how do you get that Zed Leppelin sound?

Take 2 overhead condensers, set them up above the kit and aim one at the snare and the other at the kick. That's just about all I know.

I saw a documentary and the guy that produced it said they only used either two or three mics. I can't remember which. He didn't say the brand of mics. They hung them from the banister of some stairs.

I like Josephson C42 sdcs on OH and I like a spaced pair of omni room mics (I use 4050s). YMMV, and the room matters a lot when you are using room mics.

If you've got the mics, mic the toms. You don't have to use the tracks.

Greg taught me how to phase align tracks and it really opens up the top end.

I like my SM81's on overheads but depending on what sound you are going for you might want to try some LDC's rather than SDC's. If you have a solid LDC for vocals you could potentially get another identical mic. That will save you some dough. If you need a good LDC for vocals then you can kill two birds with one stone by getting a pair for overheads.

I saw a documentary and the guy that produced it said they only used either two or three mics. I can't remember which. He didn't say the brand of mics. They hung them from the banister of some stairs.
I think that was just for the recording of the drums on "When the Levee breaks", referring to the famous stairwell. And these were just the extra mikes for the punchy ambience.
I've long been fascinated that for a mic set up that has had so much written about it for 40+ years, they only ever did it once, for that song.

I think that was just for the recording of the drums on "When the Levee breaks", referring to the famous stairwell. And these were just the extra mikes for the punchy ambience.
I've long been fascinated that for a mic set up that has had so much written about it for 40+ years, they only ever did it once, for that song.

Yep. Correct sir.

Take 2 overhead condensers, set them up above the kit and aim one at the snare and the other at the kick. That's just about all I know.

I've been waiting 2 years for that reply to this thread!

It's nice to see this though. It makes me realize that I have in fact learned a lot about recording over that last two years even though they feel kind of useless sometimes.

Shortly after this I bought a pair of SM81s from moresound that I'm still using :D
Not at the same time though.
I actually prefer using one mic on drums in a weird position - between the rack and floor toms.
I know it seems like it would sound terrible, but for me it works.

I've been waiting 2 years for that reply to this thread!

It's nice to see this though. It makes me realize that I have in fact learned a lot about recording over that last two years even though they feel kind of useless sometimes.

Shortly after this I bought a pair of SM81s from moresound that I'm still using :D
Not at the same time though.
I actually prefer using one mic on drums in a weird position - between the rack and floor toms.
I know it seems like it would sound terrible, but for me it works.

Whatever works for any given situation and in any particular room is good. The problem is, that that is not typically the right choice for everyone.

The 'Zed Leppelin sound' is not from two mics alone. The room, the player and another 100 variables made it sound that way. What the hell does 'Zed Leppelin' mean anyway?

The 'Zed Leppelin sound' is not from two mics alone. The room, the player and another 100 variables made it sound that way.
That's true too. Jimmy Page was also a great exponent of distance miking. He's long said that for him, distance = depth. He recorded guitars and drums from a distance.

This is kind of off topic, but I've had younger guys say that Metallica is their generation's Zeppelin, and that they believed Metallica is every bit as talented as Zeppelin. I think they're full of shit. Page was an experienced studio guy, as was Jones. Metallica was popular I will grant, but not as popular or as talented as Zeppelin. Just my opinion, but I think I'm right on this one. LOL!

This is kind of off topic, but I've had younger guys say that Metallica is their generation's Zeppelin, and that they believed Metallica is every bit as talented as Zeppelin. I think they're full of shit. Page was an experienced studio guy, as was Jones. Metallica was popular I will grant, but not as popular or as talented as Zeppelin. Just my opinion, but I think I'm right on this one. LOL!

+2,00000000000000 I think Metallica just can't reach that level. Not saying they are not talented, just don't see them at that level.

Back