How many of you use pitch correction for your own vocals?

Do you use pitch correction on your own vocals?

• I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I only use it when absolutely necessary (time constraints, etc.).

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I use it when needed. It's just a tool like EQ, compression, etc.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Yes Please! I'll take all I can!

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
Tried some times, but I could only use it for creating BG choirs. Whenever I sing with all my heart, I have a rather distorted voice that made autotune run wild as well as it made TC VoiceLive... There are some harmonics in the voice due to the distortion, that seem to make my voice hard to track...

Tried some times, but I could only use it for creating BG choirs. Whenever I sing with all my heart, I have a rather distorted voice that made autotune run wild as well as it made TC VoiceLive... There are some harmonics in the voice due to the distortion, that seem to make my voice hard to track...

Sounds like a technique problem

Much to be appreciated about your point there. Not sure I would necessarily give that as an example because there are pitch issues there as well... Jut sayin. :)

But thankfully recording quality has improved...Whether talent has improved is a personal taste thing really.

I totally respect what you meant though. A singer should not need fixing. But...

Not sure if any of ya's are watching the voice this season but HOLY SHIT! They may be putting on a little verb on em but no auto-tune cause when the ones that do get pitchy get pitchy it's there bigger n shit...

I am blown away with the young talent this year 13, 14 and 15 year olds KILLING IT!

Kinda makes me wanna roll myself up in a big ball and die... c'est la vie

I am far from pitch perfect but close enough for government work so no auto tune for me ...suffer mutha's!

Not sure if any of ya's are watching the voice this season but HOLY SHIT! They may be putting on a little verb on em but no auto-tune cause when the ones that do get pitchy get pitchy it's there bigger n shit...

I am blown away with the young talent this year 13, 14 and 15 year olds KILLING IT!

Kinda makes me wanna roll myself up in a big ball and die...

Yeah, I was taken by the younger ones in the first two showings this season. And yep, I watch every episode since the introduction of The Voice... Only show I watch on TV other than my daughters Disney shows and Rachael Ray when I have to. Oh, and Dr. fucking Phil...

Don't roll in a ball...Burn and die proud! lol :)

It's a tool...If you can drive nails into a board with your fist you don't need a hammer...If you can't and want to drive a nail into a board, use a hammer otherwise all you have is a bloody mess.

I absolutely use it, but only in small amounts. When I started doing this mixing stuff 2 years ago, I thought you just put it up to 100% and call it a day....wow was I wrong. It only created artifacts and sounded too electronic. Now, I'm setting passages to around 50-60% and it's much smoother. Some parts don't need any, but usually a nice push in the right direction helps more than not, for me anyways.

It's also an issue of guitars not tuned properly when I'm singing, and a bass that is tuned maybe a little differently. I usually don't have the final guitar pieces in order when I sing over them, and when I do get around to them, I tune them more precisely. Not having a decent guitar tuner plug-in is part of that problem. Even with G Tune, I have to spend a few minutes going over each string. So, I may have initially sung the tune a few cents higher or lower. Those small bumps with Melodyne help.

It's also an issue of guitars not tuned properly when I'm singing, and a bass that is tuned maybe a little differently.

Good point. It's a reason I try to sing to just drums and one isolated instrument (usually an acoustic guitar if it's in tune).
I'm pretty poor at pitch (I practice daily fwiw), yet I don't like tuning vocals, but I will do it in moderation to fully realize songs. Sometimes I'll leave flat notes if they sound better than a tuned note. I don't think there's anything wrong with using it and think the people who think that way are behind the times. It's like the guys who think baseball rules from 1900 should still be enforced. When it comes to realizing a song the end justifies the means for sure.

Good point. It's a reason I try to sing to just drums and one isolated instrument (usually an acoustic guitar if it's in tune).
I'm pretty poor at pitch (I practice daily fwiw), yet I don't like tuning vocals, but I will do it in moderation to fully realize songs. Sometimes I'll leave flat notes if they sound better than a tuned note. I don't think there's anything wrong with using it and think the people who think that way are behind the times. It's like the guys who think baseball rules from 1900 should still be enforced. When it comes to realizing a song the end justifies the means for sure.

I wonder if when compression and EQ effects came out if the "purists" despised them because they altered the original take. "You don't need compression, you just need proper mic technique!" haha

I wonder if when compression and EQ effects came out if the "purists" despised them because they altered the original take. "You don't need compression, you just need proper mic technique!" haha

I don't think they did, and I would argue that most people would agree that not all "tools" are the same with regards to what they do.

For example, in two hundred years, when we've perfected the "imagineer" recording technology, in which someone only needs to imagine a piece of music in their head, and it's instantly created and recorded digitally, will those people be sitting there saying "I wonder if, when Autotune came out, the 'purists' despised it because it did some of the work for them."

I don't think they did, and I would argue that most people would agree that not all "tools" are the same with regards to what they do.

I would argue that the tools all work toward making a song sound better. Better is subjective, of course, but the end result is to make the track more to what you want it to be.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to have programs like Melodyne, Autotune, VocAlign, and whatnot. The singer would practice their parts until they can nail them perfectly. We don't live in a perfect world though. Some people like the imperfect takes, as maybe they see it as giving a song more character, whereas others like a song to be as perfect as possible to be the best representation of the idea that was in its creators' heads. I see neither as being wrong, it all depends on what the song means to you as an artist.

I will say that I feel Melodyne, Autotune, and so on are too overused in productions though. I personally use Melodyne, more as a way to "even out" a double tracked (or more) vocal part, but then my band's singer has usually been able to hit the notes.

I would argue that the tools all work toward making a song sound better. Better is subjective, of course, but the end result is to make the track more to what you want it to be.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to have programs like Melodyne, Autotune, VocAlign, and whatnot. The singer would practice their parts until they can nail them perfectly. We don't live in a perfect world though. Some people like the imperfect takes, as maybe they see it as giving a song more character, whereas others like a song to be as perfect as possible to be the best representation of the idea that was in its creators' heads. I see neither as being wrong, it all depends on what the song means to you as an artist.

I will say that I feel Melodyne, Autotune, and so on are too overused in productions though. I personally use Melodyne, more as a way to "even out" a double tracked (or more) vocal part, but then my band's singer has usually been able to hit the notes.

The world isn't perfect. Damnitt!!!

:)

Yeah, it just a tool for when it is needed. Not something I aspire to use, but in budget it makes it less of a challenge. Mind anyone, you can to some degree fix crap with Melodyne....But that is not the way I use it. Unless it is for a funeral memorial vocal by a tone deaf daughter... True story.

Fine tuning of pitch is just like fine tuning of output level/compression. Same shit/different aspect.

If you want to get really purists:

Before recording was invented people used to buy the sheet music for the song they liked, the charts were sheet music sales LOL. In each household there was usually someone that played the piano, they would get out the sheet music and play the song and sing the melody as written on the music.

No that is no eq, compression or auto tune interference. However there would have been some interpretation of the song going on, so maybe the only pure thing is to listen to the original artist acoustically singing the song. :facepalm:

Alan.

I think there was, and still is, an argument about mis-use which applies to more or less any plugin.
When I interviewed for college one of the guys asked how I'd use a compressor to shape the volume of a track.
I said "I wouldn't". He said "You're in." :p

Back