how many SM57's do you own?

dix0r

i know that there are a lot of people who own more than one, but would you ever need more than one at a time if you were doing each instrument separately?

and i'm a newbie, in case that wasn't obvious. plenty more questions like this coming soon :]

thanks,

-mike

I s'pose you could use them to mic in stereo, though I have other mics for that. And they could be used as an overhead AND a tom mic on your drums, or even as a pedal mic, though there are plenty of better choices.

I believe, in the killer mic thread, Harvey even recommended a pair of 57's for Leslie miking, plus a 421 for the bass rotor.

BTW, I have two, plus a 58.

i have two of the aforementioned 545's as well as two sm58s at my disposal.

combined with two sennheiser e835's, i've got plenty of options along a similar flavor.

as stated elsewhere around here, you can stick an sm57 in front of just about anything and get a "usable" sound......not a great sound, but you can use it. i like to have a few on hand just in case....

wade

dix0r
i know that there are a lot of people who own more than one, but would you ever need more than one at a time if you were doing each instrument separately?

well as mentioned you could use a bunch of them on a drumkit.. for example.. snare (top+bottom), rack-toms (maybe the floor tom, too?) - and you already have 4-5 in use :D

None. I dig LD Condensors.

Wanna get into SD Condensors (someday) too. After a plethora of other upgrades.:)

Would LOVE a matched pair of QTC-1's!

I have 4.

The most I've used lately is 3-on drums, but I could concieve of using more, [on drums]. But, if/when recording a band or live ensemble, as many as possible is not too many.

4 SM57s is enough for my needs, for the most part, but I'd get more if I got the notion.;)

One.

Am impressed with how well a SM57 (Or 545 series) will
sound with good placement, and/or EQing, on most vocals.

They are underestimated, partly because of the pre's used
with them, and if they listened to by themselves, outside a
mix. Same goes for the EV 635a omni BTW.

And occasionally...

You can get "great sound" out of one, even surpassing the
big boys like Neumann, Telefunken, etc.
(listen to a singer like Paul Rodgers sometime! :))

Chris

I have 4.

The most I've used lately is 3-on drums, but I could concieve of using more, [on drums]. But, if/when recording a band or live ensemble, as many as possible is not too many.

4 SM57s is enough for my needs, for the most part, but I'd get more if I got the notion, without thinking twice about it.;)

It's those damn XLR cables that give me fits, alway going faulty at the connectors! Cheap damn cables! ;)

None.....I use EV Neodimiums......I have 4 of those of various models.
The thing I don't like about 57s is that they only go up to about 15 or 16k. My EVs are supposed to go up to 19 or 20k depending on which model.

RE: SM57: I think it's how you drive it at the preamp stage, plus EQ,...

that makes all the difference. Plus mic placement, of course.

With attention to mic placement, some preamp drive and judicious use of EQ, I'm able to get a good, clear sound from a 57, without a problem.;)

It's my favorite and most-used mic, of choice.;)

... and you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers! :eek:

Last edited:
Back