How to get an awesome sounding recording

I got to be honest and say I love Jeff Beck's playing. Not enough to have ever bought any of his albums, but I do love his style. I think he's a lot more tasteful than wankers like Vai and all those 80's Eddie off-spring.
Since we're being honest here, I admit that I own Wired and Blow By Blow! LOL! :guitar:

No doubt those people are influential, but to me that was bad punk. Banshees one of the greatest ever? No way. We're gonna have to just disagree on that one.

We can always agree that metal sucks.
I suppose it's just that I'm a fan and don't actually see them as Punk at all - aside from their very early performance at the 100 Club with Sid Vicious on drums! Anybody from the scene could pick up guitars and call themselves a band! I did a Siouxsie and the Banshees cover last year. I'll post it in the MP3 clinic, see if I can change your mind! ;)

Metal does indeed suck.

I suppose it's just that I'm a fan and don't actually see them as Punk at all - aside from their very early performance at the 100 Club with Sid Vicious on drums! Anybody from the scene could pick up guitars and call themselves a band! I did a Siouxsie and the Banshees cover last year. I'll post it in the MP3 clinic, see if I can change your mind! ;)

Metal does indeed suck.

I do like that "Carcass" song from their early days. Great lyrics. Good hook.

I'll check your cover later on.

Honestly, I think punk is just as much wankery as the shredding guitar stuff is. It's just a different kind. "I'm gonna act all pissed and apathetic and strum my barre chords with all downstrokes and be really energetic and all!" It's all the same bullshit; they're just coming at it from the opposite angle. One wants to impress with with their technique, and the other wants to impress with their "anti-technique." One style is not "better" than the other; they can all be pretty silly when you think about it.

They're both posers. The only real difference is that one has spent more time in the woodshed. And that's not a loaded comment. I really do mean it in a matter of fact way. I do like some guitarists at times that are considered shredders, and I like some music that's more on the punk side -- although I don't listen to a whole bunch of either of those.

Honestly, I think punk is just as much wankery as the shredding guitar stuff is. It's just a different kind. "I'm gonna act all pissed and apathetic and strum my barre chords with all downstrokes and be really energetic and all!" It's all the same bullshit; they're just coming at it from the opposite angle. One wants to impress with with their technique, and the other wants to impress with their "anti-technique." One style is not "better" than the other; they can all be pretty silly when you think about it.

They're both posers.
There's a lot of truth in that. One of the things that has made me chuckle since around 1981 is finding out from the words of British and before them, American 'punks' themselves some of who they liked and were influenced by. On the USA side, the usual suspects {Beatles, Stones, Who, Dylan, acid, arty~fartiness......}, on the Brit side, prog, glam rock {T Rex, Bowie, Roxy.....}.
Many generations, even if they like what they were brought up with, need to break out and create their own take on things that currently exist. Jazz, all of post~1962 rock, glam and punk are great examples of that, hence
What British Punk bands (the ones that mattered) did, was to try to break out of the Rhythm 'n' Blues Pub Rock (American influenced) straitjacket that had British music utterly stifled at the time. The earlier bands did it by seemingly taking a backwards step into less structured, possibly more naïve and simple playing which rapidly became a platform for more original and avant-garde bands to build upon. The Uk experienced a musical revolution as a result, the US far less so. It's one of those situations where earlier restrictive ideas have to be torn down in order for something different and new to grow in its place.

Not every lamb chop tastes the same.
Things are not always as straightforward as they seem.
They're usually a lot more nuanced.......

Honestly, I think punk is just as much wankery as the shredding guitar stuff is.

I will admit that there is some punk that is downright annoying...but only the real extreme, silly hardcore.

Otherwise, as much as I'm a guitar player who likes good lead lines, who doesn't mind jamming/noodling some days, and I can listen to a variety of lead guitar playing....I still can't listen to stuff like Vai does (not just him, there are many other), or that extreme shredding stuff for more than a couple of minutes....but there's a LOT of great punk I can listen to all day long.

Good punk has that energy, that primal drive that is very infectious and makes you want to tap your foot, and get moving.
Great shredding....is just a lot of over-the-top technical wanking, and only other shred wankers can listen to it all day long. :p
I can appreciate the skill set...but it's just not interesting to listen to for any amount of time....at least for me.

In a nutshell....for me it comes down to a melodic vibe, which there's all kinds of great guitar playing has....or stuff with more rhythmic vibe, which a lot of punk offers.
The shred stuff doesn't offer either....or at least not in the way that I like melody and rhythms.

Like with Beck.....there's times when I love to listen to him play, when he is doing more melodic/rhythmic stuff, and then when he starts to just go all "technique" and turns the guitar into more of a synth-like instruments....meh.....

I will admit that there is some punk that is downright annoying...but only the real extreme, silly hardcore.

Otherwise, as much as I'm a guitar player who likes good lead lines, who doesn't mind jamming/noodling some days, and I can listen to a variety of lead guitar playing....I still can't listen to stuff like Vai does (not just him, there are many other), or that extreme shredding stuff for more than a couple of minutes....but there's a LOT of great punk I can listen to all day long.

Good punk has that energy, that primal drive that is very infectious and makes you want to tap your foot, and get moving.
Great shredding....is just a lot of over-the-top technical wanking, and only other shred wankers can listen to it all day long. :p
I can appreciate the skill set...but it's just not interesting to listen to for any amount of time....at least for me.

In a nutshell....for me it comes down to a melodic vibe, which there's all kinds of great guitar playing has....or stuff with more rhythmic vibe, which a lot of punk offers.
The shred stuff doesn't offer either....or at least not in the way that I like melody and rhythms.

Like with Beck.....there's times when I love to listen to him play, when he is doing more melodic/rhythmic stuff, and then when he starts to just go all "technique" and turns the guitar into more of a synth-like instruments....meh.....

I kind of see it the same way with punk: it's very one-dimensional, like shredding is. Punk is all just BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH HEY! BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH OY! It's the most one-dimensional music I can think of, to be honest. And that's why it gets boring to me quickly. There's just about zero depth to it. If you're in the mood for it, it's great, but it's about as much of a one-trick pony as there is. And it ain't that great of a trick, IMO.

There are punk bands that just do that... BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH HEY! BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH OY...but man, there's other flavors/sub-genres of punk that don't. Just off the top of my head...the Clash were not like that.

The point about most punk, is it always has a rhythmic drive that won't put you to sleep, like a lot of shredding can. ;)

It's all down to personal tastes anyway. One man's garbage is another man's dinner. :D

I kind of see it the same way with punk: it's very one-dimensional, like shredding is. Punk is all just BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH HEY! BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH OY! It's the most one-dimensional music I can think of, to be honest. And that's why it gets boring to me quickly. There's just about zero depth to it. If you're in the mood for it, it's great, but it's about as much of a one-trick pony as there is. And it ain't that great of a trick, IMO.

Musically ignorant people like you is exactly why punk exists, so thanks for that. :)

Musically ignorant people like you is exactly why punk exists, so thanks for that. :)

LOL .... how is that exactly? Why does punk exist because of musically ignorant people?

Ohhhhhhhh I see. Musically ignorant people play punk. Yes, that makes sense. You're right!

Lighten up Greg, for Pete's sake.

LOL .... how is that exactly? Why does punk exist because of musically ignorant people?

Ohhhhhhhh I see. Musically ignorant people play punk. Yes, that makes sense. You're right!

Lighten up Greg, for Pete's sake.

Lol. Awwww, look at this guy! :laughings:

It sure didn't take much to get you to show your ass.

It's cool dude. Punk aint for everyone. Some fuckers just don't get it.

Exactly ... it's a fucking opinion. Don't get bent out of shape about it.

Punk's not gonna save the world, but you go ahead and dig the shit out of it as much as you want. Just don't get your panties in a wad when someone else doesn't.

Exactly ... it's a fucking opinion. Don't get bent out of shape about it.

Punk's not gonna save the world, but you go ahead and dig the shit out of it as much as you want. Just don't get your panties in a wad when someone else doesn't.

Are you drunk or something? I called you musically ignorant and you responded with even more idiocy. If anyone's panties are in a wad, it's obviously yours. I don't care that you don't like punk. I actually prefer it that people like you don't like the stuff that I like. But when you say stupid things, I'm gonna point it out. I'm not picking on you specifically for being clueless and ignorant, but you said it. It could have been anyone. It just happened to be you this time.

Are you drunk or something? I called you musically ignorant and you responded with even more idiocy. If anyone's panties are in a wad, it's obviously yours. I don't care that you don't like punk. I actually prefer it that people like you don't like the stuff that I like. But when you say stupid things, I'm gonna point it out. I'm not picking on you specifically for being clueless and ignorant, but you said it. It could have been anyone. It just happened to be you this time.

And what if I am drunk? That's the punk way, isn't it? Viva la punk! :)

As I got older it becames less about the guitaring and way way way more about the song, and now it's completely about the song.
Listening to so many different kinds of music, I'm left to conclude that there are simply different kinds of songs. There are some where the rest of the music exists purely to be a platform on which the lead instrument does it's thing. Or there are those where leads are almost irrelevant or an afterthought or predictably 'there.'
Either way, I don't care if there's shredding and complexity or simpler, less structured elements. I either like a song or I don't. I take it apart and analyse it after I like it !
I much prefer short instrumental passages that go somewhere else to solos.
I can't say I prefer either. I do love those instrumental passages though.
I don't like it when lead guitar is the only focus of the song, or even the whole band. Like Van Halen. If it weren't for Eddie, no one would know that band exists. He is the draw, and why? Guitar wankery. Yuck.
Funny that, I've never seen Van Halen that way. I like the way Eddie, his brother and Michael Anthony on bass came together in riffing and DLR's weird voice and lyrics. "Women & children first" still stands as a great LP but the lead guitar is only one part of a bigger puzzle there. I think their backing vocals were as much a part of the songs there as the lead guitar.

Always liked Siouxsie and the Banshees...though I never quite saw them as "punk".
Don't tell Siouxsie that......
They branched away from '76/'77 punk eventually, but to start with, they were.

Since we're being honest here, I admit that I own Wired and Blow By Blow! LOL! :guitar:
"Wired" is an interesting album. It's interesting for a number of reasons, not least the songwriting of the drummer Narada Michael Walden and Jan Hammer the keyboardist's performance on drums on one track. Actually, all the members of the band write for the album.......except Jeff Beck.
But none of the tracks are about the guitar alone although Beck does fly all over the neck. But in jazz flavoured stuff, lots of players do that without the song necessarily being about them. The songs on this album, though very mid 70s jazz rock, are very hummable. Mind you, to me, lots of bass parts and drum patterns are hummable !

Back