How To Set-Up Individual Headphone Mixes

Nick The Man

Well this is something I haven't quite figured out, and I'm not quite sure if its possible when using a computer, but maybe you guys would know how to do it.

First, heres my set-up:

32 channel mixer 8 bus > Interface > Computer > SONAR

I also have a Behringer headphone amp

Lets set-up a senario: I have a four person band playing all with individual headphones. While tracking, the guitar player requests more bass in his headphones and the drummer wants less bass, how in the world would I be able to control that? Theres gotta be a way, I always see these products that allow individual headphone mixes but, I can't figure it out.

You can probably make a headphone mix with your mixer or even with the monitoring section of your software but everyone will likely hear the same mix. The only way to get a unique mix for each man is to use some sort of monitor mixer.

Here is one that is fairly inexpensive. You can run 4 different tracks into it plus a stereo playback, and then set level for each track (source) in each headphone independently.

Hope this helps.

Thats funny I was actually just checking that out while I was on the can with the latest sweetwater catolag. Maybe I'll look into that, it's not too expensive, but I have to figure out how much usage I will get out of it.

Thanks!

Thats funny I was actually just checking that out while I was on the can with the latest sweetwater catolag. Maybe I'll look into that, it's not too expensive, but I have to figure out how much usage I will get out of it.

Thanks!

Ah, a little too much information on that last post. (damn, you stunk up the whole forum room.) :D

Let us know if you get one and if you like it.

i've been looking for a way to do this too.

here's what i came up with. i have yet to try this.

every musican needs a small compact mixer with inserts on each channel.

the main mixer has direct outs that go to the interface.
the drums will be submixed to a seperate channel for monitoring purposes only. then i will use the track inserts of the main mixer as monitor outs with the one-click method to ensure that the signal stays in the main mixer. we are three musicians (bass, vocals/guitar, drums).

i'll send the guitar, vocals, bass and submixed drums (that makes four differnt signals) to the line ins of the compact mixer of the singer/guitarist. this will be the monitor mixer for the singer/guitarist. the next band member gets the same four signals via the inserts of the first compact mixer and so on.

this way each band member can make his very own monitor mix for live recording situations or even band practices.

someone please tell me that this isn't bullshit and that it might work.

i've been looking for a way to do this too.

here's what i came up with. i have yet to try this.

every musican needs a small compact mixer with inserts on each channel.

the main mixer has direct outs that go to the interface.
the drums will be submixed to a seperate channel for monitoring purposes only. then i will use the track inserts of the main mixer as monitor outs with the one-click method to ensure that the signal stays in the main mixer. we are three musicians (bass, vocals/guitar, drums).

i'll send the guitar, vocals, bass and submixed drums (that makes four differnt signals) to the line ins of the compact mixer of the singer/guitarist. this will be the monitor mixer for the singer/guitarist. the next band member gets the same four signals via the inserts of the first compact mixer and so on.

this way each band member can make his very own monitor mix for live recording situations or even band practices.

someone please tell me that this isn't bullshit and that it might work.

You can do it all with one mixer if it has Aux Sends. Each aux can be a different mix.

Yeah I was thinking about doing it this way, I have 8 AUX channels.

Note you'll probably have to run the signal via a headphone amp first, cuz a headphone cable doens't have enough rings on it. This is what i experienced.... i may be wrong tho

That makes two of us.

What i mean is, your headphones will only get half a stereo signal, either the left or right signal. This is because, i think, there are not enough rings on the heaphones. i'm probably wrong tho, all i know is i plugged some headphones into an aux send, and got half a signal.

What i mean is, your headphones will only get half a stereo signal, either the left or right signal. This is because, i think, there are not enough rings on the heaphones. i'm probably wrong tho, all i know is i plugged some headphones into an aux send, and got half a signal.

Yes, aux sends are mono. You need to run each aux channel into your headphone amp. That will put it in each ear for you. It is needed to boost the volume anyway.

Yes, aux sends are mono. You need to run each aux channel into your headphone amp. That will put it in each ear for you. It is needed to boost the volume anyway.

I WAS RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING!!! WHOOHOO!!! lol. first time i've actually been pretty clsoe to the target

Maybe I'm missing something (usually the case), but my headphone amp only has two ins... so wouldn't that be the same as just using the main outs. I guess with the auxes i could control volumes without effecting the mix.. but I wouldn's be able to provide individual mixes to the headphones.

Shit, I actually have the HA4700 which has more options, but that is not one of them. Damn... even If i had the H8000 how would I hook it up?

You can do it with the 4700.

The aux sends can tap signal off of the mixer channel without interrupting anything else going on in the channel. You just run a 1/4" cable from the AUX 1 out on your mixer to AUX IN (of channel 1) on the front of your 4700. Then press the ST/2-CH switch down. This turns a single mono input into dual mono for both ears. Next you turn up the AUX 1 knob (on mixer) on which ever channels you want to hear. Presto! Private mix for the 4700 channel number 1.

EDIT: You need to turn up the master aux send knobs also. And if the aux is post fader then the channel fader must also be up.

Use a different AUX send for each man/headphone.

Back