How to add more outputs to my interface to use two sets of monitors

I wanted to ad another set of monitors to my set up and be able to switch between them back and forth to check my mixes. My interface only has two outputs (a left and right trs) and a headphone out. Looking for a cheap way to do this, hopefully without loosing quality, which would be pointless considering that the whole point of this is to reference for a better mix. Is there a box or splitter or something?

I tried the other Behringer product, the MONITOR2USB...Behringer MONITOR2USB | Sweetwater...which is also an active unit, and I didn't like it....returned it the next day.
The switching was weird...you had select/deselect/select rather than select/select between choices...and I also hated the sound of the headphone circuit.

I like the passive Mackie much more...though of course, it's just a 2 input/source switcher and nothing else.

Both seem great, the makie is cheaper and seems to be exactly what I need. Thanks. U know, I have a headphone splitter box, would that work? Or would the output be too low?

The Mackie is cheaper because it doesn't have a usb interface connection and the bells and whistles. I use the Mackie Big Knob myself and have no issue. The passive unit seems like exactly what you need.

Where are you using the headphone splitter box? What is it? Does it run from the line outs of your interface or from the headphone out or line outs? Does the unit have a thru innput/output?

Always make sure to include as much detail in regards to gear or setup as you can. The more the better. :)

That being said. Please tell everything in your chain.

I have a Behringer PowerPlay Pro8 that I use as a monitor controller and it works quite well except for the fact that the switches are all wonky.

The Mackie is cheaper because it doesn't have a usb interface connection and the bells and whistles. I use the Mackie Big Knob myself and have no issue. The passive unit seems like exactly what you need.

Where are you using the headphone splitter box? What is it? Does it run from the line outs of your interface or from the headphone out or line outs? Does the unit have a thru innput/output?

Always make sure to include as much detail in regards to gear or setup as you can. The more the better. :)

That being said. Please tell everything in your chain.

I haven't used the headphone splitter yet, it's not a pro device, it's actually from a public library... ( I got that, some retro headphones, a tape recorder etc in an auction) ... It doesn't have a power source, it basically has one hole for input and four holes for outputs and volume for each output... But it got me thinking if someone LIKE that would work for monitors....
As far as my chain goes: preamp /chanel strip to usb interface (2x2) it's pretty small, just has l&r trs outputs for my monitors and a headphone out (it's guitar rig sessions i/o)

Sigh...Details man. I can't find the specs for generic terms like 'preamp/channel strip, usb interface. You gotta give details man. Not asking for your soc number. Just give us 'exactly' what you are using.

Every product is different. Without specs for them we are just gazing at stars wondering what might be. lol

Presonus vxp vocal strip to native instruments sessions i/o usb interface, output from that is left and right trs cables going to one pair of krk rocket 8's

I haven't used the headphone splitter yet, it's not a pro device, it's actually from a public library... ( I got that, some retro headphones, a tape recorder etc in an auction) ... It doesn't have a power source, it basically has one hole for input and four holes for outputs and volume for each output... But it got me thinking if someone LIKE that would work for monitors....
i/o)

Yes, a bit but, if the feed to the monitors is balanced (as all proper signals should be!) the controls would be complicated because each pot would need to be a FOUR ganged logarithmic. You can get'em, dare say Alps is your best bet but pricey.

If the signals are unbalanced you just need a dual ganged log pot per stereo channel. The incoming signal goes to the 'top' of each pot and monitor feeds from each wiper and common. Could be a recipe for hum loops tho'but.

Personally, if you don't need an 'inter-monitor fade' I would just use a box of switches. You can get 4 pole changeover so you CAN stay balanced and select one or other pair or indeed both.

Wet Saturday ar'ternoon's DIY doddle.

Dave.

Back