I Retired Today...

Congratulations on your retirement, Buck. I have lot of friends in law enforcement, they are/were eligible for retirement after 20 years. If that was your case, good on you for sticking it out for an additional 14.

Relevant or not, Toby Keith has been in the news lately, you might say. Just throwing it out there, he wrote a song, I'll try not to flub the lyric. Goes seomthing like, Ask yourself how old you would be if you didn't know when you were born. Don't let the old man in." Keep moving. Sounds like you have some irons in the fire to keep you busy. Enjoy.[/I]

Watch out for YouTube - it may suck you in and make you forget about everything else!:LOL: Good for you on retirement - I gots to ask - How jaded are you?
I'm not too jaded, just more grounded in reality. I still think most people are decent and have good intentions. And yeah, YouTube is a Mofo as a time suck.
I do have a lot of things I'd like to do. Unfortunately, it all hinges on how well my recovery (physical therapy) goes on my spine, with two degenerative discs. I'd like to avoid surgery, but it's not easy having to take things slow due to direct pressure on the nerve.
Has anyone here had spinal fusion? That's what I'm looking at in the near future. 34 years of wearing all that heavy equipment has taken it's toll.

I hit the water awkwardly when diving off a top diving board, aged 22.
It compressed my lower spine.
Didn't make a fuss at the time. I thought just rest it, and see if it eases.
I know that I did permanent damage, but don't know exactly what.
If I exert my back too much it comes back to visit me, even today at 65.
If I'm kneeling and reach out for some object, with my spine supporting my uppeer body, it comes to get me, with a very sharp pain.
I have to constantly think about how I lift things, because when I go too far, I am like a cripple for at least 2 weeks, till it re-heals.
It can take a painfull 10 mins to get out of an armchair, and 20 mins to get out of bed, then holding on to furniture to get accross a room.
To me it feels like something is fused together, which will heal again till next time, and the nerve is responsible for the sharp pain.
Very similar to what you describe.
I get by, just have to think as I go.

Lower back, hip, ankles... medication allergies... Yep', I can totally relate, and I'm only 58.

I was forced to retire from a life of military service and construction work seven years ago due to disability... So, I moved back home to Alabama and bought a 60y/o "fixer-upper" in Decatur to die in lol.

The last time I bought framing lumber, wall studs were $1.20ea. Now they're $3.60. OSB and nails are also rediculous. Now USAA estimates it would cost $180,000 to rebuild this house, so my insurance has jumped up. Add the "across the board" inflation wrecking the economy to that equation and all the retirement math I did seven years ago has gone straight down the $h!tter!

Bidenomics has forced me to sit my fatass in front of my TV and do nothing but eat chicken, and write songs about how fukin' stupid he is! So, don't worry... I'm not going anywhere... I have NOTHING better to do and I'M NOT ABOUT TO STOP! 8-)

Bidenomics has forced me to sit my fatass in front of my TV and do nothing but eat chicken, and write songs about how fukin' stupid he is! So, don't worry... I'm not going anywhere... I have NOTHING better to do and I'M NOT ABOUT TO STOP! 8-)
GO BRANDON! It is not ALL his fault ...The Covid thing turned the supply chain thing upside down and we have not recovered...The building materials thing is a perfect example of it Lumber OMG! 1/2" OSB for $40 a sheet during the worst of it.... ridiculous. Oh well don't want to hijack Bucks Boogie so I won't go any deeper...Cost of living is killing us.

Oh yeah with regards to house insurance...You know you can tell them ( If you own your home outright) you don't want to carry that much insurance...just insure me for XYZ...

That's what we just did ...saves us around $500 a year still plenty enough for if the house burns down and I have to rebuild it...been paying house insurance for 40+ years and never made a claim...kind of lame. But just in case....We paid it off about 8 years ago...nice but living in LA LA land is expensive.

ENJOY! You earned it.

I'm from NY. Lived almost 35 years on Long Island. But, spent most of my time in NYC. Then lived in NJ with most nights in NYC. We drove across country to go to Mt Rushmore years ago. We were on some thruway that passed Chicago. There wasn't even a consideration of getting off and seeing the town. I've heard great things about Chicago, and some really awful things. From the news it seems like Chicago cares more for the criminals than the cops.

:-) I'm bored this morning. It's 23 degrees and there's snow on the grass, so that means the tee time was cancelled. I stayed in bed until 8:40 this morning, but that might be because I was sitting in a dimly lit room playing acoustic guitar and watching snowflakes when the clock ticked past midnight last night. We old folk need our sleep!
I sleep about four hours, up for about two, then another two hours and then up for the day. Sometimes I even have spaghetti for breakfast. Life is good. The best part is I have everything I need and there isn't anything I "want" or want to do. There is plenty around here that I have to do and that keeps me busy and exercising.

Last edited:
ENJOY! You earned it.

I'm from NY. Lived almost 35 years on Long Island. But, spent most of my time in NYC. Then lived in NJ with most nights in NYC. We drove across country to go to Mt Rushmore years ago. We were on some thruway that passed Chicago. There wasn't even a consideration of getting off and seeing the town. I've heard great things about Chicago, and some really awful things. From the news it seems like Chicago cares more for the criminals than the cops.
Chicago is like any other big city, there are areas that are nice, and there are areas that you don't want to be. I've heard the same about NY and NJ. I used to go up to the western suburbs, Countryside and LaGrange, know people in Naperville and downtown on the lake front. I worked with a lot of folks from Chicago. They could tell you about some great places. The South Side isn't the place you want to be.

That's true in any city these days. When you pull up a crime map, there's always a few areas where 90% of the markers sit.

I am doing way more manual labor now that I am retired than I ever did at work. I had to wait to retire to shovel horseshit and chickenshti. I don't have them but the old barn is full. I have been shoveling it out and dumping it in the garden. Cutting up, splitting, moving, burning, raking that huge tree I had taken down is killing the muscles in my upper back. Digging the trench for the electric in the studio and drilling through the basement wall. Moving all my equipment by myself. Them old keyboards be heavy. Doing hot water heaters twice! I know the pain will go away and the show must go on. Isn't retirement grand! On lighter note, the Jaguar is stained and I have to pick out a pick guard.

Back