How do I know what treatment I need?

Chilli_D

I've been looking around for a while now trying to read up on room treatment and I guess I just don't understand WHAT I'm listening for. I've been told that room treatment is necessary for my mixing room, I just don't know what I really need. I hear talk of people saying their mixes don't translate or they are or aren't hearing certain things, but I'm not sure I know what all these things sound like. Am I over thinking this or am I missing something? I just don't get what I should be looking for I guess.

Wow, intensive! Not even halfway through and I already understand so much more than I did. It's off to band rehearsal right now but I'll finish it when I get home. Thanks alot! I've seen your name and website all over the place throughout my search and that first page you posted is great. This is all making sense, thank you!

EDIT: While I'm here and before I forget, as I was reading that page I started to think about an issue I've always wondered how to resolve. During practice in my friends basement, all concrete walls, on certain notes on the bass the snare drum produces a hideous rattle. We can't necessarily hear this while we're all playing but I know it's gotta be there and I always figured there must be a simple solution but I just don't know what that is. I thought it might be a good idea to mention this here as it pertains (I think) to exactly what we're discussing.

Wow, intensive! Not even halfway through and I already understand so much more than I did. It's off to band rehearsal right now but I'll finish it when I get home. Thanks alot! I've seen your name and website all over the place throughout my search and that first page you posted is great. This is all making sense, thank you!

EDIT: While I'm here and before I forget, as I was reading that page I started to think about an issue I've always wondered how to resolve. During practice in my friends basement, all concrete walls, on certain notes on the bass the snare drum produces a hideous rattle. We can't necessarily hear this while we're all playing but I know it's gotta be there and I always figured there must be a simple solution but I just don't know what that is. I thought it might be a good idea to mention this here as it pertains (I think) to exactly what we're discussing.

Snares rattle - that's what they do. Bass note caused the snare to vibrate sympathetically.

This is natural. Don't worry about it. The cure is worse than the disease.

Welcome to HR.

Perhaps the treatment you need is... the SILENT treatment.:D

Sorry, dude, but I've been resisting posting that for days, finally gave in.

Back