How to transfer tascam 424 audio to logic pro on laptop

tapejake345

im having alot of trouble with transferring my tracks on my 4 track to logic. I have a focusrite 2i2 and tried connecting rca cables in the back of the tascam to the back of the interface with 1/4 jack cables and then pressing record on logic and play on the tascam but i get nothin. i tried different combinations/ turning the switch. and also tried putting a 1/4 cable into the headphone jack on the tascam into the headphone jack on my laptop, still nothing. all of this is so frustrating, can anyone help?

The rear connectors are outputs (for studio monitors). You need to connect your cables to the front inputs of the 2i2.
so connect the rca to the back of tascam then to the interface with the 1/4 cable in the front of the interface ? the instrument input and headphone input? im trying that but im still getting nothing

Not the headphone input, the line inputs of the combo connectors on the front. Don't select the INST option. You'll probably need to turn the gain knobs up about halfway. The rings around the gain knobs should be blinking green when the level is about right. If you get this far and still have no audio in Logic, it's a setting in Logic that's the problem.

Also, make sure you're connecting to the main Left/Right output of the Tascam, not an input.

1650563504668.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 1.58.01 PM.pngmine actually looks like this. but hey i think i just figured it out. so what i did was i plugged in 1/4 cable from headphone port on the tascam to the instrument input (input2) and adjusted levels, thne played the tape and hit record on logic and it worked. Im able to transfer individual tracks to by just using the tape cue, putting the volume all the way down for other tracks when i want to transfer a certain track into logic. if that makes sense.

Okay, that's a Solo, not a 2i2. It's probably not the best option for what you're trying to do. If you transfer one track at a time you're likely to get enough drift (speed variation) that the different tracks won't line up from beginning to end.

I happen to have a 424 and a Scarlett 6i6, which allows me to transfer all four tracks in one pass, so they stay perfectly synced up. I got the 6i6 specifically for this purpose.

Okay, that's a Solo, not a 2i2. It's probably not the best option for what you're trying to do. If you transfer one track at a time you're likely to get enough drift (speed variation) that the different tracks won't line up from beginning to end.

I happen to have a 424 and a Scarlett 6i6, which allows me to transfer all four tracks in one pass, so they stay perfectly synced up. I got the 6i6 specifically for this purpose.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC204HD--behringer-u-phoria-umc204hd-usb-audio-interface
would this work? its a bit cheaper than the 6i6. i have a budget. But it seems to have 4 line outputs. that would work right?

The 204 is not what you need. You don't want 4 line outputs, you need 4 INPUTS. That would be the UMC404HD which is a step up from the 204 you referenced. $169 at Sweetwater.

That M-Audio interface seems to have the right features. In a way it's better than the 6i6 because it has four of the same inputs, while the 6i6 has two mic/line inputs with gain control and two fixed gain line inputs. But I worry that it's a bit cheap, and I'm reading that the driver situation for Windows 10 might be a problem (which shouldn't effect Apple OS machines). I think I'd pass on that one.

That might work. You need to find out if your MacOS version is supported. The M-Audio website says OS X10.7.5 or 10.8 (Lion or Mountain Lion). Those are pretty old versions You're looking at a 10 year old interface. Someone with a Mac might be able to give you better info.

Unless you can find someone who can verify compatibility, you're taking a chance just to go cheap.

Back