How do you create this effect?

CPFC1985

Hi all, I have a harmony backing vocal part I'm struggling with. It's 4 beats, first note comes in on beat 1 and lasts till the end of beat 4, second note in on beat 2 last till end of beat 4, third note on beat 3 and fourth on beat 4, all lasting till the end of beat 4. This then repeats 4 times.

I'm trying to create something similar to what is heard at about the 1:04 mark on this track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqn3femtNWU

Has that sudden impact with each note. I've assumed it's some kind of side chain compression? I've tried using Waves C1-SC but with no such luck. Any ideas? Cheers.

Hi,
I think the main thing is just how it's sung. Each note has to be his square and strong. No gradually sliding into it or any of that.

That aside, there's something slightly unnatural about the thing (apart from the fact that it's the same voice).
I think it's either the same recorded note used in a sampler, or each part has been tuned to be in perfect harmony.

I could be wrong, but I think recording one strong note into a sampler then triggering your melody with a keyboard (or midi) would probably get you the sound you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi,
I think the main thing is just how it's sung. Each note has to be his square and strong. No gradually sliding into it or any of that.

That aside, there's something slightly unnatural about the thing (apart from the fact that it's the same voice).
I think it's either the same recorded note used in a sampler, or each part has been tuned to be in perfect harmony.

I could be wrong, but I think recording one strong note into a sampler then triggering your melody with a keyboard (or midi) would probably get you the sound you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

Agreed it is unnatural, I have tried recording the 4 parts separately and also using the same part and re-tuning it but to no avail. Maybe it's the impact of the 'B' at the beginning of the example and mine starts with 'Ah', 'B' hits you that bit harder.

Good singing would do it.

Dang!! Unfortunately I can only rely on my trusty Melodyne for vocal parts. :D

I don't think compression is doing it--it sounds like a woman doing multiple overdubs. Sure, it's likely compressed, but it's the singer just repeating the same phrases. If individual short phrases are on multiple tracks, it's easy whilst mixing to manipulate the levels to get them to rise and fall. It comes down to the singer having the skills to sing at the right time, over and over again.
I've done this--I usually record five takes (for each different part). Sometimes I'll mute some of the background instruments on the track if it's throwing off my timing or my ability to hear in the monitor mix; that depends on how far along the overall recording is, but usually the backing vocals get done last. Sing the first one, listen back and record the next copy, using the first as a guide. Then, mute the second one, and repeat the process (but always choose the guide from the best take. It usually isn't the first with me, but rather the second or third). I then solo each one, making sure there aren't any screw-ups, though you can usually leave a slightly flat or sharp miss in there--it seems to just blend in, but not always. I top and tail them, use automation to knock down any errant peaks and valleys (each track) and then send them all to a buss. Then they get some mild compression and invariably reverb, usually right in the buss' insert slot. Then I mix it in.
So, forget side-chaining a compressor, or whatever. If you want that sound you need a female vocalist who can sing and hit her marks.

I've done this with Waves Doubler many times. You can 'detune' +/- pitch, set stereo position, delay, and modulation, all in one plug.
You can toggle the original on or off, and add as many as 4 'doubles'

Because of the delay, and modulation, you can get it very natural sounding.

If you are on the fence, or looking to test solutions, demo it... you'll be impressed

Back