I bought a Mac to avoid frustration!

Kjv1993

Busking a Subway Near You
But it didn't work, cause Im frustrated as ever!
Bought a older G5, running 10.5. Sweet deal, very powerful for the software of it's day.
Then, after doing LOTS OF RESEARCH (not kidding) I bought an old M-box paired with Pro Tools 6.1 on eBay.
I install 6.1, all is good, until I try to run PT. OSX crashes:mad:
Then after doing a little searching on forums, I find out that 6.1 is only compatible with OSX 10.4.9 and older. HOW DID I MISS THIS BEFORE :cursing:!
So I either need to update to PT 7 or downgrade my lovely mac.
Since the later is a lot cheaper, Ill be doing that as soon as I find a 10.4 disk on Craigslist.
So instead of chilling tonight and recording some BS, Im calling everyone on Craigslist with a mac running 10.4 to see if theyll sell the disk separate.

I guess this thread is just my venting, cause I know what my problem is. Am I a total moron for missing this incompatibility, or is it possibly easy to miss?

That's the one thing that a lot of people that are new to macs will get into. If you upgrade OSX or are running an older version of something you have to make sure they are compatible.

Now you know though and your all the wiser to it.

i have Mac and PC...still prefer PC

never have any problems with anything perceived problematic...stable, cheap, powerful...

I bought Logic 9 when I bought it, never really switched it on :(

You might be better off upgrading PT rather than downgrading the Mac. Is the G5 you bought an actual G5 processor, or is it an Intel machine? Some of the early Intel Macs were still called G5's. If it is an Intel you really might consider updating it to OS 10.6 or 10.7 and getting PT9.

The OS crashes? As in a kernel panic? Could you post the panic log? Should be in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter on 10.5.

Also, make sure you're running the most recent 10.5 software update.

Its a PPC G5, and its running 10.5 which to my knowlege is the latest OS supported. And yeah sonicalbert, I am thinking about upgrading PT instead since it will only be about 50$ more in the land of eBay. But Im just not sure if 10.4/ PT 6 will be more stable then 10.5/ PT 7, especially considering Ill be using the original Mbox. But the error report its giving every time I attempt to start a new project says something like: System needs restarted, hold down power button.

Your biggest problem is you bought an antique.
PPC is dead as a dodo and nothing from here on out will support it.
(Not slamming the platform..I had from the original 128k Mac to OS9 and will be switching back again soon...)

As long as you're happy with everything you have right now it's fine, but PPC will be a huge wall for you.

This is true. PPC is out. No updates etc.
Not necessarily slow or bad, but out of date support wise.

Like Tim says, if you can get it working now, and you're happy with that, then there's no problem.

It might be worth asking around. Some people who've upgraded to pt9 might happily give away a PT7 license code.

When I upgraded to PT9, my old codes were still listed in my account.

I would have given you them but i threw them in with an mbox sale a while ago.

I was fully aware that the PPC systems were dead end. I personally hate all this constant update crap, and Im trying to avoid it. I just want something that is stable with enough power to do what I want. Thats why I invested into the older systems. Everything I plan on doing in the next few years can be handled fine on the G5. Ill be happy once I get it running, but for now its a pain.

and going off of what Steenamaroo said, if anyone has PT 7 codes or even the whole package laying around useless, Id be happy to send you some money via paypal for them

Yeah, I understand. That's fair enough.

Ask around. I still think you could get a PT7 license for next to nothing.

If you're stuck, I see original mboxs on ebay all the time going for cheap with pt7 included.

I actually found one on eBay for 50, it is PT 7 with ignition pack 2 brand new with codes. The listing ended without a hit so I emailed him to see about a second chance offer. But if you really think I could get a code on here cheap Ill hold off, but Im not sure where I would get the actual program.
And I think I wanna call PT and double check cause I want to be 110% sure that: Pro Tools 7.x will work completely fine on OSX 10.5 with the original Mbox. I dont wanna get screwed again haha.

I actually found one on eBay for 50, it is PT 7 with ignition pack 2 brand new with codes. The listing ended without a hit so I emailed him to see about a second chance offer. But if you really think I could get a code on here cheap Ill hold off, but Im not sure where I would get the actual program.
And I think I wanna call PT and double check cause I want to be 110% sure that: Pro Tools 7.x will work completely fine on OSX 10.5 with the original Mbox. I dont wanna get screwed again haha.

If he's selling pt7 codes and ignition pack codes the discs should be included right. Are they not?

The program itself can be downloaded from avid's website. I'm not 100% if you need a user account or not to access that or not, but if shit hits fan I could post you a disc.

Original mbox, PT7 and osx 10.5 will be fine together.

Back