How many mic's do you record your drums with, and what drum mics do you own

i figure this could be a little fun

I use 9 mic's normally

sm57 [snare]
2 at2020 [overhangs]
1 at2021 [hi hat]
4 samson tom mics [toms]
d6 kick [kick]

I've got to say for the price, this set up is amazing. These mic's all are basically discount price, and sound professional as can be.

Right now, I use 4....603's as overheads, e609 kick, and 58 for snare...but I just started playing drums, so it's all pretty new to me.

7 total.

Pair of MXL 603's as overheads in X/Y configuration
Beyer M201 on snare
(2) SM57 - one on each rack tom
Audio Technica ATM25 on floor tom
EV RE20 on kick

EDIT: Occasionally I'll also use a pair of MSH-1 as room mics, bringing the total up to 9.

Last edited:
i only really record drums at the moment as demos, so i've been using the recorderman (i think) technique with just two overheads and a kick mic... i appreciate my brother being good, and being able to give me more of whatever part of the kit i think i'll need in the final mix, hehe.

most i've used is 6... 2 OH, Kick, Snare Rack tom and floor tom, i think.

Andrew.

Superlux FK2 on kick
ES-57 on snare
either 2 MXL 603's or 2 Superlux CM-H8A (if I'm feeling saucy) on overheads
3 CAD M37's for rack toms
2 CAD M177 on floor toms
Nady TCM1100 as a room mic
8" sub kick mic

What?:)

7. Cad-Pro 7 pc kit. Not the best mics, but they're not terrible.
O/H's in the recorderman config.

I like big toms and a wide drum stereo field. I mix my drums from the drummers perspective because thats how I like it. My methods may not be the most popular, but I like it, and it's my stuff, so thats how it is. Everything is close mic'd and the song dictates how much close mic'ing I mix in with the O/H's.

I mix my drums from the drummers perspective because thats how I like it. My methods may not be the most popular, but I like it, and it's my stuff, so thats how it is.

Ok brother, relax. Everything's cool. :D :D:D:p

7. Cad-Pro 7 pc kit. Not the best mics, but they're not terrible.
O/H's in the recorderman config.

I like big toms and a wide drum stereo field. I mix my drums from the drummers perspective because thats how I like it. My methods may not be the most popular, but I like it, and it's my stuff, so thats how it is. Everything is close mic'd and the song dictates how much close mic'ing I mix in with the O/H's.

yea ive used the cad 7 peice before, and you really cant beat it for the money. The smason 5 and 7 kit are just as nice too. It's crazy how you can get such nice mic's to record durms for such a ow price now aday's. gotta love the chinese haha.

For the future if your interested, at2020 condensors are amazing overhangs! they are cheap, and pick up incredibly. and the at2021 is really nice too, i have i use with my hihat.

Kick - Beta 52
Toms - Beta 56 ( 3)
Snare top - Beta 56
Over Heads - Kel MH-1 (2)
Room - Groove Tube GT55

Some times I will use 2 more.
Snare botthom - Joe Meek JM 27
H-Hat - Joe Meek JM 27

I just did some Drums for a friend on Tuesday and my setup was a combo of my mics and the studio's 414's and beta 52 as follows...

OH: .................2 x AT 4051's
Kick..................Beta 52
Kick 2................AT 4050
Snare:
Top..................AKG 414
Bottom..............SM57
M Tom...............MD 421
F Tom................AKG 414

All of this through a Mackie 24x8 :(
Got a pretty decent sound but I still don't like the 24x8; makes me wanna gag. But there was an RNP chillin there that I put to use on the snare... mixing it down I like the OH sounds but my Mounted Tom and the snare are weak in comparisson. I could blame it on the shitty alesis monitors I had to track with but that would only be 1/2 true. In all fairness I wanted to make teh snare drum sound better there but got the response of "we'll just drumagog it..." :rolleyes:

I think I should have scratched the kick2 and used the 4050 on the Mtom and the 421 on snare... next time maybe. But now I've got the Sytek Mpx-4 and I'm dying to try it on drums. Just did some quick vocals with it since it came and needless to say it rocked pretty hard.

Oh boy, it depends on my mood, but my current favorite setup...

Overheads: Audio Technica 4040's
Snare: Nady SCM-960
Kick: Sennheiser e902
Rack Toms: Senn e904
Floor Tom: e902 or MD-421
Room: Nady TRM-6 tube ribbon and AT 2020

Depending on the drummer, I'll switch the 4040's out for AKG 451's or MK-012's on overheads.

Kick - Beta 52
Toms - Beta 56 ( 3)
Snare top - Beta 56
Over Heads - Kel MH-1 (2)
Room - Groove Tube GT55

Some times I will use 2 more.
Snare botthom - Joe Meek JM 27
H-Hat - Joe Meek JM 27

How do you like those Kels? Are they good?

6 for me usually.

Kick - Beta 52
Snare - sm57
Toms - (2) sm57's
OH - Rode NT5's

I am going to try out an i5 on snare soon, and the 57's are killing my toms untill I can afford something better, maybe some 421's.

Usually 7.
1-Kick. Anything form a D-112 to an SM-57
2-Snare. Either an MD-441, C-1000 or a 57
3- Rack Toms. Either a C-1000, an MK-012 or a 57
4-Floor Tom. Either a C-3000, a D-112 or a 57
5&6-Overheads. Either a pair of Earthworks SR-71's, AT4033's or KM-184's
7-Kick Front resonant head. Usually an Groove Tubes AM-52 in figure 8

Either 2 condensers as overheads (Nady CM90s, about as cheap as you can get) with an SM 57 on the snare, and a CAD mic in the kick. Lately I've been swapping out the overheads with the CAD mics on the toms, and bringing up the cymbals with EQ.

I'm thinking about getting a small 4 input mixer and running the 2 tom mics along with the 2 overheads as a stereo mix into my Firebox, and keeping the kick and snare separate. Anyone else doing that?

Uhhh, what about options 1, 2 and 3? I've done all those, though sometimes I use four, also.

The funny thing is that I can use four carefully placed mikes through four preamps, record separate tracks and then process and tinker with stuff for a while or I can throw up a few RE-55s, crank them through the Altec tube mixer and get a big, fat mono mix in next to no time and it fits just about as well in most of my tracks, especially if I slam it onto the M-79 first.

Cheers,

Otto

Back