I realy am a homerecer

Fed

I figured I had to post something before there is doubt.. :D

This is my wifes song she wrote for us. We do this one alot at weddings... (surprise surprise)...

honestly this was one night thing... and I could only get one take out my better half... I just can't get her excited about this recording thing... any comments are appriciated... specialy thoughts on arrangement.. what other instruments would be cool if any...

wedding song

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1742&alid=-1

thanks

Thats nice Fed.Songs like this hit me in the heart.Especially singing about Jesus.....makes this hard hearted dude wanna cry.

I think it's fine just like it is with the piano and guitar.The harmonies are great.

Ok,time for a tissue.

Thats beautiful fed.

Beautiful arrangement, and all the more cool that it sustains for 5:09. Voices intertwined very nicely, music was dynamic along with the vocals, a perfect marriage so to speak.
Don't think you really need any other instruments.
This is a beautiful song, you both are excellent singers, and the music is excellent.
Don't change anything, just...

Turn up the vocals! :D

Mark

Nice song....nice arrangement. The guitar and piano balance well.
I like the harmonies and the back and forth with the two parts.
Mkg was right that it keeps you attention for what's a pretty long time.

beautiful tune.. Nice to finally hear your stuff.. I like it just the way it is..

Although it's a little too dark for my tastes.. :eek:

great job Fed! :D

now since it's probably going to be another 300 posts before I get another one up there I'm going to thank everyone individualy...

Kramer, I also like it the way it is but always thougt maybe some violin or celo line would be cool.

mkg, i guess you are kidding about vocals, they were realy hard to control, I got to read up on compression and see if I can smooth it out more. I actualy automated levels to bring the vocals down at the end but it's still to "hot" at some places.

Lt.Bob, glad you got to the end, too bad there is no sax part for us to colab on.

Sam, I promise, next one will have gitars with distortion :)
I hope you got throu the whole thing. Now doesn't this song makes you want to be nice and stop swearing at people and stop stiring up s...tuff in the clinique... :D

Thanks guys for the listen, the mp3 thing realy degraded this for me but you get the idea.

cheers

Flash you posted while I was typing.
thanks for the listen man. does the song makes you want to get remaried...? :D
cheers

She has a nice set of pipes. You ain't too shabby yourself. Great job on the recording too. I'm with Sami though, it's a bit dark for my tastes:D :cool:

Very nicely done. I think the violin/cello idea is perfect for this one. I can hear it now as I listen.

Very nice. Reminds me of an Allison Krause/Vince Gill collaboration. I'm only listening in headphones, but it sounds like the voices need a touch more presence. Whether that's done by placing the guitar back a bit (which incidentally sounds clear and full) or an eq or reverb thing on the vocs, I'm not sure.
Good job.

Wow - pretty song. Beautiful instrumentation and wonderful melody and harmonies. Liked the intertwined vocals - pretty touch. I loved it. You both have nice voices.

I don't think I'd do anything else with the instruments. The only thing I might consider is have a two or three part harmony on certain part of your wife's part during the first section of the song. For example, at 1:06 (first occurence of "For better for worse...") you could introduce a harmony. You could even do it earlier. The hard part may be getting your wife to do it. Only a thought...

Nice song.

P.S., I think Sam should do "Busiest Graveyard" at weddings too...

Wearing a tux.

Track Rat, thanks, I also think she is a great singer and musician.
I know the tune is "dark" but it fits well at a wedding... :D

twist, ye I would like to be able to write arangements for violins and such ... but luck the nesessary education and skill... mabe DavidK will chime in with some sujestions...

ChuckU, totaly agree on the presence thing, I got to try more EQ cutting on the guitars. Also I think even with my limited expirience I figured that my mxl2003 doesn't fit her voice very well. I liked sm57 much better, it's fuller and more present on her voice. I actualy have a take with a 57 but it's just too much poping on it.

TripleM, good thinking, my wife also mentioned doing a little more with the harmonies... but it was too late that night... I was glad I got her to do this much... :) ... I have not listened to "graveyard" song yet... :) I have a feeling it might be way too sappy for a wedding ... :D

Thanks guys for the listen, suggestiones and compliments.

cheers

Fed, I was only halfway kidding about vocals... both your voices are so good, I wanted to really hear them...
But tongue was sort of in cheek also, you know I always shout about vocals.
Such a beautiful song, congratulations to both of you on your work.

Mark

PERHAPS YOU DIDN'T READ IT...

Am I the only one who is absolutely stunned, amazed, dumfounded, and, yes, I'll say it...JUST A WEE BIT JEALOUS that your wife's vocal was done in

ONE TAKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?ONE TAKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?ONE TAKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?ONE TAKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?ONE TAKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?ONE TAKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?ONE TAKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Beautiful. If ya'll don't love each other as much as you obviously did when this song was written...send her to Texas.

(Oh yeah, it's definitely NOT country...it's much better).

:D
-chris

Oh yeah...

I forgot to mention that I listened to "Your Word Is True;" very nice...simple arrangement...I love simple 2 part harmonies too. More beautiful work.

Forgive me if this is just super common knowledge around here, but I'm detecting a slight Danish or Finnish or Dutch or, hell, some Euro-Scandinavial-ish type accent. Are you from Canada?

(hehehe...seriously, I'd like to know where you're residing)...

hehehe...canada...selfish, selfish blue bearish canadians with their crappy speakers that they never loan out to their U.S. neighbors.

(IGNORE ME...nice song(s)...really)

Outstanding Fed! This is a very nice song and your voices sound great. Performance is top notch. Did you write this song? It should be a part of every wedding player's repretoire.
I have no suggestions as this sounds much better than anything I could ever do myself. I do have a few questions though :)

1 How'd you mic that piano? Please don't tell me it's not a real piano. Anyway, it sounds perfect to me.
2. How'd you mic the guitar? See comments from #1, except I know that one is real.
3. Why don't you post more music? You're obviously a very talented musician that we all can learn from.

Thanks for the post. My wife is going to love this one! Better than bringing home a dozen roses.

chrisharris,
speaking for myself, i was maybe less stunned cause i know the level he's capable of from his last post. Fed is a very talented musician.

Mark, to me the vocal was a little low in the beginning and a little to much when we're both singing and at the end. I'm not sure yet how to make this more smooth, so far vocal tracks have some level automation on it.

Chris,
like I said we play this song offten enough (maybe once in 2 month he.. he...) so we know it pretty well. there is actualy at least one pretty sour note in her take and my harmonies weren't that tight (maybe I'm just overly critical). But yea she is good ... :) you should see her come up with harmonies on the spot and them do them in one take... now that is impressive :D and no she ain't moving to Texas any time soon :D though we'd love to visit.

"your word is true" was my first post here... I just got my LD mic and the "itch" to record was unberable (still is) :D, glad you liked it. We live in Rochester, NY now but the accent (and bad spelling) you hear comes from behind the "Iron Curtain" :D

erichenryus, thanks for the compliment, that can get mans head pretty big... :) My wife wrote the song and she is playing the ....

keyboard ... :) very bad one too... it's old Roland RD305... don't ask ... I'm in need of a good 88key/weighted controller...
the sound however comes from GigaStudio GigaPiano. 128kbs mp3 realy degraded the sound to my ears. It sounds much better uncompressed.
2) the guitar is two tracks first I played with mxl2003 pointed at 14th fret angled a little towards the soundhole about 6-8 inches from the neck, second track almost same position, not angled, but with shure SM81.
I wanted to try stereo micing but I only have one mic stand and one good mic cord.. :D the guitar is Taylor 615 which is maple jumbo.
3) belive me I would like nothing more (accept maybe for JC to come back sooner :D ) but to record more... and we got tonnes...
but... there's ... 13yr old,2y old,7month-not-yet-born old, work,church,pool,house.... you get the picture... :D

if you interested here is another tune ... also my wifes... NOT FINISHED... I was sitting on this for sometime now... it's different then this one on many levels :D

or at 256kbs

if you have any questions, post away I'd be glad to answer.

I don't know if you guys expect such detailed answers but I appreciate all your comments and dialog/discussion of the song and recording as it helps me to see bigger picture.

cheers

very pretty tune... nice mix.. thought the vocals could be a little louder in the very beginning... it seemed fine after the first phrase or so, but at first her level seemed just a tad low... I dunno.. maybe my ears just adjusted to it.. :p

and I was so right... :p while I was listening (and reading the posts) I detected an accent and guessed "Russian"... :p You can hear it in your voice a little more than your wife's, but it shows up in her parts too...

oh.. crap.. I'm only supposed to post smileys....

:o :( :cool: ;) :D :p

WATYF

Back