Humidity and Plywood Guitars

Fusioninspace

This is just a follow-up to Light's excellent post.

My first guitar (which I still have) is a $50 laminated top Yamaha classical guitar. It has essentially NEVER been stored in a case for the last 40 years. It hasn't suffered any ill-effects.

So based on my experience with that cheap student guitar, I made the dumb mistake of just letting my solid top Seagull acoustic sit out for the winter. Yep, it bowed and cracked. I got it fixed and it's fine now. But it was a lesson learned.

Solid wood top = take care of it!

Plywood/laminate (any guitar elec/acoustic) = feel free to abuse and ignore (within reason)

Overall, I would also be careful about any kind of rapid temp change as it relates to both the fit and finish of ALL instruments (laminates included).

On the same topic - I have a laminate 50 dollar steel string that I keep in the garage (the only place I'm allowed to smoke in). The thing is indestructible. I guess cheapo guitars have their benefits.

But yeah, get those soap-dishes into your hardcases - you know it makes sense.

This is just a follow-up to Light's excellent post.

My first guitar (which I still have) is a $50 laminated top Yamaha classical guitar. It has essentially NEVER been stored in a case for the last 40 years. It hasn't suffered any ill-effects.

So based on my experience with that cheap student guitar, I made the dumb mistake of just letting my solid top Seagull acoustic sit out for the winter. Yep, it bowed and cracked. I got it fixed and it's fine now. But it was a lesson learned.

Solid wood top = take care of it!

Plywood/laminate (any guitar elec/acoustic) = feel free to abuse and ignore (within reason)

Overall, I would also be careful about any kind of rapid temp change as it relates to both the fit and finish of ALL instruments (laminates included).

Your still likely to get fret ends poking out, but if you don't mind that than go for it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

That's funny. I never noticed fret ends sticking out until I was an adult. I wonder if:

1. The cheap guitars have their frets cut short so they never will poke out, or,
2. I just wasn't paying attention cause I didn't know any better.

I'll let you know in January :p

Back