Votes: 11 8.1%

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • 5 or more...

Votes: 59 43.4%
  • I don't own any

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
14 if ya count the 12 onboard pre's. :D

Actually the onboard in the Akai DPS24 are pretty damn good when you're going for clean uncolored.

A Tampa and a ProChannel with the tube swap are the other 2. Now my wife wants me to do stupid things with our money like payin bills and crap.
:rolleyes:

I actually wasnt impressed with mine in my DPS24...but I recently got the Line6 UX8...and I have a UX2 to round out the 10 channels I can input to the Akai...I reccomend the Line 6 to anyone here...its not only good stuff...but the 8 channel was just under 500 bucks and they gave me 200 for my old 8 channel Yamaha MLA7 in trade.

Very nice... You said home made, but I'm assuming that YOU home made them? Congrats. I love to make things (though I've never done this) and I think it would be cool to record through gear I made...

Thats what Tom Scholtz did on those demos that ended up being the first Boston alblem.

I've never totaled them up before, so here goes:

Crane Song Spider - 8 ch.
Crane Song Flamingo - 2 ch.
Groove Tubes Vipres - 2 ch.
Chandler TG2 - 2 ch.
Buzz ARC 1.1s - 3 ch.
Earthworks 1024 - 4 ch.
Atlas Juggernauts - 2 ch.
Grace 101 - 1 ch.
Great River ME1NV - 1 ch.
DPA HMA4000 - 2 ch. (only works with DPA high voltage mics)
Peavey/AMR VMP2 - 2 ch.

Hmmm... looks like 29 channels of "outboard" to suppliment the 32 channels in my Neotek board.

Scott

All the ones I use are home made:

DSC02998.jpg

(From the top)

2 channel Gyraf G9 (valve)
4 channel JLM baby animal (2 with Lundhal (clean) trannies and 2 with OEP (more coloured)).
2 channel "green pre" (modern, IC opamp based)

I use the G9 most.

I also have a couple on my interface (E-MU 1820M) but I never use them.

All of mine are also home made accept mine aren"t nearly as nice looking as yours, Mine also weren"t kits, so I mostly designed my own curcuits and and etched My PCB"s (I"m sure Kevin also does that)...

I have 6CH of INA217 Based Mic pre"s (One 2ch with phantom power and ballanced outs one 4 ch with Unballanced outs and no phantom)
I also have a 2CH Green pre but It is out of commision as I used some of it for parts cuz I hardly ever used it -If anyone wants to buy 2 Populated Green pre V1.0 PCB"s let me know....

I also have a 4ch Bogen Transformer ballanced input Mic pre that I bought as little Channel strip cards for $1 each on e-bay...I built a regulated PSU for it and upgraded some of the caps and mounted XLR jacks and got rid of the screw terminals that were on them and mounted them in a really ugly wooden box, These also have Phantom power (24v) which are engaged with Jumpers on the cards...They look awefull but sound great, I"m tracking my drums with them mostly but are also great for guitar and bass....

I also have a 2ch transformer ballanced input INA217 Mic pre that I haven"t gotten arround to racking up, I also have 6ch of Channel strips from an old Console with EQ and all that other stuff but I haven"t gotten arround to figureing out what to do with them yet....

I think I have enough preamps now anyways so I have focused my attantion at building myself a high powered Guitar amp (I"ve built several 10w-50w ones)...The one I"m working on now is partly DIY Kit ,partly totally DIY ,and part consumer gear all integrated ...
It has a tube pre amp from a kit ,and a 150w Mosfet power amp from a kit, and 15 band EQ that is consumer gear and I built the PSU and Chassis...Should be done in a week or so, just have to finnish the tube pre and do all the PSU wireing and Fuses ect....should hopefully be a nice amp.....

Cheers

Calling WhiteStrat. Are you out there?

Dude--I am SO sorry. I don't subscribe to threads; I just rely on checking back. And I didn't check back in on this one (obviously). Post here again or shoot me a PM if you still need some notes on those pres--that is if you haven't already made your purchase.

I guess it's near that time in my so-called career that I have to upgrade my mic or mic pre. Just wondering how many everyone else here have? Whis is your favorite? What do you record with it most? I guess it depends..... Well... Later:D

I upgraded in 1983 and beyond. Good times spending all that loot.

I thought i knew myself very well and thought my illness was just for microphones...but i have recently discovered that i´m in for the pre game also.

So here are my guns:

Millennia Media STT1 (2)
Avalon Designs vt737sp (2)
Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5012 (2) - 4 pres
Focusrite Red 6
tc electronic Gold Channel - 2 pres
Valley 400
UREI/JBL 7510 B - 24 pres (just 10 working)
DAV Electronics BG No.1 - 2 pres
Digidesign Pre (2) - 16 pres
API 512c (4)
Purple Audio Biz (2)
AVEDIS Ma5 (2) Still haven´t arrived.
A-Designs Silver
A-Designs Blue
Waiting for 2 GB ´81s and 2 GB ´73

IMG_1855.jpg

Last edited:
I thought i knew myself very well and thought my illness was just for microphones...but i have recently discovered that i´m in for the pre game also.

So here are my guns:

Millennia Media STT1 (2)
Avalon Designs vt737sp (2)
Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5012 (2) - 4 pres
Focusrite Red 6
tc electronic Gold Channel - 2 pres
Valley 400
UREI/JBL 7510 B - 24 pres (just 10 working)
DAV Electronics BG No.1 - 2 pres
Digidesign Pre (2) - 16 pres
API 512c (4)
Purple Audio Biz (2)
AVEDIS Ma5 (2) Still haven´t arrived.
A-Designs Silver
A-Designs Blue
Waiting for 2 GB ´81s and 2 GB ´73

Oh yeah buddy...I'm in on the GB for a couple of 73's myself, plus a couple of 1200 mics. Sweet!

So what's your opinion on the Purple Biz?

Frank

So what's your opinion on the Purple Biz?

Frank

The BAE and pres arrived on the 13th of October and i haven´t had a chance to use them until this afternoon for a quick test.
My first thought is that this unit will take some time to master, it has tons of possible combinations/flavours.

Here's mine

JMK JM-130 (2)
JMK JM-110 (2) ... this one is actually a DI Pre only
Audio Upgrades High Speed Mic Preamp (2)
Symetrix SX202 (4) all Chan have Audio Upgrades' mods

I have some on mixers, but I don't use them anymore

My go to Pre is the JM-130.

My next buy will be some quad pre w/Hardy's 990c

I have 9 preamps:
(2) 2 pre's that are built into the Echo Audiofire 8
(2) Presonus Bluetube (never use the 'tube' portion of it though!)
(2) ART DPS-II
(2) FMR RNP
(1) Universal Audio Solo/110

I will keep the DPS-II for the digital outs it has so if I need 10 tracks at one time I can get that out of my Audiofire 8. I would sell the bluetube and get at least RNP or better pre's. I go to the UA and the RNP first, then the bluetube/DPS/built-ins, depending on what I'm tracking. The built-in's I can't do much about but the times I've used them they're not too bad. Plus I don't track real hot anymore (thanks to reading this forum) so I've been getting better sounds out of even the crappier pre's in my rig. All in all, I love my setup right now.

Some of you guys have some killer stuff!

I have a few stand alone pres

A Designs Pacifica (2 channels)
Groove Tubes Brick (1 channel)
Focusrite Trackmaster pro (1 channel)
ART DPS II (2 channels)

Needless to say the Pacifica is the best of the bunch

Back