Votes: 11 8.1%

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • 5 or more...

Votes: 59 43.4%
  • I don't own any

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters

monkie

I guess it's near that time in my so-called career that I have to upgrade my mic or mic pre. Just wondering how many everyone else here have? Whis is your favorite? What do you record with it most? I guess it depends..... Well... Later:D

Channels in parens.

RNP (2)
Millennia TD-1 (2)
Purple Audio Biz (1)
API 512c (2)
A Designs P-1 (2)
Peavey VMP-2 (2)
Groove Tubes MP-1 (2)
Pendulum Audio MDP-1 (2)
Neve 1272 (1)

Had a couple Symetrix SX202s, but sold them to Whitestrat.

I tend to use the Pendulum and Millennia pres for acoustic instruments.
The P-1 and GT pres get used mostly for vocals.
Everything else gets used on electric instruments and drums.

Of course there are exceptions.

This doesn't include the upcoming shipment from Chance. I have 6 pres ordered.

Channels in parens.

RNP (2)
Millennia TD-1 (2)
Purple Audio Biz (1)
API 512c (2)
A Designs P-1 (2)
Peavey VMP-2 (2)
Groove Tubes MP-1 (2)
Pendulum Audio MDP-1 (2)
Neve 1272 (1)

I tend to use the Pendulum and Millennia pres for acoustic instruments.
The P-1 and GT pres get used mostly for vocals.
Everything else gets used on electric instruments and drums.

Of course there are exceptions.

HA!!! Makes me feel so cheezy now.:D:p I wonder, when am I ever gonna get there? I guess I should've add more options to this poll. Lol.

Hey Pohaku, how'd you do it man? What's the secret?:):rolleyes::D

Oh stop bragging, we've all sold something to Whitestrat. He's the Fred G. Sanford of homerecording.com and the "G" stands for "gear." :D

I have a pre or two lying around...
John Hardy M1 (2 channels)
Demeter VTMP-2c (2 channels)
Focusrite Liquidchannel (1 channel)
and on a slow boat from China are two 84s from the groupbuy :)
I also have a Digi 003 but I never use the pres on it.

The "G" may stand for gear--but it's oh so shabby chic. I'm the king of cheap-to midland gear. A lot of it's downright decent, and in my quest to find the "next great flavor" of most anything (mics, pres, guitars) I end up going for broke on apparent quantity before I get high quality. I'm not complaining though--I'm thrilled and having fun with what I've got and haven't felt the urge to buy in a while. (So maybe I'll have the $$ to move up when I do buy again???)

Here's the preamps. (channels in parens)

ART MPA Gold (2)
ART Pro Channel strip (2)
M-Audio Octane (DMP3 pre guts) (8)
Symetrix 202--Thanks Pohaku (4)
Symetrix 528e channel strip (1)
Tascam (1804/built-ins) (4)
Rane VP12 (MS1b in a channel strip) (1)
Various mixer pres (34)
Plus a couple 73's in the group buy (2)

Last edited:
I think at my height I had 28 channels (16 ch mixer + 12 outboard). Those were in two separate rigs though.

Now I just have two channels :o

Now that's an image!!:D:D

Whitestrat, you got a pickup truck too?

Would you laugh at me if I said I had two? (My son drives one--but technically, it's mine.) And neither of them are as bad as Fred G. Sandford's truck. (Mine are an 88 & a 94). :D

I do field recording, so I usually use the on-board pres in my Edirol R44's. They are not shabby at all - probably on-par with a DMP3 or better. If I need better I have a 4-channel Sytek. I also have a VTB-1 laying around here somewhere.

Eventually, I'd like to pony up for a 4-channel API or John Hardy, but preamps are not holding me back at the moment.

Buy often and buy used:D

Thanks. Great secret.;):D

The thing about me is that somehow I just don't really trust used gears, especially when it's in the thousands of $$. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it but it's just the way I feel because I don't know what it's been through and where. I got to get over this feeling, man. Help me; convince me to think positive.:D I've seen great deals on gears before and I want it so bad but it's just not happening, the trust just ain't there.:mad: It would've saved me thousands if I buy used gears in the first place.:D I think I'm going to put up a poll about this.:D

ummm

Well if you count each pre in my mackie then I own over 16, but if you talking stand alone pres of channel strip then I own about 10.

What do you think of it... reports vary, but it's always intrigued me??

I really like that pre. I only use it on vocals because I only have one (all my guitar tracks are stereo), but it gives you a shitload of choices. Also, when you get a pre/comp combo that you really like, you have the option of saving the settings and recalling them later.

As for how good the emulations are, you're going to get all kinds of opinions. I heard some A/B tests some years back of a few of the actual pres vs. the Liquidchannel, and I thought they were really close.

14 if ya count the 12 onboard pre's. :D

Actually the onboard in the Akai DPS24 are pretty damn good when you're going for clean uncolored.

A Tampa and a ProChannel with the tube swap are the other 2. Now my wife wants me to do stupid things with our money like payin bills and crap.
:rolleyes:

Back