Hunger Strike cover

uncle sixer

This is my guitar and bass with programmed drums. My buddy sent some vocal stems. His main vocals were good but a little pitchy. I ran them through reaper's reatune plugin set on auto mode. His "BU vox" were muddy-sounding to me so I let them go, he tried the high Chris Cornell parts, too, but they didn't come across too well (he just doesn't have the range). So I did a Chris Cornell guitar track.

I am pretty happy with the overall mix/production, but unsure bout the main vox level... is it right or should it come down 1-2 db? Then when the high guitar part comes in, I am having trouble balancing the two melodies. Is the guitar level good? I panned them L/R like 25% to try to "separate" them a little, but maybe I need to get into the eq and give them complementary cuts and boosts?

Also, the left melody is reverbed more on the right and right melody is reverbed more on the left... not sure if that is helping or hurting or indifferent at this point.

Thanks for any ideas.

I think this is where I am happy. Basically, I brought down the vox reverb and echo a touch from my first upload, then I saw may friend's vox track was heavy at like 500 and 2k Hz, so I bumped the lead guitar at about 1k and 4k. One other change was sidechaining some compression on his vox triggered by the lead guitar so that some of his long, sustained notes duck out of the was a couple dB. I think it works now, but still open for any thoughts. "Final" mix below...

Last edited:
Not familiar with the song, but generally a pretty good production. Guitars sound very good. There might be a tad too much reverb on the vox for my taste (but my taste tends toward dry vocals.) Bass is a little lacking on the ear buds I’m listening on. All in all though nice job.

Is this a Pearl Jam or STP song? Singer puts me in mind of those singers.

Is this a Pearl Jam or STP song? Singer puts me in mind of those singers.
Eddie Vedder along with Chris Cornell... the band was a mash-up of early 90s grunge rockers called themselves Temple of the Dog (guys from Pearl Jam and Soundgarden). The song was written by Cornell, but apparently when Eddie joined him was when the magic started.

Back