

RNP - $475 this will make both of those mics sing

G-Mo, you r on point with that joint!

I got mine @ 160 & even that was hard work gettin' that price
with a salesman @ Sammy's who insisted 199+tax!.

I've considered the RNP, but as of the moment I presently own
4 too many pre's now; a Meek, ART TPS(excellent as a DI for bass
& git),Presonus & the DMP all of which has it's own tonal-characteristics differentiating each from the other yet at the same time not providing me with the overall perf, clarity & increased db pad found in upper end pre's that at the moment I cannot afford.

My question to you G-Mo is; does the RNP provide exceptional operation & perf similar to...an upper end pre containing, at least
API components costing a coupla' $G's more!?
I need an all-around, tite-as-a-Neve pre that shines where I don't have to steal from my kid's college fund!

Mustafa Salaam said:
G-Mo, you r on point with that joint!

I got mine @ 160 & even that was hard work gettin' that price
with a salesman @ Sammy's who insisted 199+tax!.

I've considered the RNP, but as of the moment I presently own
4 too many pre's now; a Meek, ART TPS(excellent as a DI for bass
& git),Presonus & the DMP all of which has it's own tonal-characteristics differentiating each from the other yet at the same time not providing me with the overall perf, clarity & increased db pad found in upper end pre's that at the moment I cannot afford.

My question to you G-Mo is; does the RNP provide exceptional operation & perf similar to...an upper end pre containing, at least
API components costing a coupla' $G's more!?
I need an all-around, tite-as-a-Neve pre that shines where I don't have to steal from my kid's college fund!

Forgot to kick Mustafa outta' the hizzle!!!:p

So I took a trip to the shop and...

All the mics have tubes in them. what's up with that?

I have to say the sp vtb1 caught my eye, but $400 a pop is a bit steep, and leaves me a pre short in some cases.

The dmp3 is looking pretty good. I'm gonna dig a bit on the presonis blue max (something like that, blue tubes big brother) since it's priced in the range I was looking for, but if I don't read enough good thiings I think I'm going dmp3.

edit: argh, the guy in the store must have been talking about being able to order the presonis digimax, bummer, I don't want to pay for a/d converters either. It's down to a pair of ART Studios or a dmp3.

A bit off topic but where are you shopping in Ottawa Doug???...

Try going down to steve's music and testing out some pre's. I try and steer clear of Long And Mcquade cause they always seem to push crap. Anyways I have a feeling I know where you got the Behringer and Delta combo cause that seem to be the trademark starter package from L and M. I have never been but I hear Martin Sound has some good stuff too.

I bought my pre from Old school audio off the net. It was an investment but it is a well built pre and I really won't need an upgrade. But it was costly. I also got a presonus blue tube and it has turned me off of presonus gear entirely. Well with our dollar up a bit now is the time to look south if possible.

Peace

I bought the Delta from Steve's, the Behringer from L&M. I've never heard of Martin Sound, I guess I should open up a phone book sometimes, as far as I know it's Steve's, Songbird Music or long and dongs for audio gear.
I'm gonna check out that Martins place, thanks for dropping a name.

Hi Guys

I just bought the Dmp3, from Tom Lee music on Granville street in Vancouver.
I got it for $250 canadian plus tax.
And man this thing is a big step up from the Behringer.

Lee

Hey Doug.
Everyone offers their opinion, and I see a lot of the usual suspects come up: DMP3, VTB1, RNP, et al.

All probably very good pre's in their own right, but I don't have any of those, so I can not and will not comment on a piece of gear I don't own, and haven't used.

You didn't really give us a budget, except to say that you don't want to spend $800 on a pair of pres. I would take that to mean that your budget is <$400/channel.
I don't believe that $400/channel is going to put you into the "professional pre-amp" catagory. That's not to say that you can't obtain an excellent sound from a budget pre amp though.

You said you didn't want VU meters, or tubes. Well, I'm going to break both of those rules and give you a suggestion to look into the ART PRO MPA dual microphone pre-amp.
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ART210
Probably one of ART's top of the line pieces of gear. This unit is clean, when you want it to be, and pleasently tube-y when you want it to be.

I've used it on Grand Piano, Vocals, and guitars; all with refreshing results.

Something to look into before laying down your hard earned cash.

Back