I Retired Today...

Buck62

噛んでくれ
34 years with the Chicago Police Department... and I'm done.
My career spanned a long list of units and positions... Special Ops, SWAT, Narcotics, Tactical, Gun Teams, Academy instructor, Wagon man, Street cop, and most recently... Bureau of Counterterrorism, which is the unit I retired from. Now, I'm just sitting here with a Jack Daniel's Downhome Punch and chillin' while binging YouTube videos. Life is good!

I respect your courage - I think I could, should, and probably might ............. maybe. Retiring is now a state of mind! When it's better than working, that's the time - it's no longer really age is it?

Awesome, enjoy your retirement, you earned it. Been retired three years but seem to be as busy as when I worked full-time. More time to enjoy family and friends is never a bad thing.

An observation I made back when I was a tile contractor working in many middle class peoples homes.
I noticed that when folks retired and became couch potatoes they sure did seem to die off a lot faster than those that took retirement as a means to get out and enjoy life.
Some started little business's that they could manage on their terms. Some got into travel / golf whatever...Find purpose and you will hang around a good long time barring the fickle finger of fate. Sit on your ass, watch TV, drink some beer and do nothing and you may as well just bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.. least that's my observation on the topic of retirement. Me at 70 I guess I could say I have been semi retired for at least the last 5 years but there is no grass growing under my feet...I got shit going on in business, grand kids and music.. Shit howdy and Yee haw!

I subscribe to this saying from Hunter Thompson

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

My idea of what retirement should be for most people is not working under other people anymore. Monetize (or just not, just do) those side hustles or hobbies, in your case music? and have fun while you're at it. The former cops I know all say it was rough but worth every minute. Now you don't have to work anymore but keep those "faculties" primed.

Buck62, you can be proud of doing a thankless tough dangerous job, for so many years.
Enjoy your retirement, while youre still active.
My dad was a police officer for 30 years, and I was one too, before taking a different route.
You have to be into something in retirement to stay alive.

Welcome to the club. I’m retired over 15 years. I cringe now anytime I get caught in traffic and have no idea how I managed to commute in that nonsense all those years.

Enjoy the JD. I’ll be joining you with a glass of Johnny Walker Black in a couple of hours. Also be trying to get a drum track recorded for our latest song. Life is good. 👍🏼

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the well wishes and advice! I have about a dozen home improvement projects to start off my retirement, and I've got a band audition coming up in another week. I'm also going to get back into doing DJ work and Karaoke hosting this summer, like I did before Covid came along. But first I'm going to do a couple of road trips this Spring. My kids are grown and it's time to start living my life without restrictions... well, except for having less money. :P

34 years with the Chicago Police Department... and I'm done.
My career spanned a long list of units and positions... Special Ops, SWAT, Narcotics, Tactical, Gun Teams, Academy instructor, Wagon man, Street cop, and most recently... Bureau of Counterterrorism, which is the unit I retired from. Now, I'm just sitting here with a Jack Daniel's Downhome Punch and chillin' while binging YouTube videos. Life is good!
Watch out for YouTube - it may suck you in and make you forget about everything else!:LOL: Good for you on retirement - I gots to ask - How jaded are you?

Congrats. They told me I would get bored. Still waiting.
:-) I'm bored this morning. It's 23 degrees and there's snow on the grass, so that means the tee time was cancelled. I stayed in bed until 8:40 this morning, but that might be because I was sitting in a dimly lit room playing acoustic guitar and watching snowflakes when the clock ticked past midnight last night. We old folk need our sleep!

Back