HR Members guitar design and build thread

What sort of Walnut and any specific use for it?
I'm not really aware of the different types of walnut but I have a plaque I made out of walnut and inlaid some mother of pearl in it for a gift to my mom many years ago and it has an awesome looking grain to it. Not like maple at all ........ more long patterns stretching out.
Very figured.

As for use ...... well ..... being a neanderthal I can only think of pretty woods in terms of the top.

OK how about Australian lacewood (Cardwellia Sublimis) for the caps on the wings. A specimen with really large flaking would be perfect for a surf guitar.

Attachments

• Lacewood.jpg
    Lacewood.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 52
OK how about Australian lacewood (Cardwellia Sublimis) for the caps on the wings. A specimen with really large flaking would be perfect for a surf guitar.

Better for me would be London Plane cut on the quarter which is Lacewood. Similar and fairly readily available here.. Not sure how it would look on a top though as it is VERY busy on the eye... Not my favorite but easily doable if we can fins some..

I've been looking at the last design I drew and I believe the lower bout should be a bit wider. What does the committee think?

Better for me would be London Plane cut on the quarter which is Lacewood. Similar and fairly readily available here.. Not sure how it would look on a top though as it is VERY busy on the eye... Not my favorite but easily doable if we can fins some..
We have a closely related species here that we call sycamore. The lumber is very similar. Australian lacewood is very different from ours.

What do you think of this?
shark1.jpg

I know that hardware, and electronics are still future decisions, but I pictured it with a strat pickup at the neck, and a jazzmaster pickup at the hardtail bridge. The cutaway is inspired by a shark fin. The body is 16" x 12 3/4

I like th design.

If I were doing it the curve inside the cutaway would be more rounded. I might also look for ways to migrate it further away from the classic Telecaster shape.

So, lets pull this back on track. Seeing as how we have had no more real ideas to persue. We go with milnoque and the last surf guitar.

Is it going to be chambered or solid?

What woods do we want to use?

What do you think of this?
shark1.jpg

I know that hardware, and electronics are still future decisions, but I pictured it with a strat pickup at the neck, and a jazzmaster pickup at the hardtail bridge. The cutaway is inspired by a shark fin. The body is 16" x 12 3/4

That looks like a tele to me with different hardware to standard.

Back