how to build a sound proof door?

djgc

Im at the process of building my own studio and I want some advice on how to make a nice sound proof door. How can I make sure the door is properly sealed up when its closed?

The best way would be to have two doors that open away from each other, both weather stripped solid wood doors. If you can see light, it ain't airtight. If it ain't airtight, it ain't alright.

There is a big difference between soundproof (no sound gets out) to an acoustically treated room (room is treated for sound quality, not necessarily to keep all the sound in). Are you sure you want soundproof?

Supercreep, thx yes I was going to install 2 doors on each side. I was just wondering how to make it airtight especially the bottom part.

I know that there are some professional studio's that have the doors made by hanging them, (HEAVY DUTY HINGES REQUIRED) and then they fill the door with sand. But they end up weighing silly amounts, and Its VERY VERY hard to get right. But If you accurate as a handyman should be fine.

Supercreep, thx yes I was going to install 2 doors on each side. I was just wondering how to make it airtight especially the bottom part.

Cheap and dirty: You know those door draft sealers for winter....

077578056906.jpg

Even cheaper would be a tube of fabric or plastic filled with sand.

Attachments

• 077578056906.jpg
    077578056906.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,106
Back