How much would you pay for a pair of matched MK012's?

ProJect

Hey,

I'm just trying to figure out if I got a good deal. I got a pair of MK012's on eBay last night. The final price was $182.50 plus shipping. I e-mailled the guy prior to bidding asking whether they were matched or not. He said they weren't factory matched, but "matched by the store" and he tested them at 0.082 dB difference. They also come with shockmounts that he said came with them. Is this a pretty good deal?

Connor

Doesnt make a difference if it is or not - you have entered into a contract. For future reference - many people on here got theirs for $50 a pop.

I know... no matter what, I'm gonna be getting them. I already sent out the money. I was just wondering whether I could've gotten them for cheaper. I know you can get them at GC, but the GC over here won't let me test them :(. Also, they won't accept returned mics :(. Also... they are all B stock. I think these Oktava's might've come from the Sound Room. They come with shockmounts and "custom cases". If I am correct, that's what comes with the Sound Room MK012's.

Connor

MC012's from The Sound Room do not come with shockmounts. I have seen this deal at GC, and no one at GC or anywhere else has been able to tell me who matched them or to what tolerances. Real matched pairs must meet rigorous tolerances both in terms of output and frequency response across the entire audio spectrum. My guess is that the mics have been broadly matched for output, and that frequency response never entered into the equation.
Did you get a good deal? That will depend on whether the mics are any good, and how well they meet your needs. Real matched pairs with cardioid capsules only are over $400. However, you may never hear the difference. I don't think anyone can answer your question any better than that without studying the mics.-Richie

Back