How many of you use pitch correction for your own vocals?

Do you use pitch correction on your own vocals?

• I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I only use it when absolutely necessary (time constraints, etc.).

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I use it when needed. It's just a tool like EQ, compression, etc.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Yes Please! I'll take all I can!

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
Fine tuning of pitch is just like fine tuning of output level/compression. Same shit/different aspect.

See, this is where we disagree. To me, the pitches and rhythms are much more fundamental than volume levels, compression, EQ, etc.

If you think about it, volume and EQ are constantly adjusting depending on who's listening and/or where the listener is standing in the room, or what type of headphones they're using, etc. So none of those things are constant.

However, the pitches and rhythms on a recording are constant, no matter what system you're listening on. They're embedded in the performance itself, whereas the EQ and levels are simply a byproduct of the recording environment/equipment at the time of the performance.

This is why stereo systems have EQ on them --- so you can make adjustments to suit your listening environment .. because you're not listening in the room where the song was mixed, and therefore you're not hearing the song the same way the mixing engineer was.

So that's why I think that changing pitch or nudging rhythms is inherently different than changing EQ, volume, etc.

See, this is where we disagree. To me, the pitches and rhythms are much more fundamental than volume levels, compression, EQ, etc.

If you think about it, volume and EQ are constantly adjusting depending on who's listening and/or where the listener is standing in the room, or what type of headphones they're using, etc. So none of those things are constant.

However, the pitches and rhythms on a recording are constant, no matter what system you're listening on. They're embedded in the performance itself, whereas the EQ and levels are simply a byproduct of the recording environment/equipment at the time of the performance.

This is why stereo systems have EQ on them --- so you can make adjustments to suit your listening environment .. because you're not listening in the room where the song was mixed, and therefore you're not hearing the song the same way the mixing engineer was.

So that's why I think that changing pitch or nudging rhythms is inherently different than changing EQ, volume, etc.

Purist pig! :)

LMAO! I am just kidding man.

Though there is much to be said about a perfect performance. I envy those performances that do not require any tool to help. I also envy those that have the time and money to perfect a poor one.

That being said, pitch correction (Melodyne) can also save an 'oops' in a live recording. I once corrected an open A that should have been a D in a live performance in UK for a guy that was from AUS. And that was a guitar note in a chord that I was able to fix. Not even a vocal.

A tool. Not the tool for everyone, but I don't judge. To each their own...

I think you need to meet Mr. Doppler. He would not agree with you. :-)

Last edited:
:) I'm aware of the Doppler effect. I thought about adding a disclaimer, but I figured most people would understand that I was speaking in a general sense.

Maybe the Doppler effect would come into play if you were listening to someone sing and their singing was so bad yo had to run away, like really really fast.

:) I'm aware of the Doppler effect. I thought about adding a disclaimer, but I figured most people would understand that I was speaking in a general sense.

Maybe the Doppler effect would come into play if you were listening to someone sing and their singing was so bad you had to run away, like really really fast.

Wow seems like few use it but everyone buys it. I use Antares or Waves Tune to just kind of even things out a bit. Some notes start out fine but us old guys can't quite hold the pitch like we used to. The auto tune ind of brings things back to where they should be.

Use Pitch correction (even though I can sing very well). Often notice slight missed notes way after vocal tracking's done.

Also (just to answer some stuff said above): I also use editing to nudge a mistimed note into place. That's the joy of digital recording/DAWS etc.

As for those who pronounce that it's wrong to use this stuff. That's religious dogmatism.

As for those who pronounce that it's wrong to use this stuff. That's religious dogmatism.

It's just I would rather listen to talent than technology. Stuff like pitch shifting auto tune makes a singer out of someone that can't be bothered learning how to sing or even practice singing. If thats what you want go ahead.

Alan.

It's just I would rather listen to talent than technology. Stuff like pitch shifting auto tune makes a singer out of someone that can't be bothered learning how to sing or even practice singing. If thats what you want go ahead.

Alan.

I can sing. Been to the charts singing.

Because I'm not conceited enough, or big-headed enough to pretend to be perfect like you.

John

PS My US Indie Charts top ten hits are old music, very old.

I never said I was perfect, I know I am not. and calling me big headed sounds like I hit a nerve. I suppose when you recorded your old chart hits was when there was no pitch correction, so did that harm anything.

Alan

It's just I would rather listen to talent than technology.
Alan.

THAT suggests you see anyone who uses pitch correction as untalented. Is that what you really think?
No nerves touched but I am insulted by that comment. Your posts are redolent with snobbish conceit.

Last edited:
I hardly ever use it. I prefer not and therefore seek not.
Only to adjust one (an no more) slightly bad tone in a further on nice project. If more then i want to record again, and usually i record again either way. I want to make music and do not like to patch it up. I'll even prefer more to keep one slightly bad tone. But i can cause i as no professonal do not have to fulfil highly professional demands. :cool:

THAT suggests you see anyone who uses pitch correction as untalented. Is that what you really think?
No nerves touched but I am insulted by that comment. Your posts are redolent with snobbish conceit.

You are right off track, there is no snobbish conceit involved here, you are now personally attacking me because of my thoughts on pitch correction. If you want to use it go ahead. I have not once told anyone not to use it, the original post was who uses it, I don't and I said why, why are you getting so personal about it?

I never once said that you don't know how to sing, it was you that banged on about chart songs, so I just assumed you did have talent and that was why I asked why you needed to use it, I accepted you knew how to sing?

Back