HRC: flat-9 stark raving naked

flat-9

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1
JacKerouac

No effects, no EQ, no CEP ( except for multi tracking from the MR-8, NO MIX!!!!( -12db experiment ) Conceived, written, arranged & recorded on 5/19. Not copyrighted, grab it if you want it. LOL

God Sluice, there's so much headroom I wanna puke. Also, sounds like I'm in a box ............I hate not using my toys!

I hope my avantegard side doesn't scare anyone. My wife HATES IT, but puts up with me so I can maintain my sanity....er....insanity?:confused:

Yes.....I'm crazy, but remember...........I can write a mean elevator tune , too!

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1
JacKerouac

Hahaha, I'm sorry but I fail to see how the whole "dry" recording thing puts you at any sort of disadvantage. Maybe the more experienced will argue semantics of advanced mixing, but what I did was just turn up my monitors and it sounded just like a Ralph tune and a good one at that.

Man I don't understand why your wife wouldn't appreciate the more snappy stuff I liked this one better than Red White and Blue but then again I imagine this wouldn't go as well with dinner.

I dig the tune (the bass line is outstanding). What are you using here? The hammond sound it particular (I'm very curious as I just picked up a vintage Leslie 147:D ).

Im not familiar with this genre but it seems to be very well recorded....im not sure what its supposed to sound like so its hard to tell what effect being naked had on it.....thats some slammin work on the keys, i must say.....

sounds to me like it could be marketed as an intro to a sitcom or something...its real jingle-ly...dont know if thats good or bad.......

This one sounds good dry, since its kind of angular to begin with. Man, you are indeed a player. I really dig your hammond work a bunch. I checked out the Red, White &B3 tune as well. I too would like to know what you are using. It sounds like you have the Procol Harum settings going, and I LOVE that sound!

ahhh, a little Leary days Berkely in the Boston, or Boston in the berkely.

I enjoyed this a lot Ralph, there s all kinds of impressive stuff down in there, lots of rewinding to catch more riffs happening. I bet if you printed the complete score for this it would look like an alien communication with some earthling script mixed in. :)

tracking and mixing down without toys is like going to a carrot eating contest without your teeth in. Its damned good exercise :D :cool:

I appreciate you fella.

Last edited:
Khomphy

Thanks man., but really, besides the -12db which will be added more or less as I EQ, add amplitude and effects .....it is quite limited in spectrum.

AM Talk Radio or good conversation during dinner only. I have a hard time listening to good music @ all without the analytical part of my brain kicking in.......I can't chew gum and walk @ the same time so my family used to think I was ignoring them. Dialogue used to be quite strange. ( eg: Honey, did you
G7sus4 pick up sixteenths in the bass my clothes at nice horns the cleaners drummer sucks yesterday?:rolleyes:

thanks again!

Track Rat

Korg Bx-3 Patch, all the rest is Roland U or JV series synth. Could your 147 could be the one my band dropped out of the U-haul on I-89 Vermont years back? Naaaaah, ( I buried it in my back yard):eek:

Gidge

It would have to be a pretty twisted sitcom....maybe something like Gilligan & Peewee do The Man Show! And thanks about the slammin keys & esp the jingle-y comment as it proves you can still play melodically w/o a tonal center!:D

crawdad

Thanks Al! Its a Korg BX-3 patch that I'm still tweaking with...but I miss my rotors slow corale to full chorus spin. Maybe I'll dig up my Leslie from the back yard and rebuild it:D Naaaaah, I'm to lazy to lug it around.

Man would I love to jam w/ you and Steve live! What fun we would have! hmmmmm..hey, ya never know bro.;)

Toki987 said:
ahhh, a little Leary days Berkely in the Boston, or Boston in the berkely.
I enjoyed this a lot Ralph, there s all kinds of impressive stuff down in there, lots of rewinding to catch more riffs happening.

I bet if you printed the complete score for this it would look like an alien communication with some earthling script mixed in. :)
I appreciate you fella.

Sorry Ken,

We simul-posted! ( was it as good for you as it was for me?):p

ROFL on the score comment. Had to send this along!

Attachments

• jackerouac.jpg
    jackerouac.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 150
Llarion said:
Oh, now this one is fun!!! Goofy and bombastic! Very well done!!! Great B3 work!!!

Cool post! Llarion, you hit the nail on the head....it is meant to be exactly as you put it....lots of fun, real goofy.. and blatantly bombastic!!

Excellent interpretation dude!:D
Ralph

You, me and Steve--indeed. Get Guernica on bass and erichenryus on drums...it would be too much fun. We'd certainly have to travel a lot of miles but it would be a blast!

YOU twisted genious!:DI love it man!You are a magnificant player ralph.Sounds great dry.......love the organ work.

5 Stars!

Holy Sweet Mother Of Judus In a VAN down by the RIVER!!

Okay...here's "the league", over here.

LEAGUE -------------------------------> RALPH

There's you Waaaaay over here, lmao.

As I'm about to prove, I'm WOEFULLY ignorant with respect to all things electronic, but whatever the hell you got that acoustic bass sound with, I want....I NEED "THAT." The overall level of the mix was, as you know, low on the meters, which just means I had to turn it up...no biggie...it was actually cool because it has room to breathe this way...like the really low stuff; I love HEARING that in mixes (B.SABBATH does some of it), but I'm scared to death to let a mix go out the door that way usually...

oh yeah, my first listen was on headphones, and it was actually more fun that way, lol.

You're a freaking MONSTER...I can barely HEAR that fast, let alone play anything that fast. Gave it about 10 runs...it's honestly not the kind of stuff I listen to a lot, so I don't dare get all "mixwise" on you...besides, you don't need help, lol. Reserve that for me.

flat-9 said:
Yes.....I'm crazy, but remember...........I can write a mean elevator tune , too!

Love it, hysterically funny (if I'm allowed to laugh ;) )

Sounds exactly like a mean elevator tune to me...:D :D :D

Imagine: 35 floors, elevator stops on each floor, very important exciting job meeting and THIS PLAYING ON THE ELEVATOR SPEAKERS!!!. :eek:

GET ME OUT OF HERE! ARGH!

:D

haha...very nice man. It's got a great hook, and would rotate very nicely on any major radio station.

Some of what I just said is bullshit, but I personally dug this a lot. This is kinda what Massachussettes would probably do to me too. :)

Those were some slick licks... Good job!

By the way, I'm a pretty big Kerouac fan. Ever read Desolation Angels? Good stuff...though On The Road is an obvious classic too.

Back