How Many People Are Using Cassettes Here?

Actually, last year there was a slight uptick in CD and LP sales. Here's the figures for CD, LP and Cassette since 1976. You can see the trends pretty easily.
I have had my wings clipped here and eaten a lot of humble pie from more knowledgable and experienced people about my over enthusiastic Newbie posts. So I take the criticism on the chin and try to learn lessons, and I will not start new posts, but I will come back and reserve my right to make a comment or 2 😄😉👍👍

Wait, huh? You literally just said that cassette and vinyl increased in the past couple of years (cassettes by nearly 100% last year). How can that be a continual drop for the past 10 years?
It’s a common counter argument to spin the (very real) vinyl and tape resurgence to include the (digital) CD and lump them together as “physical media”.

So yeh if you include the *digital* physical media, “physical media” sales have been declining for a long time.

But if you’re actually looking at analog-format sales, they’ve literally been continually increasing every year (often exponentially) along with the CD decline.

What I don’t see noted in the numbers above is that CD sales actually increased for the first time in a long time last year, if I recall. Not sure I can explain that one.

It’s a common counter argument to spin the (very real) vinyl and tape resurgence to include the (digital) CD and lump them together as “physical media”.

So yeh if you include the *digital* physical media, “physical media” sales have been declining for a long time.

But if you’re actually looking at analog-format sales, they’ve literally been continually increasing every year (often exponentially) along with the CD decline.

What I don’t see noted in the numbers above is that CD sales actually increased for the first time in a long time last year, if I recall. Not sure I can explain that one.
I think perhaps, there are two points here...
The whole retro Vinyl and analogue cassette resurgeance has a lot to do with fashion and big business to try to resell hardware like turntables and cassette decks and LP's and cassette tapes.
With downloads, the artists were taking it into their own hands and big business was making less and less money. So by recreating the retro fashion, business can reintroduce the hardware and therefore make profit again.
This is seperate from home recording using DAW, 2 different things. Just what I believe, whether right or wrong.
😉👍

I think perhaps, there are two points here...
The whole retro Vinyl and analogue cassette resurgeance has a lot to do with fashion and big business to try to resell hardware like turntables and cassette decks and LP's and cassette tapes.
With downloads, the artists were taking it into their own hands and big business was making less and less money. So by recreating the retro fashion, business can reintroduce the hardware and therefore make profit again.
This is seperate from home recording using DAW, 2 different things. Just what I believe, whether right or wrong.
😉👍
But I DO like vinyl and analogue tape also as well as I appreciate DAW, nothing to do with fashion.

Let’s take the cassette hate to a new level.

I condemn live music. It’s even worse than cassette.

Musicians playing out of time, no snap to a grid, no playing to a click track, drummers drinking too much before the show causing timing discrepancies.

Sub par room acoustics that are ever changing from room to room. Lousy soundmen that aren’t even familiar with the band, or your music.
Guitar players that play too loud.
Singers singing off key......etc, etc.

So yeah live music is the most flawed format around.

Yet despite all of this, live shows are exciting. There’s a sort of electric energy in the air as you wait for the band to come on.
And then.......the band kicks off into the first tune. Glorious! (Unless the band sucks)

My point is music is music. There’s something magical about a song that resonates on a wavelength with your own.
It has the capacity to lift you up.

Format be damned!

When I’m listening to Voodoo Child, I don’t ever care if it’s on the radio, mp3, cassette, vinyl, Spotify, pandora, iTunes or reel to reel.

I just reach for the volume control and turn up Jimi!

Musicians playing out of time, no snap to a grid, no playing to a click track, drummers drinking too much before the show causing timing discrepancies.

Sub par room acoustics that are ever changing from room to room. Lousy soundmen that aren’t even familiar with the band, or your music.

Yet despite all of this, live shows are exciting. There’s a sort of electric energy in the air as you wait for the band to come on.
And then.......the band kicks off into the first tune. Glorious! (Unless the band sucks)

My point is music is music. There’s something magical about a song that resonates on a wavelength with your own.

Format be damned!

When I’m listening to Voodoo Child, I don’t ever care if it’s on the radio, mp3, cassette, vinyl, Spotify, pandora, iTunes or reel to reel.

You nailed it!

Reactions: RFR

Format be damned!

Ah man this is just so god dam tight man with Jimi playing with Buddy and Billy! Hear his lead work with those guys man is the best. Band of Gypsys so much brought out the best of his playing. Such a bummer he died before they got going 😟😟

Format be damned!

My hero Eddie Van Halen always said that Eric was his main influence. He later said "nah.. it was Jimi"

I think a lot of physical media sold these days is merch at live events, which people might not even intend to play. For example, you can still have Edison cylinders made if you want. Some bands are actually releasing new recordings on them. Will people actually play them? A few, but that's not the point. It's something to put on your shelf for display. I think most cassette, vinyl and CD releases are essentially the same thing.

There are a couple of big factors that are pushing vinyl sales the past few years. The first one is Taylor Swift. She just sold 500,000 vinyl copies of her album Midnights in the first week. That beat out the previous biggie, Harry Styles' Harry's House which sold 182,000 vinyl copies in its debut. Taylor also has 4 versions of her record with different color vinyl and different covers. They are currently selling at $25 to $60. I guarantee that there are kids that have bought all 4 versions. The lady is a marketing genius. Of course anyone who can crash Ticketmaster must have something going for them.

Adele was one of 2021's biggie with over 300,000 copies sold. On the other hand, Neil Young's new album sold a paltry 4500 vinyl copies.

I guess we'll have to see what the next 5 years bring.

BTW, Taylor had 284million video and audio streams of Midnights in the first 3 days, just so we are comparing apples to apples.

There are a couple of big factors that are pushing vinyl sales the past few years. The first one is Taylor Swift. She just sold 500,000 vinyl copies of her album Midnights in the first week. That beat out the previous biggie, Harry Styles' Harry's House which sold 182,000 vinyl copies in its debut. Taylor also has 4 versions of her record with different color vinyl and different covers. They are currently selling at $25 to $60. I guarantee that there are kids that have bought all 4 versions. The lady is a marketing genius. Of course anyone who can crash Ticketmaster must have something going for them.

Adele was one of 2021's biggie with over 300,000 copies sold. On the other hand, Neil Young's new album sold a paltry 4500 vinyl copies.

I guess we'll have to see what the next 5 years bring.

BTW, Taylor had 284million video and audio streams of Midnights in the first 3 days, just so we are comparing apples to apples.
Its a very good point you make Tal..

But I honestly believe that the business is promoting retro media like vinyl and cassette because they can control the profit and distribution of hardware again more than they can with the download format

It isn’t logical to use cassette decks for everyday listening. It’s not user friendly. Intended for serious listening sessions for those who have a good 2 channel stereo system.

For general listening and music research I’ll use digital

It isn’t logical to use cassette decks for everyday listening. It’s not user friendly. Intended for serious listening sessions for those who have a good 2 channel stereo system.

For general listening and music research I’ll use digital
Yeh but Clam mate.

This was analogue tape and Dolby. Love it and the sound xxxx

Here is another cassette which is extremely high standard

5241-CA2-F-F484-4706-A499-F65657-CF8-E0-F.jpg

Back