How often do you use / come across 14" reels?

Bob Joneson

I'm in the process of restoring a Scully 284B-8 1" machine. Here's my question / dilemma....

The 284B transport supports reels up to 14" in diameter. Which is cool, but I do not have a cabinet that fits that size deck plate (would need to make one).

I have a spare deck plate and Russ Lang cabinet for a 280B (which supports 10.5" reels), I could mount the 1" transport parts on with minimal rework.

It seems ATR doesn't even sell new tape on 14" reels. Was this mainly a broadcast thing, or is it common to come across in the studio?

Thanks,

Bob

Not seeing the "dilemma"..?
Do you really feel you need the extra tape time of a 14" reel?

There are other decks that can fit 14" reels, but honestly, 10.5" are pretty much the standard.
The 14" reels might have been used in sessions where a single piece of music ran over the 15-16 minute (30ips) or 30-32 minute (15ips) tape time of the 10.5 reels, but that might only come up with classical or jazz pieces...otherwise the 10.5" reels are used in most cases.

I see the occasional 2" tape in 14" reels for sale...but I don't recall seeing many 1" tapes on 14" reels...
...point being, I wouldn't concern myself with 14" capability.

I am guessing that the 14" reel thing was for recording classical music where there were no gaps in the piece to change reels.

Alan.

Thanks for the responses guys. I only got into tape a few years ago (was a teenager in the ADAT era). I want this machine to live another 40 years, and just want to make sure I'm not painting myself in a corner.

I know most of the Studers supported 14", and didn't know how common it really was.

Still not 100% sure which direction I'm going to go, but it's good to hear some perspective regarding the reel sizes.

Much appreciated!

-Bob

14 inch was mostly used for video tape, and for live recording where the longer time meant less reel changes. I wouldn't bother with it.

I use them as often as i can. All my 2" machines support 14" reels. An album fits on one reel easily at 15ips.

Back