i need help pleaseee!!!!!! everyone

jr714oc

:confused: i need to get a mic for my homestudio...i had one but it sounded nasty ....can anyone please help me what mic to get one that sounds good like a pro and stuff.......can anyone help please....

jr714oc said:
:confused: i need to get a mic for my homestudio...i had one but it sounded nasty ....can anyone please help me what mic to get one that sounds good like a pro and stuff.......can anyone help please....
What kind of price range are you looking to stay in? Inexpensive, but decent quality starting point might be a Shure SM58, I think mine was around $100. If you want to spend a bit more, a good condensor mic would probably be better. I have an Audio Technica AT 4040, and it works well for me. You will also need some sort of pre-amp. I don't know what you have for a home studio, but some recorders have built in pre-amps. Some soundcards do also. If you get a condensor mic, it will require phantom power.
These are all things to consider.
Ed

jr714oc said:
First of all - "pro sound" doesn't come from gear, it comes from experience and knowing how to use the gear you have to its best advantage.

I guarantee that even if you had a $2 million studio at your disposal, without recording skills, you wouldn't sound any more "pro" than you do now....

In any case, there are many budget oriented (but very usable!) mics of all types available now - just check at your local retailer.

Blue Bear Sound said:
I guarantee that even if you had a $2 million studio at your disposal, without recording skills, you wouldn't sound any more "pro" than you do now....

That really depends on how bad your studio is now. A chimpanzee could do a better job recording something with that $2 million studio than I could ever hope to achieve if all I owned were the monaural built-in mic on a $20 microcassette recorder. :D

Get yourself a mic that doesn't totally suck, make sure you have a preamp and audio interface that don't totally suck. Anything $50 and up is probably a starter mic. Once you're there, if the sound sucks (hiss and/or hum notwithstanding), equipment probably isn't the problem. It sounds like the original poster isn't there yet, though---or anywhere close....

Good starter mics:
1. SM58
2. Pretty much any low-impedence Shure Unisphere mic.
3. Studio Projects B1 (about $100), or so I'm told.

Half-assed starter mics:
1. PG58 (too dull, IMHO; spend the extra $$ for an SM58, please)
2. AKG D2300S (a little bright, but makes a decent tom mic)

Under $100USD Suggestions:
1)MXL 603
2)SM57
3)SM58
4)Studio Projects B1
5)Oktava MK319

$100USD - $300USD Suggestions:
1)Oktava MC012
2)Audio Technica 4033
3)Beyer Soundstar X1N

Back