How to Organize my Room/Studio

nickd123

I have a smallish room, and it needs to function as both a room and a studio. Here's an image. The room is 11' x 11' approximately.

The magenta is the door
The teal is the window
The grey is the closet
The yellow is my bookshelf
The green is my endtable
The red is my bed
The blue is my desk (w/ a small round corner unit)

Those are in my room for sure. I need to know how to organize it better for recording. I will have a small mixer on my desk, but the other gear will not be in there all the time. How can I organize the room to optimize it for recording with groups?

Thanks,
nickd123

Attachments

• room.JPG
    room.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 291
nickd123 said:
The magenta is the door
The teal is the window
The grey is the closet
The yellow is my bookshelf
The green is my endtable
The red is my bed
The blue is my desk (w/ a small round corner unit)
Gees' for a moment there I thought you were going for the whole 'tasteful color combos' thing.
:rolleyes:

I'm still no help... have to look up what the hell 'teal is. :D

it doesn't look bad, in my near nothingness opinion,
assuming your stuff is on the blue desk, centered at the wall?
assuming you have the EE triangle going.

the wall with the bed you could throw on some of the bass traps *Ethan Winer HR style. Maybe the entire wall.

corner trap and more and more traps will help. I kept adding until I couldn't hear a change anymor and got onto other things.

on the book case, mixing the book sizes and vertical&horizontal can help.

no windows?

I don't know on the desk wall?
most commercial studios have a glass window there. most HR's don't.

just a copper pennys worth.

Thanks for the help. Anymore advice? I was thinking of getting a loft bed, putting my mixing stuff under that, and recording out in the open area.

god damn you're young. There's not much you can do to the arranging to make it work better. Possibly move your desk with all your gear on it between the corner thing and your bed if it would fit, and put the dresser right next to your window. It'd be better for mixing. Other than that, I've got nothing. Just add bass traps and such. Good luck!

Im just curious....when you say recording with groups, are you trying to fit a band in there? My studio room is like 12'x12' and its all I could do to get my drums in there.

I will be recording drums separately in another place, but I'd like to be able to fit like maybe 2 guitars, a bass and a vocalist in there.

It looks fine I think, just grab some stools, I track in a pretty small space too (I'm 15 so I get what space I can) just make sure you've got a fan for in between takes.

-jeffrey

nickd123 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what would the fan be for?
It does this fast fluttery chorus like thing to the whole room.

Probly' just means it gets hot in there. :D

nickd123 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what would the fan be for?

Well you are in Colorado Springs (damn I miss that place) so maybe opening a window would due, but I know in my space (In a state with no snow on the ground) it gets blistering hot (but it is cut off from any airflow)

good luck.

-jeffrey

Back