I have 3 songs I would like for EVERYONE to come listen to,.. thanx! PLease?!?

WATYF said:
just lay off the melodrama a little, eh? :D

WATYF
:p
Humble's a better way to go around here.

Your playing's fine and I don't think they have to be redone although I agree with WATYF that there are some timing issues. But the guitar playing is nice for sure. I like that style of playing and with some vocals these songs could be happening. Relax a bit and just be glad the bear didn't get hold of you. :D

Track 1 :

Mix is good. The snare is compressed a tad too much for my tastes, but I understand. I sometimes like to compress them too, but nobody else wouldn't like it then :) Other than that, the drums are great. The main guitars have a good crunch. Maybe a little too loud, or perhaps too much mids. The song travels nicely, and there's some great playing and power in this track. Maybe this song seems so great because of the mix, but I'm not complaining or anything. Could use some vocals, though (I should talk :) )

Something New :

The compressed snare works better in this song, or maybe I just got used to it. This song is also good, and sound like needs vocals like the previous one too. Not necessarily that MUCH vocals, but little bit.

Remember the Future :

Song title is an oxymoron kinda like Maiden's "Remember Tomorrow", but that doesn't really have anything to do with the song. Oops, I just wasted this space talking about nonsense :) Anyway, the mix is great again (of course). I like the guitar tone. It doesn't always have to be a traditional heavy-metal tone for me. I'm not even sure that would have worked here anyway. Good song and a GREAT mix. The melody is a little sad, in an uplifting way somehow. I really dig this.

So... I guess you'd have a reason to have some pride, but don't let it get to you too much. :D

Wow, this thread is one of the most passionate threads I have read at my short time here at the forum. When I first read it, I was like "who is this guy?" because I have never seen anyone be so egotistical in my life, but then reading that it was all a stunt, I thought "well, that is kind of rock and roll I guess"

Anyway, I have just listened to Remember The Future. Not a bad tune, but needs some lyrics or vocals over it. I thought you did a good job at the mix and the playing was good, but I didn't care for the drum sound. There are a lot of people here that can tell you just what is bad about it (I think WATYF did a good job of that) so I won't go into detail. I think a better drum sound and vocals and you may have something here.

Something New -- I didn't like this one as much as Remember the Future. There were a few syncopation problems with the time. I thought the guitar playing was good. Again, some lyrics would probably make this a better tune, and maybe re-recording the drums with a different kit and better time (hell, you may need to re-record the entire thing because of the timing issues, unless you meant it to be that way) I thought the actual mix was well done. I also liked when the strings came in right around 3:20 or so.

Track 1 -- Nice guitar playing. I liked the drums better in this one then the previous two. They seem to fit a little nicer here, but I still don't care for the snare sound itself -- IMO -- Some lyrics again would be cool -- have you written any to these tunes yet? Not a bad tune.

Overall I would say that your music is good and I like what you do with your mixes. Maybe some better drumming and drum sounds, and some vocals will definitely help.

I thought your messages on NWR were pretty funny regarding your fans, etc.

Anyway, just my measly little $.02

Rock On!

Wow, this thread is one of the most passionate threads I have read at my short time here at the forum. When I first read it, I was like "who is this guy?" because I have never seen anyone be so egotistical in my life, but then reading that it was all a stunt, I thought "well, that is kind of rock and roll I guess"

Anyway, I have just listened to Remember The Future. Not a bad tune, but needs some lyrics or vocals over it. I thought you did a good job at the mix and the playing was good, but I didn't care for the drum sound. There are a lot of people here that can tell you just what is bad about it (I think WATYF did a good job of that) so I won't go into detail. I think a better drum sound and vocals and you may have something here.

Something New -- I didn't like this one as much as Remember the Future. There were a few syncopation problems with the time. I thought the guitar playing was good. Again, some lyrics would probably make this a better tune, and maybe re-recording the drums with a different kit and better time (hell, you may need to re-record the entire thing because of the timing issues, unless you meant it to be that way) I thought the actual mix was well done. I also liked when the strings came in right around 3:20 or so.

Track 1 -- Nice guitar playing. I liked the drums better in this one then the previous two. They seem to fit a little nicer here, but I still don't care for the snare sound itself -- IMO -- Some lyrics again would be cool -- have you written any to these tunes yet? Not a bad tune.

Overall I would say that your music is good and I like what you do with your mixes. Maybe some better drumming and drum sounds, and some vocals will definitely help.

Rock On!

Rock On!

Just came back home for a few minutes. Thought I'd say.
Thanx for the replies.

Sorry for the little stunt I pulled. But before I posted this thread, people helped me realize that when it comes to music, and trying to get anyone to listen to it out in the real world. You have to sound desperate, and BE desperate. Meaning do or say anything just for that first strand of words. Once people know who you are, and know what you're all about, then your ideas start to build up. I felt that these demos and this thread would be forgotten about if I didn't try DESPERATELY to try to listen to something they have no idea even existed.
Now, I'm not the kind of guy to think my stuff is the greatest. I just try to give it my best shot, and get a perspective on how the mixes are to the "REAL" people out there. Then I know where to start for the remixes. This post might have had some "harsh" threads, but at least you guys helped me hear ALL THE PROBLEMS my mixes had. And I guess that's actually what I really wanted. So the purpose of this thread did us all good i guess.

Now that you guys might actually know me alittle bit better, I'd be more than happy to listen to your songs too! Remember, I'm another desperate musican like some of you guys ;)
I plan on doing remixes for the next few weeks (if i have time after work) and I am getting mixed feelings as to whether or not they will be listened to the next time. Lol, I'll gladly understand if not.
I really do appreciate the comments.
Well, gotta run back to work. (work'n 7 days a week now)

~mike~

Bro........you still don't quite understand. The folks here listen to everyone's songs. That's part of why we come here. We are not desperate musicians. We're just having fun and we've found a place to come share that fun. You don't have to plead or worry about finding a way to get anyone to listen. Just put them up and I guaruntee that they'll be listened to.
Also, you didn't get particularly harsh responses. But at this BBS it is assumed that anyone posting a song is open to being critiqued. That means people will point out every little thing they like or don't like about a song or mix. Take it with a grain of salt, it doesn't mean that they are necassarily right......it's just their opinion but you can learn a lot if you are willing 'cause there are hundreds of years of experience floating around here and some fine folks willing to share with others.
This is an extremely active BBS and it wasn't unusual that you got so many listens so quick. That's how it is here. This is a terrific site and we all are here for that reason. As for listening to our tunes.......do so if you're interested, that's why we post them but don't think that anyone here is sitting and hoping maybe someone will listen. If you post it here.........it gets listened to quick.......and critiqued, so welcome to the board and look around at the many other threads here so you get a better idea of what we're about. The only thing I wish was different here is if they would have the yearly jam session and party closer to me so I could come and meet everyone in person.

You have pretty nice chops, my friend. Stick around. You'll get the hang of this place.

Mother may I...?

Hey guitar MJ,
may I please put some vocals on the "Something New"
submission?I have a good idea and I think the song is killer.With your permission of course,I'd like to add a little vox.Please reply soon...
WISC

Is it ok to come in now? :D

I listened to all three songs. I won't repeat the music critiques you've been given because I think they're on target. The only thing I'd add is that I think a lot of the lead guitars are a bit harsh in the mid ranges (actually I think someone pointed that out).

You have terrific guitar skills. However I think the songs need some tune and lyrics to go with them. It's great to listen to a blisteringly fast guitarist, but difficult to do it for a long period of time.

W.I.S.C., by all means give the vocals a shot. I like your idea.
I am defanately interested to hear the cut when you dub it over.
Thanx alot for the reply. Keep me up to date.

TripleM, thanx for your reply. I am working on new remixes with better mids, and much less compression. I will probably upload everything when I am alittle more satisfied with the results (which may never happen with my stuff, but I'll still give it another try)

MJ,
I will forego all the comments about this particular thread...
I listened to the songs. They were all decent, but the snare drum bugged me on all 3 songs. I would like to hear a deeper sound, less "pingy." My favorite was Track 1.

leahkim

leahkim , the snare has defanately gotta go. I use soundfonts for my drums, I wish I could use a real kit instead of that pingy snare I'm stuck with. It seems like the snare is drowning out too much other instruments, it just has a sound that doesn't belong. I don't know what else to do from here................ :-/

There are a number of programs out there that should be able to convert .wav samples into .sf2 samples. Try downloading some free snare samples from the net (there are a few sites out there) and see if you can insert those into your soundfont in place of the snare you have. I believe Creative has a free program called Vienna that lets you edit soundfonts, though it's been a while since I've tried to use it myself. I bought a sample set called Discrete Drums and it's worked great for me; the downfall is it comes with preset patterns, and isn't really set up for individual hits (although they include samples of individual hits for modifying the patterns that come with it).

I guess I've decided since I'm not a drummer, i'm going to leave the drums completely alone, and let a drummer decide what to do from now on. Any mistakes I made on the drumming tracks are because 1: I'm not a drummer 2: I"m playing the drum tracks with my 'FINGERS' on a little keyboard, not on real drums with the real feel. 3: I get really bugged out when I'm recording drums tracks on a cheezy little keyboard and not a real drumset

My question is, well, being that I am a "guitarist", do my demos help demonstrate my guitar playing for the songs? in other words, for future reference I want to show these demos as a demo of my guitar playing. I hope they do a good enough job for that, then again, maybe i should just record demos of "ONLY" guitar playing lol

For the rest of the critiqing from anyone, I would like to hear only judements on guitar i guess, I really don't feel like continuing with the rest of the stuff I put in my mixes.
I'm a guitarist, Please let me know if these demos are a good representation of my guitar playing, that's all these demos are meant to be (maybe it will help my find my next band, or maybe not)

I should probably post better mixes. They're far from what I'm working on now. But gotta start somewhere

what levels do you suggest i change?

(this is the stuff i'm lookin for. you guys have really helped me out)

Back