how would you describe this mixing style?

antonp

i've long been a fan of dan carey (speedy wunderground) and his style of mixing. what are some key elements you think make up of this mixing style? i'm especially fond of how well the vocals come out among the instruments and the seemingly consistent percussion tone in all of the mixes

Mixes will sound different from engineer to engineer. Yes, every audio engineer has their own style and particular sound. Some can be bright, some can accentuate the bass frequencies more. But I don’t think styles of mixes have names like openings in chess.

I'm not sure that the general public even know what a mix engineer does - attributing everything to the band. I think I'd be hard pressed to tell you who mixed my favourite music. If you want to be famous, be in the band, sort of.

I've never heard of Dan Carey - so, I googled. Wiki revealed just 4 artistes I'd heard of. That's the trouble, you can be famous but only within genres.

When I was younger, almost every tape had a mixed by MACK. Even back then I was aware. Somebody was in control. Tending the light at the end of that tunnel.

On the songs/albums that I have, if I didn't know who actually mixed them, I would never know. Neither do I care. I don't think in terms of a mix style. A song is a song is a song. A recording of that song is simply something that has to make sense to me.

We all get to choose what we do. I've been a performer and a behind the scenes guy. When I am dressed in black, trying NOT to be noticed, I actually find it cringeworthy when the people on stage call my name out and everybody looks my way and claps. I want to remain anonymous. The cheers and clapping is for the performers. If a name says to me, you did really well, come for a drink - and this happened for the first time with one 'name' this year (after a drink free, and shouting plenty) period on and off since 1984! He has never, ever been nice. I don't expect it, and the drink offer was a shock and not really me. Standing on a stage thanking the lighting and sound people, the tour manager, the follow spot folk, and the wonderful house crew is unnecessary. Entertainment is like magic - don't give the trick away. Seeing a 'name' stop a guy and ask what they did, and then being thanked is what we do our jobs for. I like walking out of stage door and feeling the 'name' shudder when all they wanted was a quiet drink, but seeing a horde of selfie demanding autograph hunters. Me, you get a look, then they turn away - exactly as I like it.

Do people even know now who produced or mixed their music? It may well have been on an album cover, or CD artwork, but who reads metadata?

Sometimes it's just sincere appreciation for helping someone put on a great show. I know a few people who are like that.

On the other hand, if you watch the credits from old movies, it usually lasted about a minute. Now the credits take 10 minutes to scroll by, and everyone from the main star to the person that served coffee to the key grip's assistant gets listed. At some point, it gets a bit ridiculous.

On the other hand, if you watch the credits from old movies, it usually lasted about a minute. Now the credits take 10 minutes to scroll by, and everyone from the main star to the person that served coffee to the key grip's assistant gets listed. At some point, it gets a bit ridiculous.
I don't think it's such a bad thing that the midwives at the hospital that the person who served coffee to the keygrip was born in get a credit though. That's kind of nice.

Back