How Many People Are Using Cassettes Here?

E5-B7-F89-C-881-A-4838-B854-8981-EE07-C2-FA.jpg

FWIW, I actually like buying CDs. I can rip them to put on a flash drive for the car, and on my server hard drive so I can listen while I'm sitting on the computer. I also have a 100 disc changer upstairs, and when I am doing housework, or taking a shower, I will crank one up. I have bought a few albums from download from people like Joe Bonnamassa, Gov't Mule, and a few others. Bonnamassa markets his albums on his website, and often has sales where you can get albums for lower prices. I also have some of his CDs.

I can't remember when I bought my last LP, probably around the mid 80s, and I only had about 3 or 4 prerecorded cassettes. All mine were dubs of records that my brother and I had.

One big problem with current vinyl sales is that they can't increase that much from their current level because there simply isn't the factory capacity at the moment. Some of my clients are planning vinyl releases for a years time while others have managed to get the waiting time down to about 4 months. There are too many people who want to press vinyl at the moment for the factories to be able to satisfy demand.

These were the boys back in the day Clam in the 80's. They were very expensive (around £5 each in 1984) when standard tapes were about 75p and CR02 around £1.50. In the 80's there was this whole thing of the compact home audio system of the in built radio tuner, amp and the twin cassette deck and CD. It was convenient for the user and cheap to build but not very good, although the Technics I still have is not that bad for home use.
There then emerged a company called Richer Sounds in the UK which promoted seperates on a budget. I think the ethos of the guy who ran the company was to try to say that... you can put a much better system together with seperate units rather than the all in one pre packaged units and for the same price. They are still going and offer very budget value seperates hi fi up to some good mid range higher priced stuff 👍

One big problem with current vinyl sales is that they can't increase that much from their current level because there simply isn't the factory capacity at the moment. Some of my clients are planning vinyl releases for a years time while others have managed to get the waiting time down to about 4 months. There are too many people who want to press vinyl at the moment for the factories to be able to satisfy demand.
Wont get into the debate too much James, and I realise vinyl reasurgence is a lot to do with fashion. I am sure the tech has improved a lot. It would be interesting to get a hold of a new pressing of an album and a modern turntable and compare how it sounds against my original 70s LPs and turntable. Page realeased "Remasters" on CD years ago where the original Zep tapes where digitally transferred by each individually part on the 16 track tape and then remastered. But hell man.... apart from it sounding a little cleaner, I have struggled to hear that much difference.

Interesting stuff indeed.

Thanks James 😉👍

I have replaced the stylus on both of my turntables from the spherical ones to the oval shaped. Bit more expensive but did a bit of research and the oval shaped get deeper into the grooves and provide a better lower frequency response.
I have read that the scratchy twin deck DJ's in the clubs stick to the spherical as the oval shreds their vinyl with all the abuse they get. But I am just a home user 😅.

Sorry, I know this is a tape thread so sorry for banging on about vinyl 😟

Trendy! Why who records on cassette... it was never a thing.. well not in England.. Why would you choose to record on cassette.?
In my opinion, a 4 track cassette recorder is still the quickest way to capture your song ideas and riffs down. I think of it as the perfect musical sketch pad.

There have been countless famous and very talented artists recording their demos and ideas on cassette since the 80s and some still carry on using 4 track cassette today for the same reason.

This song was just recently (this month) recorded using a 4-track cassette deck and homemade synths (created by my long time musical partner)
(please ignore the hiss, it is a cassette tape after all). ;)

This song was just recently (this month) recorded using a 4-track cassette deck and homemade synths (created by my long time musical partner)
Thanks for sharing the tune - some cool sounds.
I have to say, though, how/why is there so much hiss? I've used 4-tracks for years, and I don't think I could get this much hiss if I tried. Were y'all not using noise reduction and also printing very low levels or something? I don't get it.

Its not really my thing but very well done. Lot of early 80's groundbreaking influences in there. Early Ultravox, very early Human League, Georgio Morroder and the brilliant Kraftwerk.

So its not really my thing....

But really well done, nice one 🥰🥰👍👍

There are a couple of big factors that are pushing vinyl sales the past few years. The first one is Taylor Swift. She just sold 500,000 vinyl copies of her album Midnights in the first week. That beat out the previous biggie, Harry Styles' Harry's House which sold 182,000 vinyl copies in its debut. Taylor also has 4 versions of her record with different color vinyl and different covers. They are currently selling at $25 to $60. I guarantee that there are kids that have bought all 4 versions. The lady is a marketing genius. Of course anyone who can crash Ticketmaster must have something going for them.

Adele was one of 2021's biggie with over 300,000 copies sold. On the other hand, Neil Young's new album sold a paltry 4500 vinyl copies.

I guess we'll have to see what the next 5 years bring.

BTW, Taylor had 284million video and audio streams of Midnights in the first 3 days, just so we are comparing apples to apples.
Curious what her earnings are on those 284 million streams compared to vinyl sales.

Its not really my thing but very well done. Lot of early 80's groundbreaking influences in there. Early Ultravox, very early Human League, Georgio Morroder and the brilliant Kraftwerk.

So its not really my thing....

But really well done, nice one 🥰🥰👍👍
Also hearing a bit of Rammstein influence there in the vocal track?

Curious what her earnings are on those 284 million streams compared to vinyl sales.
I just go back to the point I was trying to make a while ago. I really do believe that big business promotes hardware versus download now as a retro fashion because with cassette and vinyl format they can now regain control of the music industry and profit. With dowload it was being taken out of their hands. Now with the the retro hardware they can take it back in conjunction with the producers of the machines.

If the streams were in North America or Europe her label would have earned nearly £1 million. The publisher would have earned over a quarter of a million pounds. How much the artist earns depends on how good their record deal is. Streams to Africa and Asia generally earn quite a bit less though.

I dont get it, she is a talentless bimbo who has been surrounded by movers and shakers
The new album, did she contribute anything? A complete airhead manipulated by the industry, devioid of any talent apart from a shitty little nasaly voice.

Oh dear Def Leppard, you were a fucking shite band. Hopeless 3rd rate crap band that was sent to the US with a good singer and a good producer.

I fucking hate Def Leppard and I fucking hate Mutt Lange!!!! It is shit horrible!
Just use everything you have in the studio, BANG BANG, no style, no finnesse, .
I despair

Back